To: Atheists/Agnostics etc.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Because it strongly implies that you need more. A point of entry requires something to enter.

I guess. To me it is equivalent. I would come into an argument with my strongest point, aka my basis. Dunno, to each their own. That is not what I was trying to imply.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
How am I ignoring it? I'm acknowledging it and deciding it can't be proven nor disproven.

So, if your arrogance leads you to believe that me not being able to prove something therefor means it does not exist, then it doesn't exist according to you. But that's your stance, you can't force it onto me.

How is it "arrogance" on my part to refuse to believe your assertion, when you can't provide even one bit of evidence to back up your assertion?

Are you arrogant for not believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
How is it "arrogance" on my part to refuse to believe your assertion, when you can't provide even one bit of evidence to back up your assertion?

Are you arrogant for not believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Where have I asserted anything, other than a lack of evidence?

Nov 29, 2006

I think what he is getting as is why would anyone believe anything without hard evidence? Its the same reason nobody believes in the FSM or unicorns that fart rainbows, or the tooth fairy.

I mean you can tell your kid all you want the tooth fairy will put a quarter under your pillow, but nobody really believes that. Why? No evidence of such a thing happening. Well other than the evidence you are lying to your kid and you yourself putting the quarter under his pillow :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Re-read your posts and find that I may have assumed too much, however I remain suspicious. Regardless, how does my position make me the "arrogant" one?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I think what he is getting as is why would anyone believe anything without hard evidence? Its the same reason nobody believes in the FSM or unicorns that fart rainbows, or the tooth fairy.

I mean you can tell your kid all you want the tooth fairy will put a quarter under your pillow, but nobody really believes that. Why? No evidence of such a thing happening. Well other than the evidence you are lying to your kid and you yourself putting the quarter under his pillow :)

Because he or she sees evidence where you do not.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
If I was completely sold on there being no God or afterlife, I sincerly believe I would have put a gun to my head long ago.

I view it the opposite way. It is because I believe that there is nothing after this life that I find my life so valuable. I find existance valuable. Death is the greatest fear I have. It is frightening to know that one day you will simply cease to exist.

On the other hand, believing in an afterlife would be great. Who would care if I died, then? I get to life for eternity anyway. Usher in the next life!

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Re-read your posts and find that I may have assumed too much, however I remain suspicious. Regardless, how does my position make me the "arrogant" one?

Because if the stance you're taking is that if I cannot prove something to be true if I make a claim, therefor it is false, it is an arrogant stance. As in you'll take that stance whether it is true or not.

That is how you're coming across.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Because if the stance you're taking is that if I cannot prove something to be true if I make a claim, therefor it is false, it is an arrogant stance. As in you'll take that stance whether it is true or not.

That is how you're coming across.

I don't say that it's False because of the lack of evidence. I merely can't accept it as True, due to the lack of evidence.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I don't say that it's False because of the lack of evidence. I merely can't accept it as True, due to the lack of evidence.

But this in and of itself does not prove something false. You can make any number of unprovable claims which would be equally as pointless to pursue, such as a flying spaghetti monster. However if I could somehow disprove the flying spaghetti monster, this would not disprove God.

What makes God "impossible" to disprove are the properties assigned to him.

Nov 29, 2006
I will allude to a previous post of mine where your level of required evidence likely surpasses theirs.

If by surpasses theirs you mean they dont require any, than maybe you have a point LOL. Which all comes back to them being retarded with defective brains :p

Nov 29, 2006
But this in and of itself does not prove something false. You can make any number of unprovable claims which would be equally as pointless to pursue, such as a flying spaghetti monster. However if I could somehow disprove the flying spaghetti monster, this would not disprove God.

Those same properties make it also impossible for them to prove. In that case these people are bat shit crazy believing in things that many would kill over and have, without a lick of proof. o_O

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Those same properties make it also impossible for them to prove. In that case these people are bat shit crazy believing in things that many would kill over and have, without a lick of proof. o_O

Aha! This is my same conclusion. That he is neither provable nor disprovable.

Feb 6, 2007

The flying spaghetti monster is an analog for God. It is no more possible to prove or disprove the existence of the flying spaghetti monster than it is to prove or disprove the existence of God. They are both metaphysical beings which we are physically incapable of observing or detecting with any test. So the very notion of "disproving the flying spaghetti monster" is inherently as impossible as disproving God, and therefore not worthy of any serious consideration. I suppose that you are correct in the assertion that disproving the existence of one metaphysical being does not disprove the existence of all metaphysical beings, but since we can't do the former, the latter is irrelevant.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Certainly, but why should I Believe?

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010

How would you define this "God"?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
The flying spaghetti monster is an analog for God. It is no more possible to prove or disprove the existence of the flying spaghetti monster than it is to prove or disprove the existence of God. They are both metaphysical beings which we are physically incapable of observing or detecting with any test. So the very notion of "disproving the flying spaghetti monster" is inherently as impossible as disproving God, and therefore not worthy of any serious consideration. I suppose that you are correct in the assertion that disproving the existence of one metaphysical being does not disprove the existence of all metaphysical beings, but since we can't do the former, the latter is irrelevant.

Just as I wouldn't put any effort into proving or disproving the FSM, either.