To our Gulf Coast/Florida TeAm mates: God bless and be safe!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
I'm still alive and kicking. Thanks for asking. As I posted in the "Rita" thread, I just got my phone service back late last night.

This has been an unbelievable hurricane season. :(

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: RaySun2Be
Smoke, glad you're hanging in there! :) Great to see ya posting again! :D

and sadly, that is an understatement. :(

Man, I am glad you are ok :) Glad you have phone service restored. I hope things are going better for you. All of you deserve a break from all this crazy weather.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
Originally posted by: RaySun2Be
Smoke, glad you're hanging in there! :) Great to see ya posting again! :D

and sadly, that is an understatement. :(

Man, I am glad you are ok :) Glad you have phone service restored. I hope things are going better for you. All of you deserve a break from all this crazy weather.
Ditto that ,good to hear from ya Greg :)

HayHauler

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Good to see you posting again Smokeball! Glad to hear that you are OK.
We just got back to the house tonight at about 10:30 p.m. Central time. We
don't have any damage, but if the storm had not turned to the North and
went over the Texas / Louisiana border, it would have gone right over
downtown Houston and crippled the town for "no tellin' how long".

We're back home save,
and we have Electricity!!!
Hay
:beer: for the TeAm, and Smoke of course!

HayHauler

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
Good to hear that you are well and that the damage is quite limited, Hay! :)
:beer: for U

Thanks petrusbroder, it was quite an experience. 12 hours to the minute for a normally
3 hour trip to my mom's house. 180 miles in 12 hours. Lots of sitting on the road
without movement for several minutes at a time. I was up for 32 hours straight. I still
haven't caught up on sleep. zzzzzzzz

Well, gotta git out to work, need to get groceries out to some of our customers that
need them the most. Company has been closed for 3 days. :(

HayHauler
:beer: for the TeAm!!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: HayHauler
Good to hear that you are well and that the damage is quite limited, Hay! :)
:beer: for U

Thanks petrusbroder, it was quite an experience. 12 hours to the minute for a normally
3 hour trip to my mom's house. 180 miles in 12 hours. Lots of sitting on the road
without movement for several minutes at a time. I was up for 32 hours straight. I still
haven't caught up on sleep. zzzzzzzz

Well, gotta git out to work, need to get groceries out to some of our customers that
need them the most. Company has been closed for 3 days. :(

HayHauler
:beer: for the TeAm!!

Yeah, you have some responsability - but take care! A sleep deficit does not go away in one nights sleep - or 3 hours sleep. I have that experience too, on-call-duty for a day, a night, an the following day. At least I feel as if I had at least 3 beers too many at he end of such a period - and that when being completely sober ... :( ;)

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Here is a bit of news that I am most delighted to report.

Flash: The City of Biloxi's water supply is now declared safe to drink.

For the last month the only safe water to drink was the bottled water so appreciatively brought in by FEMA, the RED CROSS, and many, many FAITH BASED INSTITUTIONS. The people of Biloxi and the whole Mississippi Gulf Coast cannot say "Thank You" enough. :heart:

You do not realize how important are life's basic necessities, until you do not have them.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
That's Good News Greg -

I know in a small way what it's like: due to a system problem we had to boil it here for a week a while back - it really makes you appreciate the simple action of turning on the tap & having good clean water come out. :D

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
A sleep deficit does not go away in one nights sleep - or 3 hours sleep. I have that experience too, on-call-duty for a day, a night, an the following day. At least I feel as if I had at least 3 beers too many at he end of such a period - and that when being completely sober ... :( ;)

Got yesterday and today off. Been putting in 80+ hr weeks since Katrina hit.

Supposed to be time to get things done at home but so tired and neck is hurting.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Take care dmcowen674, and sleep well one more night, and get someone to give your neck a good massage! :) It may hurt, but feels well later ... :p

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Put some more pics up.

Got a Katrina kitty yesterday too. Didn't put pic of her up yet though.

http://www.mcowen.com/images/Katrina/Katrina.htm

Still no pick up of the huge piles of debris lining the street.

Still no sign of Insurance Adjuster.

We have a friend that will be staying a long time while her Condo has been stripped to the frame to be completely re-done.

Edit: In Memory of Richard Brown III

Cookie's owner didn't make it. A tree landed on his head during the storm here.

:(

rose.gif

We adopted his cat Cookie.

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Thanks for the pictures, Dave. That gives us all a good insight to some of your exploits of the last month or so. :)

I have been plugging away, among other things, at trying to get my swimming pool cleaned up. The builder warned me to "not" drain it. There would be a risk that if the water table was high enough my "empty" pool could just pop out of the ground ... completely ruining it.

So for the past month each morning while the temperature was cool I would work away with my "pool rake" (a garden hose type vacuum bag) for an hour or so getting 4 or 5 small mesh bags full of leaves, branches, twigs and pool screen material. Slow work for sure. I probably got two large leaf sized trash bags full out during that time frame.

Yesterday morning the mesh bag became detached and got lost in the murky depths. I tried for about an hour to locate it with a rod 'n reel without success. Since we have had little rain since Hurricane Katrina I felt the water table could not be very high. So after thinking about it most of the day I decided to take a gamble and started draining the pool around 5 PM. At midnight, the pool had only two to three feet of water in the deep end. I decided that was as low as I dared to drain it.

Before daybreak I anxiously checked on the status of the pool. Thank goodness, it was still in the ground.

I didn't waste any time and after snapping a couple of photographs I climbed down into the pool and started raking (with a real rake) the debris out of the deep end into the shallow end. In a couple of hours I had picked up four large leaf trash bags worth of stuff. At the rate I had been working (with the garden hose pool rake) I would have had to toil away for many months to accomplish what I did in the course of a couple of hours.

The following jpg was taken at BMT (Beginning Morning Twilight for you non-military types :p). The debris you see in the shallow end more than tripled by the time I had raked up the deep end.

My pool drained as far as I dared at dawn on October 13, 2005

I have now started to refill it which should take between 36 to 48 hours. Though the pool is still filthy I should now see some progress when I get the filtration system going again and shock (with chlorine) the hell out of it. I had dumped over $300 worth of chemicals into the pool in the last month. I had no idea there was that much "stuff" in the bottom of the pool. I was really spinning my wheels. :disgust:

I have had nine trees removed from around my home. Four were blown entirely down on the ground but all narrowly missed the house. The other trees were leaning very severely with their root balls lifted on one side.

Only my brick fence held the root ball of this tree from completely lifting out of the ground and falling onto my bedroom.

Still waiting on a roofer to replace the blown off shingles. I may end up getting the Corps of Engineers to come by and give me a temporary "blue roof" until I can get a contractor to do the repairs.

Then there is of course the screen covering over the pool. I don't know when I will be able to get that repaired.

The broken portion of the screen enclosure's framework outside my bedroom windows.

All in all, things are starting to look up. We have just started a two-week long town meeting where the future course of Biloxi will be formulated. Not many cities that are over 300 years old get to decide how they should be "re-modeled". :)

Slatzman

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for the pics Dave...good to hear things are looking up for you to Smoke.

Just goes to show how lucky we were over in Houston...had Rita not jogged to the north...things around here would have been incredibly bad.

Slatz

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Smoke
Thanks for the pictures, Dave. That gives us all a good insight to some of your exploits of the last month or so. :)

All in all, things are starting to look up. We have just started a two-week long town meeting where the future course of Biloxi will be formulated. Not many cities that are over 300 years old get to decide how they should be "re-modeled". :)

You too Greg. Glad things are getting better over there.

We adopted a Katrina kitten over the weekend her owner died from the brain injury he received when the tree landed on his head during the storm.

No progress over here in my immediate subdivision. We have no Doctors or Lawyers etc like the subdivisions with the golf course across the street that has been all picked up and is spotless. We sit here with piles of rotting debris and trees still.

I called and they said they don't have the money to clear unincorporated parts of the Parish, that they are trying to get a $10 million loan and it could be up to two years. In other words they expect us to either live this way or figure out a way to clear this stuff ourselves which is impossible if you saw the size of the tree that went on my house.

Still working 12 hr shifts at my job which helps pay for the $144 a week in gas now that gas is at $3 gal. Everybody I work with is going to Hawaii but I'm a contractor so I am stuck on this rock.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
That's sucks they won't clear up your area!:disgust:

Hope they get their finger out soon!

Long shifts your working Dave :(
I see your petrol has gone up a big chunk ,at least its not as expensive as ours though , we pay the equivalent of $6.39/US Gal :(

What's a condo?

Greg
Good to hear your getting on ,I guess you must be running out of stuff you can do if your sorting your pool out now ;)
I hope your not exerting yourself too much ,how you been feeling lately?

All the best to both of ya

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
That's sucks they won't clear up your area!:disgust:

Hope they get their finger out soon!

Long shifts your working Dave :(
I see your petrol has gone up a big chunk ,at least its not as expensive as ours though , we pay the equivalent of $6.39/US Gal :(

What's a condo?

Greg
Good to hear your getting on ,I guess you must be running out of stuff you can do if your sorting your pool out now ;)
I hope your not exerting yourself too much ,how you been feeling lately?

All the best to both of ya

A Condo is the same as an Apartment or Flat as you guys call them but you own it instead of renting it.

Edit: Two things happened today. Insurance adjuster finally arrived. He left before I could get home by ten mibutes and I left work early to rush home. He told Ida we will get a half a new roof. Not replacing the front of the house roof.

I'm going to ask the Insurance Company if they routinely insure new homes where the developer only puts on half a roof.

The other thing that happened is crews came by and picked up the giant pile of debris lining the street in front of the house.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
At least they got rid of the rubbish :)

I take it both parts of the roof are damaged? ,what are they playing at???:confused: