To: Atheists/Agnostics etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Annisman*, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Retro Rob

Retro Rob Diamond Member

That's fine and I can level with that. They should be out of Law period.

However, what people really want is for you to "show them God", or show them some sort of obvious sign. Sorry, I can't do that. Who am I to produce God at my whim? Who am I to do that? Nobody....

Isn't there a more unreasonable request to make... for someone to call down God?

There is archeological evidence affirming events talked about in the Bible. If people want to make silly false equivalencies (flying unicorns, FSM) find me someone that can cooberate that. There are historians both past and present that do with the Bible, even some of history's most respected minds (Issac Newton, but I am waiting for people to discredit that by saying he didn't have the internet to "check facts"), however, historians actually visited those places mentioned in the Bible and saw the evidence first-hand, untampered with, not scewed by internet "facts". People will ignore that, largely because they don't want to consider things that will humble their pride.

In short, if people want to be "shown God", hitch a ride on the next rocket into space and go up until you can't go anymore, then tell us whether you saw God or not. I sure can't show him to you.

2. soulcougher73

The absense of a God is the proof one doesnt exist. That is why everyone, but you apparently, knows the burden of proof lies on the believer of imaginary things, not the person who doesnt believe in your imaginary things.

You guys started it with this God crap, so put up or shut up.

3. soulcougher73

To you.

4. soulcougher73

So people who commit suicide dont go to hell? In your belief.

5. soulcougher73

But dont you know. The burden of proof lies on you, the non-believer of this so called "athiest group" that he made up.

LOL @ OverVolt

6. soulcougher73

You are so out of date. We are up to the "Super New Ultra Improved Testament" now. You are like 4 revisions ago.

Get with the times man.

7. soulcougher73

Ok so now prove all the stuff in the bible that isnt equated to God unleashing his wrath, err i mean "natural disasters" onto earth? You know, "the magic stuff" that really makes the book look foolish.

8. qliveur

qliveur Diamond Member

Slaves have a purpose. Religion is just slavery through brainwashing.

What's my purpose? Whatever the * I want it to be. See how liberating that is?
    Such as?

9. sourceninja

sourceninja Diamond Member

You don't live in the same part of town I do...

10. Gibsons

Gibsons Lifer

I don't know about their numbers but they sure do like getting on school boards and trying to influence curriculum.

11. sourceninja

sourceninja Diamond Member

I am an atheist, I don't believe science can save us from ourselves. I look at trends and come to the conclusion that we are doomed to extinction. Hopefully not within my lifetime.

12. Lonbjerg

Lonbjerg Diamond Member

All religious fucktards know you have to infect children at an early age...before the brain is fully developed...and logic and reason kick fully in....otherwise they might reject the mumbo-jumbo as...mumbo-jumbo ;)

13. Gibsons

Gibsons Lifer

Interesting point. Where could we find an example of baseless, foolish pride?

Ah! Here we are:
    Atheists hold no such illusions. Who's the prideful one again?

14. ShadowOfMyself

ShadowOfMyself Diamond Member

Didnt read the 3 pages so this was probably said before but honestly, I pity you for having that line of thinking

I live because I enjoy life... Do I need any other reason?

Also this:

You will never know what it is to be free until you get rid of that crutch called god

15. Paul98

Paul98 Diamond Member

So OverVolt, what made you go from believing in god to not, then back to believing again?

16. Jeff7

Jeff7 Lifer

I should have elaborated on the murder/accident thing:

- Some people have the little "God is my co-pilot" stickers in there.
    - Some people say that your time of death is decided by God.

So those ideas present some problems:
    - If God is your co-pilot, or is otherwise watching over you, you are theoretically immune to harm while driving - unless God wants you to get injured, or wants you to injure someone else. Then you've got issues with free will: If God has plans for you, then your decisions have already been predetermined.
    If none of that is the case, then God isn't your co-pilot, and he's indifferent about what you do.

- Along those lines, if your time of death is decided by God, then God is deciding who's going to murder who, or who's going to get killed by someone else in an accident. (And really, it isn't really even possible for an accident to happen with a deity that knows everything.)

Either way, given the idea that God determines when it's "your time," then no one's death can be accidental - meaning that car accidents, murders, cancer deaths, fatal heart attacks, or fatal illnesses are all God's doing.
    That, or else those people are just wrong that God determines time of death, or co-piloting of vehicles.

Let's say you're committing suicide because all your loved ones have died in some accident or of illness or some such thing, and that there is no one left who really cares much for you, other than that you're a moving body at an assembly line? If you reach that point, is it ok then?

And I'd call Invisible Magic Sky Man and his not-quite-dead-self-son to be off the deep end.

And for those who reach the capability of critical thinking, but which aren't able to break free of the years-old indoctrination, they try to re-imagine the religion to mold it to fit with the observed world.
    "Well maybe when he said 'day' he didn't mean 'day.'" - a distinction that only came about because of scientific discoveries (observations) which said that the Universe was not made like that, nor over that time frame.

#266 Jeff7, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  17. OverVolt

OverVolt Lifer

Yea they do go to hell :p

18. Theb

Theb Diamond Member

I think gold would be an inferior road surface. It's too soft.

19. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

I will never understand why people argue over belief. You wanna argue facts and their implications, let's go. But belief? Please. Go believe what you want, but for gosh sakes, keep it to yourself. These morons who just have to proclaim their every philosophy and belief on their car bumpers must be the most insecure creatures on the planet.

20. JM Aggie08

JM Aggie08 Diamond Member

Your avatar gives me a craving for plums.

21. dighn

dighn Lifer

your stance is a fallacy :colbert: we must argue over our beliefs.

22. soulcougher73

So then they did go and plug the loophole of suicide not going to heaven then. That is why religious people dont kill themselves because without the penalty of hell you guys would be offing yourselves left and right.

Damn them for plugging the loophole. :p

23. Tweak155

Tweak155 Lifer

Selectively responding - but if I showed you a plastic shovel with no markings, you wouldn't argue me someone made it (unless you're dilusional) even if I couldn't prove to you who did.

So while I agree the burden of proof is on the claimer, you're being somewhat narrow minded. You can try and minimalize his belief by claiming it is imaginary, but where's your proof that it is, in fact, imaginary?

Just to be clear I'm not taking any sides, but your response is very ironic.

24. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

I remember hearing something a while ago about how in medieval times, people who wanted to commit suicide but avoid the suicide-gets-you-sent-to-hell thing, would instead kill a child and turn themselves in. They'd be put to death but not before asking forgiveness. Which, theoretically, was their ticket into heaven.

Personally I think the whole "reward in the next life" thing actually takes something away from life. I feel like you can't spend too much time looking forward to something that may or may not happen after you die. You have to enjoy life while you're living it. But then again, I don't believe in God. For someone who does believe, maybe it helps them.

25. alzan

alzan Diamond Member

Evidence points to a historical Jesus this is true. But was he G-d made man? Highly debatable. Scholars have debated for years and will continue to do so on on both the range of different histories in the Bible, most of them not archaeological.

But none of this evidence points to a G-d; it simply points to peoples interpretations of second, third or fourth-hand stories as concerns the New Testament. Scholars date the books, writings and letters that comprise the NT as being anywhere from 2 to 8 decades after the life of Jesus.

Also, believers as well as non-believers will shut out facts and not consider things that will humble their pride.

As was stated by other poster(s); it is the believers that first foisted this idea of G-d onto the rest of the world, it really is up to them to "put up or shut up". Accept the fact that when the only way you can assert something is by faith, you're admitting that it can't stand on it's own merit.