Those lazy poor people

Oct 16, 1999
Dateline has a special coming up this Sunday on a bunch of those lazy poor folks living it up on food stamps and welfare. They played a clip this morning on The Today Show and it looks like something several people in particluar here should watch. I'll link to that clip tomorrow assuming it's posted on Hulu, but in the meantime here's an article with a link to another video preview:
http://insidedateline.msnbc.msn.com...day-july-25-america-now-friends-and-neighbors

Edit: Here's the Today Show clip that prompted my post. Clearly these people are choosing to live this way because being destitute is so awesome.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/166141/nbc-today-show-jobless-mother-struggles-in-severe-poverty

Edit 2: Here's the full show:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38363219#38363219

Last edited:

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
should have thought about that before you had kids and lived in a shitty area of the country.

and if you worked all your life to feed your family and you died hungry you are doing it wrong.

We should send these Americans to haiti for a few months and so they know how well they have it and what its really like to be hungry.3

whaaaaaambulence.......look how poor i am with my electricity running water and kitchen appliances.....screw haiti take a stroll through an inner city ghetto.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
should have thought about that before you had kids and lived in a shitty area of the country.

and if you worked all your life to feed your family and you died hungry you are doing it wrong.

We should send these Americans to haiti for a few months and so they know how well they have it and what its really like to be hungry.3

whaaaaaambulence.......look how poor i am with my electricity running water and kitchen appliances.....screw haiti take a stroll through an inner city ghetto.

So words like "relative poverty" don't mean anything to you? You're an ass.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
So words like "relative poverty" don't mean anything to you? You're an ass.

What of "relative poverty"? My truck is 13 years old, but the average age of cars on the road today is ~9 years. Do I get a bailout because I'm driving a clunker, relatively speaking?

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
What of "relative poverty"? My truck is 13 years old, but the average age of cars on the road today is ~9 years. Do I get a bailout because I'm driving a clunker, relatively speaking?

What does that have to do with anything??

Though they did offer cash to people with cars like that in order to get a new one.....

So yes... you do (could have anyway.. i don't know if cash for clunkers is still going on) get a bailout...

We live in a society with an applied (albeit arbitrary) line of poverty. We tend to help those below it. We could easily change policy to lower the line to "going to die tomorrow without help" but we don't as we are not generally jack asses. Of course there is such a thing as relatively poor.. there is relatively anything. Just because folks elsewhere are worse off does not mean we are insane for helping people out who are above that line of near dead.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Nope. Had to be 20 years and 17mpg average.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
I don't care about the poor. I am trying to do the right thing for me and I don't need someone else opening my wallet. Quit having kids, make better choices, get a good job and an education.

It all comes down to choice. Maybe they didn't choose to be poor, but the choices that they alone made led them to that destination.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I don't care about the poor. I am trying to do the right thing for me and I don't need someone else opening my wallet. Quit having kids, make better choices, get a good job and an education.

It all comes down to choice. Maybe they didn't choose to be poor, but the choices that they alone made led them to that destination.

Oh no, how could you preach about do the right thing, make better choices, get an education and bad choices = bad consequences later in life...that is soooooooooooo RACIST!!! If they make bad decisions and suffer, that should be Bush/Republicans/whities/fill in the blank faults....<sarcastism off>

On the serious side, I could not say it any better. Amen.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
This thread isn't possible.

Everyone knows it is impossible for black people to be racist and white people to be poor.

I mean, come on now use your noggins.

If Ben Jealous and the NAACP is not protesting them outside their house tomorrow for institutional racism and the privileges they have by being born white I'm going to have a hissy.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005

Relative poverty is not that, but thanks for playing.

Relative poverty would be what we consider the poverty line. It's much higher than actual poverty and severe poverty (under $2 or $1 a day, respectively). But relative to the people living in this country, they'd be considered poor.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
lol the top comment

Nicole-2048360
I know this family personally. Maybe before doing a story on how poor they are you should really look into the reasons they are sooo poor!! Look at criminal records, Children Services records, and ask around. Drugs and drinking are a big portion of why Mrs. Mash has to support her entire family!! This is a disgrace to those who are "REALLY" working poor!!!! There are plenty of fast food jobs in our county, but as I heard one of the grandchildren say "I'm not working in no fast food joint". There are also college options. We have 2 colleges that are full of financial aide assistance and grants. I know this because I am working poor and I put myself through college without help from my family. I did it all on my own with the assistance of these grants and extra programs. The college is within walking distance of the Mash home and it also has a daycare available!!!

So yea, they are basically piece of shit lazy motherfuckers who make poor life choices. FUCK THEM.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
I, and I think most Americans, don't necessarily have a problem helping out those in need who are doing everything they can to help themselves. It is the welfare moms and the lazy who leach the system that I cannot stand and would rather starve to death than give a dollar to. I was a landlord for several years, and believe me, I've had my fare share of deadbeats who made more on welfare than working.

What I said about making your own choices holds true... but I would be much more inclined to help someone who (at the time) made good choices and is now down on his/her luck. I had a renter who had an asshole husband. She was married for years and had two kids by him before she was able to leave. I'm sure when she married him he wasn't an asshole and even though her decision to marry him, in hindsight, was bad, at the time it wasn't.

So she divorces him and moves on with her two kids and he is nowhere around. She lives modestly, drives a very old car, shops bargains, is going to school and has a full-time job. She has no free time and is eeking by, trying to get out of the rut. She neve asks for anything, isn't getting pregnant again, and doesn't buy Doritos and Pepsi. She has one TV, a 19", that looks like she found at the dump in the reuse area.

Contrast this with another renter I had. She worked at a gas station, had 4 kids by 3 different fathers. She spends all of her money on her hair, nails and alcohol. Her house (government assisted) is completely trashed all the time and she doesn't give a fuck. She has random men coming over all hours of the day. She cannot come up with her $100 portion of $1200 rent ($1100 subsidized by taxpayers) though she can get a hair color and celebrate by going to the bars (I ran into her one night at a bar when she owed me money. Uncomfortable.)

I would happily help those who help themselves and just need a hand for a short while. These are people who would otherwise be productive citizens had the factory not closed, or the economy not tanked, or their husband didn't die...people who tried very hard to make good choices that didn't lead them to where they wanted to be.

I think welfare shouldn't be given to the bottom rungs of our society and instead given to those just above them who are trying, who are bettering themselves, who did try to do the right thing. The corollary to this is that those who refuse to work, who pop out kids left and right, who waste money on drugs and alcohol, who won't go to school or work two jobs will get nothing. Nothing at all. They ALL have the ability to do something. I see these "homeless" people with signs, and they stand in front of McDonalds that has a banner saying "Now Hiring."

Help those who deserve it and who can take the help and do something with it.

Last edited:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
just think of all the gov.admin jobs the PBF's assure. (Poor Broke Fusks). And the gov.admins assure that the PBF's will spend a life time on the dole thus creating more PBF's.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
What a Reagan era welfare queen circle jerk.

There are plenty of people with degrees who had jobs up who lost it all. Too bad the Free Trade religion doesn't let you go back in time, not have kids, and learn Chinese instead of studying Engineering or Business.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I, and I think most Americans, don't necessarily have a problem helping out those in need who are doing everything they can to help themselves. It is the welfare moms and the lazy who leach the system that I cannot stand and would rather starve to death than give a dollar to. I was a landlord for several years, and believe me, I've had my fare share of deadbeats who made more on welfare than working.

What I said about making your own choices holds true... but I would be much more inclined to help someone who (at the time) made good choices and is now down on his/her luck. I had a renter who had an asshole husband. She was married for years and had two kids by him before she was able to leave. I'm sure when she married him he wasn't an asshole and even though her decision to marry him, in hindsight, was bad, at the time it wasn't.

So she divorces him and moves on with her two kids and he is nowhere around. She lives modestly, drives a very old car, shops bargains, is going to school and has a full-time job. She has no free time and is eeking by, trying to get out of the rut. She neve asks for anything, isn't getting pregnant again, and doesn't buy Doritos and Pepsi. She has one TV, a 19", that looks like she found at the dump in the reuse area.

Contrast this with another renter I had. She worked at a gas station, had 4 kids by 3 different fathers. She spends all of her money on her hair, nails and alcohol. Her house (government assisted) is completely trashed all the time and she doesn't give a fuck. She has random men coming over all hours of the day. She cannot come up with her $100 portion of $1200 rent ($1100 subsidized by taxpayers) though she can get a hair color and celebrate by going to the bars (I ran into her one night at a bar when she owed me money. Uncomfortable.)

I would happily help those who help themselves and just need a hand for a short while. These are people who would otherwise be productive citizens had the factory not closed, or the economy not tanked, or their husband didn't die...people who tried very hard to make good choices that didn't lead them to where they wanted to be.

I think welfare shouldn't be given to the bottom rungs of our society and instead given to those just above them who are trying, who are bettering themselves, who did try to do the right thing. The corollary to this is that those who refuse to work, who pop out kids left and right, who waste money on drugs and alcohol, who won't go to school or work two jobs will get nothing. Nothing at all. They ALL have the ability to do something. I see these "homeless" people with signs, and they stand in front of McDonalds that has a banner saying "Now Hiring."

Help those who deserve it and who can take the help and do something with it.

Help should be limited to 3 meals a day for 8 hours of hard manual labor. We need to make welfare undesirable. We need to make it the last possible option. Right now, welfare is like a Mcdonalds double cheeseburger. Its not the best, but people will gladly take one if its free.

We need to cut the cheeseburger in half, let it sit in the dumpster for a few days, THEN offer it to people who need "welfare". Then, only the people who are truly in need of help and have absolutely no options will eat that disgusting burger.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Help should be limited to 3 meals a day for 8 hours of hard manual labor. We need to make welfare undesirable. We need to make it the last possible option. Right now, welfare is like a Mcdonalds double cheeseburger. Its not the best, but people will gladly take one if its free.

We need to cut the cheeseburger in half, let it sit in the dumpster for a few days, THEN offer it to people who need "welfare". Then, only the people who are truly in need of help and have absolutely no options will eat that disgusting burger.

To qualify for welfare, you should be required to pass a drug test. And pass a drug test every 2-3 months to stay on it.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

There are plenty of people with degrees who had jobs up who lost it all. Too bad the Free Trade religion doesn't let you go back in time, not have kids, and learn Chinese instead of studying Engineering or Business.

lol how's the Communism religion working out for you?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

OK, so how many of these families are you personally supporting?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Nope. Had to be 20 years and 17mpg average.

You must be doing it all wrong. We had a "section 8" family living in a house in my neighborhood that paid $200.00 per month in rent for a house that rents for $2100.00. Fortunately for them the driveway was large enough for them to park the Mercedes, Jaguar, and the Chrysler mini van. And they rented out a room in the house which likely covered the $200.00.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
There are plenty of people with degrees who had jobs up who lost it all.

Yeah, and those are typically the people who are working two jobs and doing everything it takes to get back on their feet. They deserve to be helped, unlike welfare moms who keep having kids and spending money on drugs, booze, hair, and clothes. See Apple of Sodom's post for more details.

I'm sorry, but if you're a single welfare mom and keep pushing out kids, the kids should be taken away and the payments should be stopped.