Three-star general who mocked Jill Biden is suspended

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Ooops! 92.00 an hour down the drain!

1657427609148.png
The U.S. Army has suspended retired Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky, its former head of communications, from his mentorship role and placed him under investigation after he posted a tweet that appeared to mock first lady Jill Biden’s tweet about the Supreme Court’s recent decision on abortion.

The tweet was in response to Biden’s June 24 tweet about the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, in which the first lady lamented the decision’s impact on women.
“Glad to see you finally know what a woman is,” Volesky responded in a tweet that has since been deleted, according to USA Today, which reported the news earlier Saturday.

Army spokesperson Cynthia Smith told The Washington Post in a statement that Lt. Gen. Theodore Martin, commanding general of the Combined Arms Center, suspended Volesky from his contract as a senior mentor “pending the outcome of the commander’s inquiry.” In the role, Volesky was among the retired military officials or senior retired civilian officials who offer mentorship and training to Army officers, staffers and students.

Volesky did not immediately respond to a request for comment Saturday afternoon. The White House declined to comment.

Volesky, 60, is a decorated officer with a long military career. Before he retired from the Army and was hired as a mentor, Volesky commanded I Corps, a major military formation, and led Joint Base Lewis-McChord from 2017 to 2020. From 2014 to 2017, he commanded the 101st Airborne Division, renowned for its role on D-Day during World War II. From 2012 to 2014, he was the chief of the Army’s public affairs division.

Volesky served in the Gulf War, the Iraq War, and the War in Afghanistan. He was awarded a Silver Star, the third-highest military combat honor, for his involvement in military efforts in northeastern Baghdad. He is an advisory board member for Unified Business Technologies, an information technology company headquartered in Michigan.

Volesky’s reply to Biden’s tweet bears echoes of an interaction between Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) and Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson during Jackson’s Supreme Court confirmation hearings this year. Blackburn, who has criticized a bill to strengthen LGBTQ protections, pressed Jackson to define the word “woman” in reference to transgender rights.

Transgender issues have come into a new focus in the aftermath of the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision, particularly around the use of the word “women” to describe people affected by abortion restrictions. Critics of transgender women — sometimes called trans-exclusionary radical feminists (TERFs) — have decried what they say is the inability to call themselves “women” as gender-inclusive language becomes more commonly used. On Monday, entertainers Bette Midler and Macy Gray were criticized for their recent comments about transgender issues.

Volesky has posted other political tweets, including a July 2021 reply to a tweet from Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) in which she announced that she would serve on the select committee to investigate the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of then-President Donald Trump. She wrote, “Our oath to the Constitution must be above partisan politics.”

Volesky tweeted in response: “This is all about partisan politics.”

Political messages from retired military members are not new.

In 2016, retired Marine Gen. John Allen endorsed Hillary Clinton for president, while retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn called for Clinton to be locked up, and he later served as Trump’s national security adviser before he was fired for lying to federal investigators. In 2019, retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal called Trump “immoral” and said he did not believe that the then-president was truthful. Retired Navy Adm. William McRaven wrote a Washington Post opinion article in 2020 criticizing Trump for undermining “every major U.S. institution.”

Reactions: Muse

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So I guess we all now know what political camp Volesky comes from. He has nothing much to lose by making that snide remark anyway. He's well covered and he knew it when he made that statement. You'll not get a contrite backstroke from him like any weaselly Repub politician would, he's too well established within his fiefdom for anything like that.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
So I guess we all now know what political camp Volesky comes from. He has nothing much to lose by making that snide remark anyway. He's well covered and he knew it when he made that statement. You'll not get a contrite backstroke from him like any weaselly Repub politician would, he's too well established within his fiefdom for anything like that.

We need generals with balls to eliminate the trumpanzee problems!

Reactions: Muse

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
He said “Glad to see you finally know what a woman is,” and that's it?

I see nothing offensive or terrible in that statement. Certainly nothing to lose your job over.

It seems the Combined Arms Center and students come out as the loser and will miss learning from his extensive knowledge and experience.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

I see nothing offensive or terrible in that statement. Certainly nothing to lose your job over.

It seems the Combined Arms Center and students come out as the loser and will miss learning from his extensive knowledge and experience.
Guess they'll have to figure out how to tweet out stupid shit on their own.

A true loss for America.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Oh c'mon, you were in the military. You know you cannot expect to talk shit about the CIC without punishment, and you know that a General sets examples. They're held to a higher standard.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Oh c'mon, you were in the military. You know you cannot expect to talk shit about the CIC without punishment, and you know that a General sets examples. They're held to a higher standard.

Uh, Jill Biden is not the CIC and He is retired... He is entitled to his opinion just as you are.

From the article:

" The U.S. Army has suspended retired Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky, its former head of communications, from his mentorship role and placed him under investigation after he posted a tweet that appeared to mock first lady Jill Biden’s tweet about the Supreme Court’s recent decision on abortion. "

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010

Don't worry, I'm sure Trump or DeSantis will probably wholesale fire a bunch of command over woke policies or whatever they will call it in 2025.

As far as the article goes, if he's retired is he not a private citizen, first amendment applies? Sorry, I am not clear what sort of oversight retired military personnel are subject to.

Not sure why Dems don't see this sort of stuff as terrible optics, regardless of how minor of an issue you may or may not think it is.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

He had $92.00 AN HOUR to lose.

That's not a paycheck, that's a lifestyle.

Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Uh, Jill Biden is not the CIC and He is retired... He is entitled to his opinion just as you are.

From the article:

" The U.S. Army has suspended retired Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky, its former head of communications, from his mentorship role and placed him under investigation after he posted a tweet that appeared to mock first lady Jill Biden’s tweet about the Supreme Court’s recent decision on abortion. "
Still being paid by the govt, still holds tank of General, still subject to CIC. He did this to himself, he wasn't put upon by anyone.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

From the article:

You cool with me slamming your wife?

She's the bedmate of the CIC. Insult a woman, you insult the man she's with.

As an aside. RETIRED Flag Officers, (Generals and Admirals) are NEVER done with the military. They can be recalled to active duty at any time. So can Staff NCOs (E-7 and above) They are still subject to the UCMJ, and eligible for court martial if so ordered. (Something I sincerely wish they would do with Mike Flynn.) Until you get your "discharge" you belong to Uncle Sugar.

It's rare, but it has happened in the past.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
This degenerate piece of shit never had anything of value to teach anyone. A failure to his country, his oath, and the values he swore to uphold.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Still being paid by the govt, still holds tank of General, still subject to CIC. He did this to himself, he wasn't put upon by anyone.

I didn't say he was "put Upon by anyone". He still has his first amendment rights. I was just clearing up that point.

Of course his government employer can do what they want fire him or suspend him. I don't think what he said rates being fired for it. Not my call or yours. I'm sure he will be fine with his Lt. Generals retirement check every month.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You cool with me slamming your wife?

She's the bedmate of the CIC. Insult a woman, you insult the man she's with.

As an aside. RETIRED Flag Officers, (Generals and Admirals) are NEVER done with the military. They can be recalled to active duty at any time. So can Staff NCOs (E-7 and above) They are still subject to the UCMJ, and eligible for court martial if so ordered. (Something I sincerely wish they would do with Mike Flynn.) Until you get your "discharge" you belong to Uncle Sugar.

It's rare, but it has happened in the past.

Not for expressing his first amendment rights.

I'm sure they are not going to attempt to recall him to active duty and beat him with the UCMJ or a Courts Martial for tweeting: “Glad to see you finally know what a woman is,”. To think so is preposterous and silly. They could fire / suspend him from his Government Job, but that is about the extent of it.

Not as cut and dried as you want to make it out to be. Retired on a retainer, Fully retired after 30 years, Separated before 20 years, Active Reserves, Inactive Reserves all have different rules. Many cases are still up in the air.

Article 88 of the UCMJ criminalizes “contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or the Governor or legislature of any State ...” The Manual for Courts-Martial, pt. IV, ¶ 12(c), however, narrows the scope of the offense: “If not personally contemptuous, adverse criticism of one of the officials or legislatures named in the article ... even though emphatically expressed, may not be charged as a violation ...” Further, “[t]he official or legislature against whom the words are used must be occupying one of the offices or be one of the legislatures named in Article 88 at the time of the offense.”

I don't see where Jill Biden is named as one of the persons or positions.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
This degenerate piece of shit never had anything of value to teach anyone. A failure to his country, his oath, and the values he swore to uphold.

How so? Care to explain a bit with maybe some facts.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
man, i remember some conservatives saying that officials in the executive branch serve at the pleasure of the president, and the president can demand their firing/resignation for any reason at all....

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
man, i remember some conservatives saying that officials in the executive branch serve at the pleasure of the president, and the president can demand their firing/resignation for any reason at all....

That is true.

He however was not an Official in the Executive Branch serving at the pleasure of the President. He is a contracted employee as per the article.

Contractors do not lose their first amendment rights.

Lt. Gen. Theodore Martin, commanding general of the Combined Arms Center, suspended Volesky from his contract as a senior mentor “pending the outcome of the commander’s inquiry.” In the role, Volesky was among the retired military officials or senior retired civilian officials who offer mentorship and training to Army officers, staffers and students.[/unquote]