This man amputated his own arm with a pocket knife!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heifetz

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: isaacmacdonald
Originally posted by: bunker
Ralston's pocketknife amputation wasn't the first in the region.

In October 1993, a fisherman from Conifer used a fishing knife to cut off his left leg at the knee when he was trapped by a fallen boulder near St. Mary's Glacier.

In recounting the experience soon after, Bill Jeracki said he yelled for help for hours, then the weather started to change for the worse and he became concerned for his survival.

He applied a tourniquet, then carved around his lower leg, cutting beneath the kneecap, severing the muscles and tendons that attach the lower leg at the knee joint. He used hemostats from his fishing kit to close the severed artery and vein, then crawled back to his truck and drove to Alice.

Good God!!

Taken from here

Jesus. You'd think they'd put out one of those "watch for falling boulder" signs.

This guy staged it. I remember the story and there was a picture taked with a Deptuy sheriff HOLDING the "boulder" that trapped his leg.

Rumor has it, this guy got obsessed with a guy in Main or somewhere who was a logger. while logging this guy got his leg trapped between two big ass logs. the logger cut his own leg off to escape. So for some reason this guy in colorado got obsessed with the logger, dont know if it was courage, survival, fame... So he went out and somehow made a boulder fall on his leg.... so he could cut his own leg off and become as famus as the logger.

Jesus...what kind of a person would do such a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Sounds like a survivor. Who knows whether help would've arrived in time.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Different articles say different things. One says 200, one says 800, and one says 1000. Who knows what to believe. I don't think it was 200 lbs, because I'm sure he would have found a way to move it. Although depending on what position he's in, it might be really hard to do that.

I think I'd rather just die than cut off my own arm though.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK
Different articles say different things. One says 200, one says 800, and one says 1000. Who knows what to believe. I don't think it was 200 lbs, because I'm sure he would have found a way to move it. Although depending on what position he's in, it might be really hard to do that.

I think I'd rather just die than cut off my own arm though.

That guy is crazy.

Yeah I too was thinking if it was only 200lbs why couldn'the just tip it over or what not? But if it was 800lbs then hes not going to be moving that as easily. If it was wedged in he and hes in a difficult position he won't get that 800lbs out.

Still that guy is one hell of a guy.

Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Holy crap!

Talk about a story for the bars ... "I lost a finger to a dog." "Dude, I cut my arm off with a pocketknife. You're a little bitch."

- M4H

Dam right!!!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
this was all over the jim rome show today. sure, dude is hardcore, but the first rule of being outside is you go in 3s. or at least a pair. he wouldn't have had to do this if he didn't follow that simple rule.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
this was all over the jim rome show today. sure, dude is hardcore, but the first rule of being outside is you go in 3s. or at least a pair. he wouldn't have had to do this if he didn't follow that simple rule.
I find it strange that nobody called him in missing for 4 days.. He must be quite the outdoorsman for that not to alarm people.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
i think that would sting a little.

man..........what if he didn't have a pocketknife? chew it off???

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
Why waste time and money retreiving the aputated arm?? It's not like he needs it again or something. It was probably half decomposed by now. Guess those rangers needed something to do.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
They are giving him a prosthetic arm? What are they like, I am not aware of any that actually work.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: fonzinator
Why waste time and money retreiving the aputated arm?? It's not like he needs it again or something. It was probably half decomposed by now. Guess those rangers needed something to do.
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they want to preserve it and put it in the badass hall of fame. :p

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
just saw him on a news conference around 1:30pm pst. seems like he knew his stuff and very well composed. i'd still be a total wreck after doing something like that.