Three-star general who mocked Jill Biden is suspended

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

This is true and no one restricted his ability to say any damned thing he chose.

But you seem upset that his exercising his free speech rights, which he did, actually had consequences attached…as it should. Why?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Anyone shedding tears over this general? This woman got fired from her job and she is a civilian.
twitter-juli-biskmanjpg-68ce677e0dff0986.jpg

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
This is true and no one restricted his ability to say any damned thing he chose.

But you seem upset that his exercising his free speech rights, which he did, actually had consequences attached…as it should. Why?
The party of personal responsibility absolutely fucking hates actually being responsible. That's only for the POC and poors.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don’t think he was saying anything at Jill Biden’s expense. I think he was lamenting Biden’s stance on LGBTQ+ rights in the military.
Well, he picked the wrong way to do that, bad mistake and IMO unforgivable.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Anyone shedding tears over this general? This woman got fired from her job and she is a civilian.
twitter-juli-biskmanjpg-68ce677e0dff0986.jpg
I've been fired (let go) from lots of jobs, no evident reason, good or otherwise. No tears for the general here.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The funniest thing about these people is how hard they project their insecurities. He's totally "not a pussy" but gets his feelings hurt over that video and being asked to use someone's proper pronouns.

Proper Pronouns. LOL

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I'm still confused about how learning how to be respectful is a bad thing. @pcgeek11 can you explain to us how treating your fellow humans with respect is bad?

I think this overwhelming need to discuss your "proper pronouns" is silly. It has nothing to do with respect.

What is the percentage of the US Population that is trans-something... 1% or probably less.

Meh.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I think this overwhelming need to discuss your "proper pronouns" is silly. It has nothing to do with respect.

What is the percentage of the US Population that is trans-something... 1% or probably less.

Meh.
it has everything to do with respect. like i said, someone calling you the wrong name - and purposefully so - would eventually wear on you. or let's say someone called you a woman instead of a man. and referred to you as "she" instead of "he". maybe the 1st time you'd brush it off, but by the 100th you'd be pretty fucking tired of it.

so what if the trans population is <1%? does that somehow mean they aren't deserving of the same respect we afford other people - to call them by their preferred names and address them based on how they identify? this is such a low bar, why do you have so much issue clearing it?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Meh.

It's being disrespectful to that 1% (if that's an accurate number) so yes it has everything to do with respect. Your basic problem is that 1% is tired of not being treated respectfully and finally was able to make their voices heard.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I guess they need to walk around with a large tag that says I am a Male or I am a Female.

I'm over it. Nothing Burger.
:rolleyes:

• Haha

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
it has everything to do with respect. like i said, someone calling you the wrong name - and purposefully so - would eventually wear on you. or let's say someone called you a woman instead of a man. and referred to you as "she" instead of "he". maybe the 1st time you'd brush it off, but by the 100th you'd be pretty fucking tired of it.

so what if the trans population is <1%? does that somehow mean they aren't deserving of the same respect we afford other people - to call them by their preferred names and address them based on how they identify? this is such a low bar, why do you have so much issue clearing it?
These idiots refuse to give up their guns to even save a single child. So why is this a surprise they won’t respect pronoun usage.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
It's being disrespectful to that 1% (if that's an accurate number) so yes it has everything to do with respect. Your basic problem is that 1% is tired of not being treated respectfully and finally was able to make their voices heard.
If a subset of the population shouldn't be respected as people because they're just "1% or probably less", then they won't be respected. In fact, they will be demonized.

Fascists will scream about them being an evil group committing unseen crimes that are hurting other people, until finally they greenlight their murder, as an act of self-defense.

And this is obvious because we're ALREADY in the stage where they claim that trans people are an evil group committing crimes and hurting other people. It's why they use language like groomer and pedophile. Most right-wing authoritarians are just waiting for the greenlight. Others are already showing up armed and aren't waiting, because they're terrorists.

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
What is your honest opinion of that video w/r to our armed services?
Well, I'm an old crusty dude that has opinions that are not politically correct today. I saw the same in regards to civil rights from my parents. My grandmother that I loved dearly used to call blacks nigra's. Something I found horrifying back in the day.
Times change and usually for the better. These days are for the young to decide what is right, not us old crusty guys.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You have a problem with service members being respectful to their fellow service members? That's all the conversation around pronouns is.

That it seems to trigger you in some way only speaks to your own personal character.

Or lack of character.

It’s weird that in a democracy such as ours that we have the lowest standards for those who serve who we expect to protect our democracy.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
So-called "small govt conservatives" believe that your body belongs to the state. Or, more appropriately from their childish self-centered point-of-view, that your body belongs to them, with the state as their enforcing agent.
Meanwhile, they're defending a corrupt general who helped fleece the taxpayers over $14 trillion dollars for a war for nothing. Because.. yaknow... small govt and all that.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well, I'm an old crusty dude that has opinions that are not politically correct today. I saw the same in regards to civil rights from my parents. My grandmother that I loved dearly used to call blacks nigra's. Something I found horrifying back in the day.
Times change and usually for the better. These days are for the young to decide what is right, not us old crusty guys.
Yep, my maternal grandmother from South Boston, VA, used that word she thought as a respectful term.

Reactions: Drach

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Meh.

The only reason we need to discuss it is because of assholes like you that obsess over other peoples genitalia. If you just call people what they want to be called then there's no discussion. You presumably have no problem doing that when you first meet someone and they tell you their name, but for some reason using "she" instead of "he" is a problem for you if you think they might have a penis.

Imagine how much of an asshole you'd look like if someone introduced themself as Frank and you said "Sorry I'm gonna call you Steve, you look like a Steve to me".

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The only reason we need to discuss it is because of assholes like you that obsess over other peoples genitalia. If you just call people what they want to be called then there's no discussion. You presumably have no problem doing that when you first meet someone and they tell you their name, but for some reason using "she" instead of "he" is a problem for you if you think they might have a penis.

Imagine how much of an asshole you'd look like if someone introduced themself as Frank and you said "Sorry I'm gonna call you Steve, you look like a Steve to me".

I think we've established across a couple of hundred threads now that pcgeek11 doesn't care about being an asshole.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I think we've established across a couple of hundred threads now that pcgeek11 doesn't care about being an asshole.

And you would be 100% correct that I couldn't care less about what some random person / people on the internet calls me. Why should I? You don't know me, you only want to score some perceived internet points on a public liberal forum. You just don't like that I refuse to play in your echo chamber.

• Haha

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
And you would be 100% correct that I couldn't care less about what some random person / people on the internet calls me. Why should I? You don't know me, you only want to score some perceived internet points on a public liberal forum. You just don't like that I refuse to play in your echo chamber.

You really didn't address my post at all. It was about your behavior and attitude. You've freely admitted that you have no problem interacting with people in person the same as you interact on this forum. I really don't get why anyone would be proud to be rude to people as you've indicated you are in this thread and others.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You really didn't address my post at all. It was about your behavior and attitude. You've freely admitted that you have no problem interacting with people in person the same as you interact on this forum. I really don't get why anyone would be proud to be rude to people as you've indicated you are in this thread and others.

But I did address your post. It isn't my fault you can't understand.
If I am an asshole because I don't conform to the liberal ideals on this forum, then so be it. I don't give a single shit. Not even a small one.

I'm not nearly as rude as you and your ilk on this forum. The name calling and bashing of others just because they have a different opinion than the echo chamber is appalling.