Those lazy poor people

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Genocide is nothing like going after a building full of rioters and drug dealers. It's impossible the others inside the building did not know about them so they are just as gulity.
Yep all those children and others who are victims of those thugs are just as guilty as those thugs:rolleyes:

Saying let's blow up all buildings in a neighborhood would be more akin to that.

I believe all men are equal when it comes down to it. However, I also believe most men work hard to show they are subhuman and should be removed from our society.
You sure seem to be working hard at it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
First time I saw this thread; didn't see it mentioned on the first page of the thread:
and a father who was laid off and unable to pay for heat so he woke every two hours to feed the woodstove to keep his two young sons warm.

BULLSHIT! SENSATIONALISM! I know tons of people who heat their houses exclusively with a wood stove. Every 2 hours? Bullshit. Put wood in it when you go to bed, put wood in it when you get up in the morning. It doesn't need tending during the night.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Read the fucking posts. We aren't self righteous. We wake up every day, work 8 or 12 hours, and we get by. We sacrifice by going to school, not eating out, not doing drugs. When we finally make it we get shafted and have to pay for those who refused to do such things.

I paid nearly $60K last year in taxes. I don't come from money and am proud to contribute... but I contribute more than most American families do and it pisses me off to see my hard work wasted on these ingrates. I work hard and went to school for a long time, living paycheck to paycheck. Why the fuck should I have to pay for some lazy bitch to get her nails done and go to the bar?

This isn't some "I heard a story from a friend" type of story. I literally had an apartment complex that I lived in and managed. I knew these people and saw them daily. Nearly 8 years later I can still tell you most of their names. The welfare people, who had the most assistance, went out to eat the most, drove the nicest cars, went to the bars the most, bought the most food, had the nicest clothes and nicest nails...and still could come up with 10% of their rent on a monthly basis.

As for the article, there is a picture of the 2 year old girl with shit on her face. This is FUCKING AMERICA! The mom can't walk to the store, go into a public restroom and wash her child's face? I'm willing to bet she has running water and paper towels inside and could've washed it. Instead they play the role of poverty to garner sympathy and more money. While they sleep in, I strive on 5 hours of sleep so I can go out and provide for my kids and even add to their college fund.

I visited the Dominican Republic, a truly poor country by our standards. The kids there lived in little brick houses. They were the nicest, most well dressed and cleanest kids I've come across. These kids put American kids to shame. Sure they were running barefoot through the streets because they couldn't afford shoes and only had two sets of clothes, but they also had some pride and their mothers took the time to wash their fucking faces, even if it was in river water.

I lean liberal and I agree with most of this. Spent some time volunteering in the poor areas of a 3rd world country too, and saw what true poverty is like. You could live in a campground in the US and have a better std of living than many parts of the world.

I think the challenge between Rs and Ds is separating out the people who really did get shit on by life and need some charity, and the lazy do-nothings who abuse the well-intended system. Ds tend to see the the former group, Rs tend to focus on the latter group. In a sense both are right, and would benefit if they bothered to listen and talk constructively.

I can only incur a certain level of outrage for this, when the welfare and corruption by the wealthy & politically connected class loot the country for exponentially more than the unwashed masses, yet rarely receive the same political attacks and scrutiny.

It feels more like the working middle class work our asses off to support the lazy down below, and enrichen the wealthy who reap most of the fruits of our labor. We get just enough to not have us revolt and scared enough of poverty to keep on going.
Collect sec8 housing & foodstamps or get a golden parachute bailout after you've committed securities fraud (or destroyed coastline and lost your company $100B,) either way you have it made.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
Here's the deal...the Romans did that to protect the government leaders. Now we have to do it to protect everyone?

I don't believe in fear systems. If the poor riot, send in the national guard and wipe out a city block or two. If they cannot govern themselves then accept our version of it.

Problem is people get all emotional about that. "Ahh little johnny only had to kill because he was hungry"...fuck that, let's put little johnny to sleep.

You are confusing bread and circuses, which was used to virtually buy votes, with supplying grain or bread to the poor which are two different things.

Supplying bread to the poor wasn't done to protect government leaders, it was done to protect the haves from the have nots. At it's height the feeding of the poor in Rome fed hundreds of thousands of people.

As far as your fantasy of putting the poor in their place, it has been tried throughout history. It's funny how everyone knows the phrase "let them eat cake" but so few know what it means.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Lot of projection here from lazy-assed people using up their companies time, if not unemployed themselves. Problem is with all the hating is that welfare programs work and help built our middle class from a time of crisis to the most productive in the world.
Just because YOUR lazy asses feel guilty about something doesent mean everyone is out to game the system. Unless you are just going on faked 80s racist stereotypes, which most are.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
First time I saw this thread; didn't see it mentioned on the first page of the thread:

BULLSHIT! SENSATIONALISM! I know tons of people who heat their houses exclusively with a wood stove. Every 2 hours? Bullshit. Put wood in it when you go to bed, put wood in it when you get up in the morning. It doesn't need tending during the night.

When I was growing up we lived in two houses heated exclusivly with a wood stove, which is what they were using in the tv program. A wood stove is not the same as a wood fired furnace which will last through the night. The fires in our stoves did not last though the night and it was a pain in the ass to be the first person up the next morning as you would freeze your ass off while waiting for a good fire to get going. We didn't bother getting up at night, though, we just used extra blankets.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
Like most people they don't have the balls to get things done and/or fear the solution will affect them somehow.

Most people go through life scared of it's shadow. It shows in how they vote, react and end up going after the one that is usually right because it's the safer thing to do.

It wouldn't be 'murder' btw. There would be a definite reason for it and one should expect that to come for not reporting crimes. The rioting thing is the poor's new answer to anything.

I do believe in any riot we should have the right to open fire on all of them once looting and burning starts.

Have you ever heard of the French Revolution?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Have you ever heard of the French Revolution?

Or I would suggest any history of the roman or greek or any other empire/civilization in history. The rich always concentrate the wealth scamming the masses until the inevitable "market correction" happens in full pitchfork and torch glory.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
welfare programs work

Horseshit

Unless you are just going on faked 80s racist stereotypes, which most are.

race-card.jpg

Classic steeplerot garbage.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
It really is funny how many people don't understand this. They talk about the welfare state as if it's something new when aid from the state is detailed throughout history. An example I always think of is the Romans giving bread to the poor to keep them from rioting.

Welfare isn't a gift, it isn't charity, it's a social contract. You don't starve the poor and they won't murder you in your bed. The hard part is determining the lowest amount of aid to the poor possible before it begins to cost more than it saves.

That is a horrible way to view welfare, almost as if it was extortion. The real story is a little bit of everyones different views. Some welfare recipients really do believe they deserve free stuff, and that they are being held down when they are not given free stuff, other people would work, but welfare is at least enough to keep them from seeking employment, some people truly cannot work, others want to work but need training, and some have just fallen on really hard times.

From the statistics on how many people get out of welfare,most of the people on welfare seem to be the last two categories. But, very few people complain about the last two categories receiving some form of welfare.

What we really need is to take a step back and take another look at how we control our welfare programs to prevent people from receiving funds when they don't need them. I don't think we have any hard statistics on how bad the problem is, but in my mind the worst form of welfare abuse are people who have a decent income that is not reported and receive welfare on top of that. I somehow doubt the stories of people on foodstamps and welfare driving a new Lexus are people who are only on welfare. They aren't really lazy. They are working. They are just lying to the government to avoid taxes, and then stealing money from the program that is meant to help those who are really poor.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
The "welfare" we had 200+ years ago is more in line with what I would like to see make a come back. That was workfare, you still had to work they didn't just give you shit unless you could not work.

The campus administration building at the college I went to has a hallway that goes nowhere. I always thought it was odd, there are no doorways, not even an exit. It wasn't until I was talking to one of my history professors that I found out it was just one of several buildings on campus that was built during the Great Depression by the WPA. They ran out of money for that project before they finished and simply put up a wall where the money ran out. It really doesn't matter that they didn't finish, the buildings are still in use and they serve a purpose.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
That is a horrible way to view welfare, almost as if it was extortion. The real story is a little bit of everyones different views. Some welfare recipients really do believe they deserve free stuff, and that they are being held down when they are not given free stuff, other people would work, but welfare is at least enough to keep them from seeking employment, some people truly cannot work, others want to work but need training, and some have just fallen on really hard times.

From the statistics on how many people get out of welfare,most of the people on welfare seem to be the last two categories. But, very few people complain about the last two categories receiving some form of welfare.

What we really need is to take a step back and take another look at how we control our welfare programs to prevent people from receiving funds when they don't need them. I don't think we have any hard statistics on how bad the problem is, but in my mind the worst form of welfare abuse are people who have a decent income that is not reported and receive welfare on top of that. I somehow doubt the stories of people on foodstamps and welfare driving a new Lexus are people who are only on welfare. They aren't really lazy. They are working. They are just lying to the government to avoid taxes, and then stealing money from the program that is meant to help those who are really poor.

Is it? Maybe my perception of reality is skewed, but that's just how I view it.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Like most people they don't have the balls to get things done and/or fear the solution will affect them somehow.

Most people go through life scared of it's shadow. It shows in how they vote, react and end up going after the one that is usually right because it's the safer thing to do.

It wouldn't be 'murder' btw. There would be a definite reason for it and one should expect that to come for not reporting crimes. The rioting thing is the poor's new answer to anything.

I do believe in any riot we should have the right to open fire on all of them once looting and burning starts.

This reminds me of a song....

So we'll sign a check for Limbaughism.
Restore the moral fundamental core.
We'll cut the debt,
And start a tet offensive on the poor.

It's a blitzkreig in the making. (EVERYBODY!)
It's distinctly upper class (Well, not everybody)
Yes sir, I'll get the door.
Roll the carpet on the floor.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
Is it? Maybe my perception of reality is skewed, but that's just how I view it.

Most people on welfare are only there temporarily. For them, welfare allows them to rejoin society as a working member. So, for us, most welfare payments are an investment in someone who is on hard times, and it usually pays off. They are for the most part good people, in bad times.

Of course, the pieces of dirt who would murder you are more likely to be on welfare, but that is because they are violent criminals who can't find jobs. They are a small portion of those on welfare, and the only real link between them and the good people on welfare is the lack of a job.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Well it would be great if Obama could help the "lazy poor" people unfortunately he had to bail out his friends in the unions, his friends the Wall Street fat cats, his friends in the banks and AIG. Perhaps if these "lazy poor" had some good lobbyists they wouldn't be in this situations.

Myself and my wife have a great life and we don't want for much (if anything) and we got here by working hard and making the right financial decisions, when we go grocery shopping we use coupons and stock up on things that are on sale however more than once the people in front of us were using food-stamps and more often than not these people are eating substantially better than us.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
I love the jealousy of people supposedly without stamps, oh noes!!11!! but class warfare baaad!