Those lazy poor people

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
Most people on welfare are only there temporarily. For them, welfare allows them to rejoin society as a working member. So, for us, most welfare payments are an investment in someone who is on hard times, and it usually pays off. They are for the most part good people, in bad times.

Of course, the pieces of dirt who would murder you are more likely to be on welfare, but that is because they are violent criminals who can't find jobs. They are a small portion of those on welfare, and the only real link between them and the good people on welfare is the lack of a job.

I don't have a negative view of people on welfare, or people who recieve help from any of the many other government aid programs. As far as committing murder, if you look at what I said it boils down to if the rich don't try to kill the poor the poor won't try to kill the rich.

People have to provide food, shelter and clothing for their children and themselves. If you create a situation where people have to fight just to survive than you should expect them to fight. You can't expect the poor to just lay down and die, it doesn't work that way.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Well it would be great if Obama could help the "lazy poor" people unfortunately he had to bail out his friends in the unions, his friends the Wall Street fat cats, his friends in the banks and AIG. Perhaps if these "lazy poor" had some good lobbyists they wouldn't be in this situations.

Myself and my wife have a great life and we don't want for much (if anything) and we got here by working hard and making the right financial decisions, when we go grocery shopping we use coupons and stock up on things that are on sale however more than once the people in front of us were using food-stamps and more often than not these people are eating substantially better than us.

History lesson.

TARP was not under obamas presidency.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
History lesson.

TARP was not under obamas presidency.

Yes and no. As President-elect it was Obama that asked Bush to release the second part of it so it would be in the coffers for Obama to use should he need it.

Obama did have something to do with TARP.

What I hate to hear is all the Bush-lovers claim their two men could do no wrong and that TARP was someone elses fault.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
When I was growing up we lived in two houses heated exclusivly with a wood stove, which is what they were using in the tv program. A wood stove is not the same as a wood fired furnace which will last through the night. The fires in our stoves did not last though the night and it was a pain in the ass to be the first person up the next morning as you would freeze your ass off while waiting for a good fire to get going. We didn't bother getting up at night, though, we just used extra blankets.

I grew up with a wood stove too, not one of those furnaces. We never had a problem with there being enough of a fire in the morning.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Good idea. Maybe those lazy fucks just might get a job. :thumbsup:

I don't think you understand the situation. There are no jobs. Minimum wage walmart jobs have 50+ applicants. The McDonalds my friend manages has lots of resumes from people who have backgrounds in science and engineering, and they actually do take the job when they are called so it's not like it's some kind of insurance scam. The guy working the drive through is a power engineer. I had a nice discussion with him about heat exchangers :D

Possible solution: work for welfare. It should pay slightly below minimum wage just so people have a reason to leave it as soon as possible, but it's there when people really need it.

I love the jealousy of people supposedly without stamps, oh noes!!11!! but class warfare baaad!
The people bitching about others getting food stamps need to shut the fuck up. If food stamps are so awesome, then go get some. That's why that program exists. If you qualify for food stamps, then you should get them. Anyone who qualifies but refuses to use them is just a retard.

Free food money? No thanks; I'm too stupid to use food stamps. I'll just go on the internet and complain about everyone else who gets this benefit.

The campus administration building at the college I went to has a hallway that goes nowhere. I always thought it was odd, there are no doorways, not even an exit. It wasn't until I was talking to one of my history professors that I found out it was just one of several buildings on campus that was built during the Great Depression by the WPA. They ran out of money for that project before they finished and simply put up a wall where the money ran out. It really doesn't matter that they didn't finish, the buildings are still in use and they serve a purpose.
lol. University of Alberta's bio science building is like that. The tiles will be of one pattern for a certain distance then boom it's suddenly a completely different tile pattern, different color, etc. Some floors are not connected to lower floors and the only way to get to them is to go on the roof. There's one class room where the only entrance is through a guy's office. Hallways just abruptly end. There are stairs leading into walls.

edit
I'm curious why these clips of people who are legitimately poor always show them cooking meat. MEAT IS FUCKING EXPENSIVE. WHY ARE YOU BUYING MEAT!?!
They should be giving out rice. Yeah rice sucks and it tastes like shit, but it's god's gift to man kind. It's abundant, it's cheap, and it's about as good as eating potatoes. My local grocery store sells rice in bags ranging from 1 pound all the way up to 20 pounds. 20 pounds of rice is a ridiculous amount of food, and it's only like $10. People who blow their welfare money (or minimum wage money) on processed food and expensive meat deserve to be hungry. That's what you get for being stupid.
I also noticed that the clip showed the food bank serving salad. What the fuck is wrong with these idiots? Yes leafy vegetables contain a lot of vitamins, but they don't contain any calories. If you are starving to death, vitamins won't do shit.

This what lettuce contains: 8 calories per 55g serving (ie no fucking calories, you starve to death)
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-lettuce-iceberg-i11252

This is rice: 242 calories per 186g serving (high calories, keeps billions of Asians alive)
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rice-white-medium-grain-cooked-i20051

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
lol. University of Alberta's bio science building is like that. The tiles will be of one pattern for a certain distance then boom it's suddenly a completely different tile pattern, different color, etc. Some floors are not connected to lower floors and the only way to get to them is to go on the roof. There's one class room where the only entrance is through a guy's office. Hallways just abruptly end. There are stairs leading into walls.

Sounds like the way most hospitals are built. They are always getting a new wing here and new wing there. Creates the most amazing mazes.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm actually a fan of Democracy, not Plutocracy, Offshoring, and Middle Class impoverishment, but keep touting the interests of the top 1%. I'm sure that'll fix the country. The last 30 years have been fucking fantastic!

This. Republicans and libertarians have been convincing people to vote against their self interest for at least that long. I mean don't ya know," when was the last time a poor person gave you a job" yuck yuck.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This. Republicans and libertarians have been convincing people to vote against their self interest for at least that long. I mean don't ya know," when was the last time a poor person gave you a job" yuck yuck.

:rolleyes:

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I don't think you understand the situation. There are no jobs.

I know it is anecdotal, but I've been seeing many IT jobs posted in my home market lately. I have a friend who worked help desk/desktop support at a school system, got fed up, and got a job offer within a few weeks of starting her search and has at least one, if not two, other job offer(s) in the works and those will probably drop next week.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh I didn't know that libertarians were for an aggressive progressive tax system.

A progressive tax system does not benefit the average citizen, unless the average citizen is more interested in "sticking it to the man" than they are about building the wealth of the nation.

Heavy taxes, even if they only apply to the wealthy, simply create waste and war. Bridges to nowhere and bombs to drop on camels. Higher taxes create bureaucracy, not success. You've had too much of the liberal koolaid.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
A progressive tax system does not benefit the average citizen, unless the average citizen is more interested in "sticking it to the man" than they are about building the wealth of the nation.

Have you ever wondered what school costs?
http://www.greatschools.org/find-a-...ideal/private-vs-public-schools.gs?content=59
According to the National Association of Independent Schools, the median tuition for their member private day schools in 2008-2009 in the United States was $17,441. Tuition for boarding schools was close to $37,017. (Of the 28,384 private schools in the United States, about 1,050 are affiliated with the NAIS. Average tuition for nonmember schools is substantially less: Day schools charge $10,841 and boarding schools $23,448.) (per year).
Day school is regular school where you go there for the day and leave at the end of the day. Boarding school is when you live there.

Yep, average people can totally afford private schools, and by average I mean the wealthiest 1% of people in the country. Have fun trying to find $20,000 of extra money every year just to put your average 2 children through school each year. Either that or live with progressive taxation and let rich people pay for your kids.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I know it is anecdotal, but I've been seeing many IT jobs posted in my home market lately. I have a friend who worked help desk/desktop support at a school system, got fed up, and got a job offer within a few weeks of starting her search and has at least one, if not two, other job offer(s) in the works and those will probably drop next week.

I'm seeing a few jobs pop up (more than the last year or so) but was shocked to see a statistic a few days ago that stated that there are 5 people looking for a job for every single job available. Not sure that I believe that but it could be true I guess.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Heavy taxes, even if they only apply to the wealthy, simply create waste and war. Bridges to nowhere and bombs to drop on camels. Higher taxes create bureaucracy, not success. You've had too much of the liberal koolaid.

So I guess this countries best days weren't when the policies of FDR were in full force?

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000

MY self interest is to have the ABILITY to make as much as I want if I make good choices and work hard (working sofar!). Why the FUCK would I vote for someone/something that wants to PENALIZE me for doing everything right? What kind of retard WOULD?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
MY self interest is to have the ABILITY to make as much as I want if I make good choices and work hard (working sofar!). Why the FUCK would I vote for someone/something that wants to PENALIZE me for doing everything right? What kind of retard WOULD?

Except you are Voting for those who Penalize you.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Have you ever wondered what school costs?
http://www.greatschools.org/find-a-...ideal/private-vs-public-schools.gs?content=59

Day school is regular school where you go there for the day and leave at the end of the day. Boarding school is when you live there.

Yep, average people can totally afford private schools, and by average I mean the wealthiest 1% of people in the country. Have fun trying to find $20,000 of extra money every year just to put your average 2 children through school each year. Either that or live with progressive taxation and let rich people pay for your kids.

I know what school costs. I also know that I send my daughter to private school so she gets a good education instead of a public quality one yet I still pay for public school and my property taxes remind me that I do constantly.

There is no reason for additional school funding to be funneled through the federal government. The federal government is just a middle man siphoning money into a bureaucracy that could be used to improve schools instead.

Libertarians 1
Federal Government 0

Anything else?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So I guess this countries best days weren't when the policies of FDR were in full force?

This country's (countries is plural, not possessive, the public schools failed you) best days were due to the US being the only major world power not left in shambles post-WW2.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Except you are Voting for those who Penalize you.

Really? Constantly increasing my tax burden (and making sure I won't take a next step up the corporate rung or else take a MASSIVE tax hit?), forcing me to pay for health insurance (god forbid if I have enough money for a "Cadillac" plan - lets tax that a bit more), talking about a VAT, letting tax cuts that directly impact me expire, increasing the deficit at a rate never imagined (all that money is FREE! It comes from us printing it!!! I'll just create a situation where some president down the line HAS to raise taxes, then it's not my fault!) and making sure I won't get a car that I want without a luxury tax is not "penalizing"?

Social programs, failed policies, bailouts that don't do SHIT, more regulations on small businesses (recently repealed because they didn't want REP to get credit for it), REPEATED requests to tax the rich more, etc. You get PENALIZED if you make more. The mentality that they WANT is that people who made well for themselves are BAD and EVIL. Nevermind that they haven't ever had a job out here in the real world themselves so they have no idea how much work and time it takes to put yourself in a comfortable position.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
It's hard to see when blinded by ideology. Reality of expanding and thriving middle class not found after following said idealogy.

Not all of us have dreams of achieving mediocrity. Some of us actually want to see what we are truly capable of instead of just wandering through life without a single purpose other than ourselves.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Not all of us have dreams of achieving mediocrity. Some of us actually want to see what we are truly capable of instead of just wandering through life without a single purpose other than ourselves.

So you going to make yourself wealthy by having poor people who have nothing buy stuff. Good chance of that happening. Mexico has such an awsome economy.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
So you going to make yourself wealthy by having poor people who have nothing buy stuff. Good chance of that happening. Mexico has such an awsome economy.

See, achieving mediocrity is easy when your trying to squeeze money from people who don't have any. You think I'm trying to market instant DNA tests for $1k each? No.

I target (GASP!) people who have money that can pay me. I don't know to many day laborers who are going to be looking for anyone in my field. Your entire party's platform is built on stifling people like me who test the limits of what I can do every single day.

You want everyone to sit back, take it easy and not achieve what they are capable of because that's the way YOU want to live?

Which do you think is more important for a "poor" person? Giving them the bare minimum for life with zero incentive to do better, or providing them a means to take care of themselves where the sky is the limit? When people have a strong desire to achieve, things progress. If there is no incentive to achieve, things don't.

What you SHOULD be doing is finding a way to get people to LOVE the ones above them in status so they will want to be like them instead of demonizing them and just wanting to take from them.