Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Do you feel it'll have any type of replayability?

Still not a bad value for the $45 I paid for it on Steam.

Maybe to play through on hard. But since you can quick travel to previous camps, it makes it easy to go back and find all the stuff you missed and going back to get that stuff is made easier by the fact there are spots you can't get to till you have certain items so just gives you another reason to head back to the older areas.

That said, I can see myself playing it again just because it is a good game. I replayed the Uncharted games and this is very much like them.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Do you feel it'll have any type of replayability?

Still not a bad value for the $45 I paid for it on Steam.

That's pretty decent for 8 hours in and still more to go. I like games like these so many others don't last long. I'm a big fan of uncharted and I would try and explore as much as I could and find treasures. I could not get into the the last tomb raider for ps3 but seems like I will like this one.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Recently passed the water part that Conan showed on the his video. It was intense.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Recently passed the water part that Conan showed on the his video. It was intense.

When I came to that part, I knew it was that section before going into the war. I was like don't worry Lara, you wont die on me! lol

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So far I'm getting 50-70 fps on ultimate at 1920x1080 with tres fx and I think I have it at x16 atrisxopic filter or whichever. Sometimes it goes as low as 40fps and as high as 80 but cutscenes stay at 30 for some reason.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
So far I'm getting 50-70 fps on ultimate at 1920x1080 with tres fx and I think I have it at x16 atrisxopic filter or whichever. Sometimes it goes as low as 40fps and as high as 80 but cutscenes stay at 30 for some reason.

Is there a way to show FPS all the time?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm using that fps capture program I can't remember the name but it's minimized and running while I play.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
About an hour in. Game looks great on Ultra. Lara is easy on the eyes. I had no idea there was XP in this game, it feels like literally every game has this now...XP and skill trees.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
About an hour in. Game looks great on Ultra. Lara is easy on the eyes. I had no idea there was XP in this game, it feels like literally every game has this now...XP and skill trees.

I agree and hunting lol. I have ssao on normal as I don't think it looks any different. Definitely running great.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I got through the introduction before going to work, about to start back up soon. I never really played the previous Tomb Raider games but I'm liking it so far. Definitely made it feel worthwhile for my new 7870.

Managing at around 1920x1200, 4xAF, FXAA, TressFX and Ultra settings hovering around 30-45FPS on my system.

Since someone asked, TressFX is AMD-developed DC tech. That's why it doesn't run so well on nVidia.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I got caught twice. :(

lol, I've only died a few times total so far. Twice during actual combat, once because I thought/hoped I could make a jump that I found out I couldn't lol, and a few times due to 2 different QTE's that were rather annoying.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Since someone asked, TressFX is AMD-developed DC tech. That's why it doesn't run so well on nVidia.

DirectCompute is a part of Microsoft's DirectX library. AMD's GCN architecture simply runs DirectCompute faster

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
DirectCompute is a part of Microsoft's DirectX library. AMD's GCN architecture simply runs DirectCompute faster

Yup. The reason nvidia's cards are running pretty crappy is because an nvidia rep said they didn't get the games final code till a week ago and a lot changed, that is why we don't even have some beta drivers now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I want to start over. Anyone know where the save games location is ? I rushed through. I need to get to bed ugh. Runs better with all settings on ultimate rather than ssao on normal and everything else set to highest for some reason.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It has a lot more qte than uncharted did. I have yet to finish uncharted though. I really think it's worth it. Seems to be a pretty long game. I spent 3 hours yesterday and that was just me rushing through it to get a sense of the game. I think I had 17% complete. Or maybe that was 17 % in found treasures.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
SERIOUSLY LARA CROFT,

What's wrong with you?

You have become a wimpy little girl that gets a nervous breakdown by shooting someone, constantly crying for help about every little thing. Wolves attacking in the forest, oh my!

Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome game but I miss the Lara from decades back who kicked ass, ran into a group of bads and you knew s# will fly.

Who's that, Emo-Lara? Seriously.... I want my kickass Lara back!

did you not read ANYTHING about the game before buying it? I read very little and I still know that this is like a prequel, the beginning of becoming Lara Croft, Tomb Raider.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
im posting in this thread because the console thread is dead.

this game is simply incredible. i'm not playing it on a super high end (xbox 360) and it's simply amazing. im playing it on my 120" screen with my incredible sound, and this is as close to playing a movie as i've ever experienced. the weapons sound incredible. i still remember the first time you shoot the pistol (don't want to spoil) and i was like HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!

someone asked if this is like uncharted... well i'm a HUGE fan of uncharted and i think that tomb raider is a step above uncharted. it is just more gritty and realistic and now i can see uncharted trying to go this route a bit more in the next iteration (probably on ps4). it's also very intense and i feel it is paced better than uncharted. i'm only 3 hours in though so not sure if it changes.

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
In case anyone is wondering Titan doesn't handle the hair effects very well at all. Slows down to around 40-45 and feels choppy. Hair color runs all over also. Have to use FXAA to maintain 60. Still looks incredible though, not blurry at all. I suck at this game so far, haven't got the mechanics down yet, wolves are kicking my butt.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
It has a lot more qte than uncharted did. I have yet to finish uncharted though. I really think it's worth it. Seems to be a pretty long game. I spent 3 hours yesterday and that was just me rushing through it to get a sense of the game. I think I had 17% complete. Or maybe that was 17 % in found treasures.

While the first Uncharted was good, Uncharted 2 was the bees knees. I didnt play Uncharted all the way through until after I finished Uncharted 2.

im posting in this thread because the console thread is dead.

this game is simply incredible. i'm not playing it on a super high end (xbox 360) and it's simply amazing. im playing it on my 120" screen with my incredible sound, and this is as close to playing a movie as i've ever experienced. the weapons sound incredible. i still remember the first time you shoot the pistol (don't want to spoil) and i was like HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!

someone asked if this is like uncharted... well i'm a HUGE fan of uncharted and i think that tomb raider is a step above uncharted. it is just more gritty and realistic and now i can see uncharted trying to go this route a bit more in the next iteration (probably on ps4). it's also very intense and i feel it is paced better than uncharted. i'm only 3 hours in though so not sure if it changes.

Thats quite a statement, but I would point out that Uncharted isnt about realism, its pure action adventure. Its like that feeling you got when you first saw Temple of Doom. It would be a shame if they went the realism route. And it looks Naughty Dog is using The Last of Us to do a little realism.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
While the first Uncharted was good, Uncharted 2 was the bees knees. I didnt play Uncharted all the way through until after I finished Uncharted 2.

Thats quite a statement, but I would point out that Uncharted isnt about realism, its pure action adventure. Its like that feeling you got when you first saw Temple of Doom. It would be a shame if they went the realism route. And it looks Naughty Dog is using The Last of Us to do a little realism.

yeah don't get me wrong, i LOVE the uncharted series and own all 3 of the ps3 games and enjoy them all. but tomb raider just takes it up another notch imo. it isn't just the realism. it is just the presentation and style of the game. it just feels "more" movie like than uncharted did imo. like with the different camera angles and just being grittier, something about it is just amazing. the control is also much better than uncharted imo, which could have a lot to do with it too.