Tire Pressured

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
I've always wondered, considering we have computers controlling alot of things in our cars, why don't we have computers that can check the tire pressure and regulate the pressure by itself? It could store a database of tires, and be calibrated when tires are replaced. Sounds cheap and easy to do.

Because getting an air hose into a tire is not easy. The air has to go through the axle somehow. I'm not even sure how Hummers do it, but it's not cheap. Pressure monitoring is easy though.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
And if Obama and the left think tire pressure should be a center piece of energy policy by our govt. Then it explains why they continue to look so damned clueless on this issue in the eyes of the American people.

Right here is where the disconnect is and why the GOP/right/conservatives come off looking like idiots on this so-called "issue." Tire pressure has NEVER been the centerpiece of Obama's energy policy, EVER. He was asked what the average person could do to help conserve gas, and what do you know, Obama offered up a tip that happens to save 3-4%.

Christ, it's like the GOP campaign is run by a bunch of 5th-graders and it's fucking hilarious how many like-minded voters eat this crap up.

Well that response wasnt well written. I wasnt implying it was a centerpiece. It was meant more as a question, not as a statement.

We do appreciate your humility. But where does that leave us?

If the strategy of inflated tires and tuneups is NOT a centerpiece [one word, not two] of Obama's energy policy, then are you saying that Obama does NOT "look so damned clueless" on energy (and are you now a likely Obama supporter)?

Or are you saying that he DOES still look so damned clueless, but that you yourself are damned clueless as to why that is? Again, sounds like you and Obama have a lot in common - welcome!

:roll:

Please tell me you didnt spend more than 30 seconds coming up with this troll?
It took me a lifetime, and then a few moments caressing the keyboard.

Look, YOU made the conditional statement, "if tire pressure = centerpiece . . . then it explains . . . ." And then YOU told us you never intended your statement to imply that tire pressure was a BHO centerpiece. That is, you're telling us the premise of your conditional is false.

So I have several choices: I can assume you've realized BHO is clueful (how do you like my new word?) on energy OR I can assume you're clueless yourself OR I can assume your earlier post was a nullity - a post filled with sound and fury, signifying nothing.

But of course, I'm actually a troll. So you can run away and hide and disavow any responsibility for your previous statement.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
Topic Title: Tire Pressured

Topic Summary: repubs and logic = fail

I am the only one with a real energy policy.

The Republicans have been clearly shown to be in bed with our enemies.

The Democrats have clearly been shown to be in bed with our enemies.

Dems would be lesser of the two evils but they are both still evil.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Corbett
trying to spin a small comment obama made in a town hall meeting into reflecting and being a focal point of his energy plan.

It wasnt a "small comment". Obama has repeated it plenty of times and defended it.

Why would he not defend it? It's a good idea?

I would expect him to defend it, that wasnt the point. The point was idotekniQues suggested that it was something he only said once, which is nowhere near being true.

As far as it being a good idea, I agree. I generally dont like to drive around with flat tires, but it doesn't bring down gas prices.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
ok he said it more than once. regardless, the context was always the same, one of the small things we can do individually, not as a centerpiece of his energy plan like the repubs tried to paint it.

secondly, all significant reduction of demand will assist in bringing down prices, amongst other things.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
trying to spin a small comment obama made in a town hall meeting into reflecting and being a focal point of his energy plan.

It wasnt a "small comment". Obama has repeated it plenty of times and defended it.

I would expect him to defend it, that wasnt the point. The point was idotekniQues suggested that it was something he only said once, which is nowhere near being true.

As far as it being a good idea, I agree. I generally dont like to drive around with flat tires, but it doesn't bring down gas prices.

It sure as hell would if more people did it.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

I checked the air preasure in my tires and it's fin but I like to let my car run for 15 minutes with the AC on so it's nice and cool before I start driving, I wonder what Obama would say about that?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Budmantom

I checked the air preasure in my tires and it's fin but I like to let my car run for 15 minutes with the AC on so it's nice and cool before I start driving, I wonder what Obama would say about that?

You do realize that the entire point of his tire pressure comment was to show how trivial the whole drilling thing was, right? We could do just as much if not more by filling our tires better then with the whole huge drilling deal.

So, I guess he wouldn't say anything about it because you idling your car like an idiot doesn't really apply to the point he was trying to make.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

People should just stop driving all together. That would be great for saving gas!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

People should just stop driving all together. That would be great for saving gas!

That was an amazingly stupid comment. Considering how bad your posts normally are, that's saying a lot. Obama telling people that properly maintaining their cars will save them money on gas is a smart, reasonable, and (for once in politics) totally true statement. It had nothing to do with cutting back on driving or anything like that.

The fact that people are trying to attack him for saying something they themselves know to be true is really pathetic.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

That was an amazingly stupid comment. Considering how bad your posts normally are, that's saying a lot. Obama telling people that properly maintaining their cars will save them money on gas is a smart, reasonable, and (for once in politics) totally true statement. It had nothing to do with cutting back on driving or anything like that.

The fact that people are trying to attack him for saying something they themselves know to be true is really pathetic.

Dumbasses like you really eat that up....
What's next don't speed?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What's next don't speed?

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

What's next don't speed?
I think he was just trying to out-dumb, or at least out-partisan, Corbett. We should let them share the prize and move on.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Do you think that a "find more to use" policy is better than a "use less of what we have and save the rest" policy?

That is what is appears to be coming down to. Many people want to drill more so that it will be cheaper and we can go on about our blissful, ignorant ways instead of realizing that this is a finite resource and the less we drill and the less that we use today....the longer it will last us into the future.
The drop in demand from the United States and other developed countries will not make up for the continual increase in demand from India, China, and other developing countries.

High fuel prices are killing the economy right now and future demand will keep it high. Securing more supply of not only oil but natural gas as well (that's being blocked by the OCS ban as well) will help secure reasonable prices that won't drag the economy down until we reach a point to where our dependence on oil is negligible.

There are other things we should be doing as well such as :
- getting rid of the ethanol mandate which increases price and reduces fuel efficiency while increasing the price of food
- come up with one, maybe two or three, gas blends for the entire nation instead of the hodge podge of a couple of dozen of blends that artificially restricts supply regionally and increases price.
The immediate problem with expanded drilling is it does essentially nothing to relieve high prices today. It will be several years at a minimum before the new oil supplies reach the market.

The mid-term problem with expanded drilling is it will be a drop in the bucket. The amount of additional oil it will eventually add to our oil supply would help, but only to about the same extent as simple conservation measures like properly-inflated tires and well-tuned engines. That was Obama's point. Moreover, conservation measures can begin helping immediately, unlike expanded drilling.

The long-term problem with expanding drilling is it encourages our addiction to oil. That is a dead-end. Oil is a finite resource. Oil prices will continue their painful rise as demand increases and supplies inevitably start decreasing. The only long-term solution is for the United States to move away from oil as aggressively as it can. Expanded drilling is a feel-good gimmick that serves only to distract Americans from committing to actions that really matter, expensive measures like a major investment in alternative energy, hard measures like changing our wasteful lifestyles ... and simple conservation measures like tire pressure and tune-ups.

Our need for oil is never going to go away. There are too many non-energy needs that will be far tougher to replace. As oil supplies dwindle over the next century, those other uses for oil will become far more pressing than gasoline. When that day comes and oil is $10K a barrel, wouldn't it be nice to have untapped stockpiles right off of our coast? Let's not squander them today just so people can get two or three more years out of their SUVs.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

What's next don't speed?

That he is a moron??

I don't know which part makes me feel more worried about he future of the US; the one where people can't locate Iraq on a map or the morons who think the speed at which they drive doesn't affect the mpg of their vehicle?

On my drive home from work, I sometimes tune Hannity in and it makes my blood pressure rise more than the slow traffic. Obama suggested that people be a little more conservative on the thermostat settings for their homes and be a little more diligent about car maintenance and Hannity laughs at that. The thing that makes me the maddest are the millions of sheepole that refuse to conserve energy because Hannity tells them that drilling more oil is the way and not conservation.

I'm sorry America, but it's time to start "tightening the belt" on this energy issue. It sucks but it's going to be pay now or pay later. I wish I could eat taco bell at 2am all the time, but as I've gotten older my body tends to retain that extra few tacos around the waist line. My days of eating everything I wanted and not getting fat are long gone and so is America's days of using all the oil we wanted and not running out.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

What's next don't speed?
I think he was just trying to out-dumb, or at least out-partisan, Corbett. We should let them share the prize and move on.

Yeah out-dumb or out-partisan because I'm not mesmerized by a presidential contender preaching common sense, sorry unlike you sheep I'm looking for a little bit more out of a president.

Now get off the computer you using up valuable energy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What's next don't speed?

Yeah out-dumb or out-partisan because I'm not mesmerized by a presidential contender preaching common sense, sorry unlike you sheep I'm looking for a little bit more out of a president.

I'd love for you to explain what you meant, and why what you said wasn't stupid. Good luck!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

What's next don't speed?

No one is mesmerized by a candidate preaching common sense, but we DO recognize common sense when we see it, which Republicans apparently don't. Starting more drilling now is counterproductive and will be a placebo for a decade, not a solution. The reason we have big reserves is so we have them when oil is worth its weight in gold, not so we can use them up so people can spend 5% less on gas and be fooled into buying more Chevy Suburbans

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I'm not mesmerized by it either, but I understand the point he was making, as well as the way it is being dishonestly twisted by McCain. The real problem is sheep like you who are mesmerized by such vacuous slime and by gimmicks like expanded drilling instead of seeking serious, realistic solutions to the challenges in front of us.

Likewise, get off of the planet you [sic] using up valuable oxygen.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Remarkable how the rightwing slips into raving denial when their underlying assumptions are questioned, not to mention the belief that derision and insults somehow trump actual reason...

Part of what's happening is due to the very success of the global economy so touted by american business and their dogmatic free market admirers, part of it is due to our abuse of our position as the world's reserve currency, and part of it is due to old-fashioned greed and stubborness... Having 25% of world consumption and 3% of reserves isn't sustainable unless we're exporting huge quantities of something the rest of the world wants...

This whole notion that we can achieve that magical short term touchstone of the Right, "Energy Independence", is extremely foolish, even if we slash consumption tremendously. Well, unless we end up with fuel prices so high that people still making whopper payments on that giant turbo diesel 4X4 truck won't be able to afford moving it out of the driveway...

An up and coming family in India, for example, doesn't drive the car everywhere, every day, every chance they get- they have a 100mpg scooter for that, they get tremendously more utility from a gallon of fuel than we do, so they'll pay a high price, willingly. Even if they get 1/5 the wages, they get 10X the usefulness from their purchase, so they'll pay. Their population is also enormous. All this is the same for China and other emerging countries.

And they'll pay with balance of payment deficit dollars, too- imagine that.

They'll get even more of our jobs as time goes on, as american business rushes to cash in on cheap foreign labor. What we've been exporting to get those goods has been liquidity, dollars, and, uhh, in case nobody noticed, international demand for them has been flagging, held up in no small way by the availability of conveniently provided US govt securities...

Our own policy of greed is really setting us up for a fall... If we keep going the way we are, our currency will become worthless, and if we quit providing investment avenues for the glut of dollars already out there, our currency will become worthless, too... A perfect storm of sorts. Which won't matter to our financial elite, since their wealth is spread worldwide... hell, having the dollar go south is just another opportunity... lose a few hundred million over here, make even more over there... watching as their ardent admirers take the bait and the bone once again has to be the icing on the cake...

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Its amazingly stupid to point out how amazingly stupid Obama's ideas are for solving the energy crisis. Everyone already knows that properly maintaining their cars help save on fuel economy. However, most of us ALREADY DO THAT, thus its not really a solution to the current situation! Try to keep up.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

What's next don't speed?

No one is mesmerized by a candidate preaching common sense, but we DO recognize common sense when we see it, which Republicans apparently don't. Starting more drilling now is counterproductive and will be a placebo for a decade, not a solution. The reason we have big reserves is so we have them when oil is worth its weight in gold, not so we can use them up so people can spend 5% less on gas and be fooled into buying more Chevy Suburbans

Then why does Obama want to release oil from our strategic oil reserve?

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
I'm not mesmerized by it either, but I understand the point he was making, as well as the way it is being dishonestly twisted by McCain. The real problem is sheep like you who are mesmerized by such vacuous slime and by gimmicks like expanded drilling instead of seeking serious, realistic solutions to the challenges in front of us.

What solutions?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Its amazingly stupid to point out how amazingly stupid Obama's ideas are for solving the energy crisis. Everyone already knows that properly maintaining their cars help save on fuel economy. However, most of us ALREADY DO THAT, thus its not really a solution to the current situation! Try to keep up.

Except that most of us DON'T already do that, hence the issue. Try to keep up.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

What solutions?

Inflating your tires and releasing oil from the strategic oil reserve, duh!!