This man amputated his own arm with a pocket knife!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Its truly amazing what people can do. Not only did he cut off his right arm with the knife, before that he endured four+ days of it being crushed by the boulder, and after the amputation he rappelled the rest of the way down and walked out.

cmf21

Oct 10, 1999
Saw this on the local news. Pretty gross if you ask me. I probably would have fallen to my death rather then cut off my own arm.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
That dude's hardcore.
werd.... :Q

Let this be a lesson to everyone though... never hike alone in the middle of nowhere.

Damn, though... numb or not... to cut off your own arm with a pocketknife!

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Thump553
Its truly amazing what people can do. Not only did he cut off his right arm with the knife, before that he endured four+ days of it being crushed by the boulder, and after the amputation he rappelled the rest of the way down and walked out.

Yeah, this is an amazing story. Honestly I don't know that I could do this. He sounds like quite a physical specimen, which surely helped him in this dire situation.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Confused
If he was in so much pain with the bolder on his arm, then cutting it off can't have hurt too much more!

Brave guy tho, he knew what he needed to do!

If you were there, you probably would have done the same!

Confused

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
IMHO...that guy is one TOUGH SOB!!!

Kudos to him for surviving, and having the guts to do what it took to make it out alive.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Ralston's pocketknife amputation wasn't the first in the region.

In October 1993, a fisherman from Conifer used a fishing knife to cut off his left leg at the knee when he was trapped by a fallen boulder near St. Mary's Glacier.

In recounting the experience soon after, Bill Jeracki said he yelled for help for hours, then the weather started to change for the worse and he became concerned for his survival.

He applied a tourniquet, then carved around his lower leg, cutting beneath the kneecap, severing the muscles and tendons that attach the lower leg at the knee joint. He used hemostats from his fishing kit to close the severed artery and vein, then crawled back to his truck and drove to Alice.

Good God!!

Taken from here

calpha

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Yah, I read that too.

Impressive story. Be interesting to hear him talk about it if he ever does......

I can't imagine the mental state one must have once the decision to amputate yourself has been made....regardless of whether or not you can feel it. Personally I don't think he did feel it because it would seem pain that intense would cause you to pass out.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
It says they had just sent out the rescue parties that day, how much would it suck if they would have found him just a couple hours after he did the job?

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: bunker

In October 1993, a fisherman from Conifer used a fishing knife to cut off his left leg at the knee when he was trapped by a fallen boulder near St. Mary's Glacier.

In recounting the experience soon after, Bill Jeracki said he yelled for help for hours, then the weather started to change for the worse and he became concerned for his survival.

He applied a tourniquet, then carved around his lower leg, cutting beneath the kneecap, severing the muscles and tendons that attach the lower leg at the knee joint. He used hemostats from his fishing kit to close the severed artery and vein, then crawled back to his truck and drove to Alice.

Good God!!

Taken from here

Jesus. You'd think they'd put out one of those "watch for falling boulder" signs.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: PipBoy
It says they had just sent out the rescue parties that day, how much would it suck if they would have found him just a couple hours after he did the job?

Yeah, cuts off arm, starts repelling down, and people pull up right then. That would SUCK!

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
His arm was stuck under a 200 lb rock... I'd have a better chance moving it than cutting off my arm...

still... d00d's hardcore

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
can you imagine accidently dropping the knife half way through....man that would suck...

seems like this guy is into doing all kinds of crazy things though, i give him props for doing what had to be done.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Why didn't he move the boulder? 200lbs is a tiny boulder.

Rescuer: "Why didn't you just move the boulder?"

d00d: "Aw fvck!"

Or,

Rescuer1: "I'm afraid we're going to have to saw off your arm."

Homer: "It'll grow back right?"

Rescuer1: "Uh... sure..."

Rescuer2: "Are you still holding on to the can???"

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Holy crap!

Talk about a story for the bars ... "I lost a finger to a dog." "Dude, I cut my arm off with a pocketknife. You're a little bitch."

- M4H

:D That reminded me of a friend of mine. Everything he has done is ten times worse than anything anybody esle has done.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
That almost makes me sick. :disgust:

Oh well, I guess you've got to do what you've got to do. :(

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
I wonder if he read the Maxim "how to" section on how to amputate your own arm! That would be crazy if he actually used that info to his benefit!

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: isaacmacdonald
Originally posted by: bunker

Good God!!

Taken from here

Jesus. You'd think they'd put out one of those "watch for falling boulder" signs.

This guy staged it. I remember the story and there was a picture taked with a Deptuy sheriff HOLDING the "boulder" that trapped his leg.

Rumor has it, this guy got obsessed with a guy in Main or somewhere who was a logger. while logging this guy got his leg trapped between two big ass logs. the logger cut his own leg off to escape. So for some reason this guy in colorado got obsessed with the logger, dont know if it was courage, survival, fame... So he went out and somehow made a boulder fall on his leg.... so he could cut his own leg off and become as famus as the logger.