Question Time to ditch the Steam logo for this subforum?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Time to change the subforum logo?

• Yes

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • I like clicking on polls

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I think something from the original Doom would be good since it was the game that kicked off everything in the 90's gaming wise of note and that most everyone recognizes.

I'd prefer something from a Sierra or Lucasarts adventure game, personally! Or maybe Civ, or Simcity. There's a long heritage of PC gaming outside shooters ;)

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I think something from the original Doom would be good since it was the game that kicked off everything in the 90's gaming wise of note and that most everyone recognizes.
I never played the original Doom, so I wouldn't know any of those icons just by looking at them. But I'm not entirely sure I understand your logic anyways. Replace a very well-known icon that easily represents PC gaming with an icon from the early 90s that a lot of people might recognize - it doesn't make much sense.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015

Even though Steam logo looks cool I totally agree with that. Can use the word Doom itself, looks and sounds good...

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Yeah I forget there are a lot of kids on this forum who couldn't relate, never mind then.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i honestly have no idea why the icon is steam.
I am guessing since this forum and section predates origin, and other download providers, steam was the most common denominator that Anand himself decided upon along with the team of admins at that time.

I honestly dont see why it would bother you, if you honestly feel a NEED for it to change, you can always make a post in moderator discussion, and ask the guys who are several paygrade higher then me to chime in.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Yeah I forget there are a lot of kids on this forum who couldn't relate, never mind then.
I'm 31 and grew up poor so I didn't get a PC until 1999 and it could barely run Diablo 2. There's a lot of people my age who never played the original Doom. Being condescending is about the worst way to get people to listen to you.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

nono! It should be Roger Wilco or the Hero's Quest dude! ...or maybe Leisure Suit Larry, which would be fair to this community.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

lulz. I was more into PC games before Doom. Doom is why I stopped playing PC games for a spell, because I just don't like shooters for the most part.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Forum update removed all icons and replaced them with a quote bubble. Guess that saves us from offending the various groups of nerds... erm I mean "Master Race" gamers by picking any one gaming icon.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Forum update removed all icons and replaced them with a quote bubble. Guess that saves us from offending the various groups of nerds... erm I mean "Master Race" gamers by picking any one gaming icon.
Uhh... what? The icons are still there.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I voted no. I did know this logo was being used and it always made sense to me. I see a steam logo I immediately think PC games.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
There is no one single image that can exemplify PC gaming in its entirety. I say stop worrying about it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
View attachment 10671

Yeah I know what you like to play.....lolz..

are you daft, not-as-old-as-you-think-you-are man? There are great shooters out there these days, but the original Wolfenstein/Doom were just nonsense claptrap barely worth remembering.

seriously.

OMG! it looked great for the time and did things! no it didn't. That crap was just repetitive garbage after about 15 minutes and literally nothing to the gameplay.

I'd rather go play Tank! on Atari than Doom nonsense.

lol, Doom. set back PC gaming fun for about 10 years.

Feb 4, 2009
This would be glorious but I’m not confident it would transfer to simple art without losing its mojo

Xsun2cR.jpg

This is nearly as good and I’m sure would transfer to a simple icon well

QLppfbo.jpg

@shortylickens beat me

Can anyone make a sample logo as above? I would prefer that to the steam logo. Be fun having the PC Master Gaming Race dude sitting on the left tool bar staring at the dirty console peasants

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
are you daft, not-as-old-as-you-think-you-are man? There are great shooters out there these days, but the original Wolfenstein/Doom were just nonsense claptrap barely worth remembering.

seriously.

OMG! it looked great for the time and did things! no it didn't. That crap was just repetitive garbage after about 15 minutes and literally nothing to the gameplay.

It really did look great for the time. You sure are salty about it though.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

seriously.

Weren't all games back then "just repetitive garbage after about 15 minutes"? I honestly can't remember one that wasn't. Could be wrong though.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Weren't all games back then "just repetitive garbage after about 15 minutes"? I honestly can't remember one that wasn't. Could be wrong though.

Sure, some were, but there were also a lot of interesting games around. Plenty of sim type games, adventure games like Secret of Monkey Island and King's Quest series, rpg games like the Ultima series.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Sure, some were, but there were also a lot of interesting games around. Plenty of sim type games, adventure games like Secret of Monkey Island and King's Quest series, rpg games like the Ultima series.

I don't disagree on them being good.. I just think that the game play is pretty much the same throughout all those. It was a limitation of the time, you really had a game play and you tried to do the most with it. I think garbage might have been the wrong wording for quality of story and what not, but gameplay it's all pretty much the same.