Question This is why I hate Apple products in general.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
The wife has an ipad 2 that has sat in a drawer new and unused for a couple years. It came with a piece of veterinary equipment, but was not needed to function. Some technician of hers set up an Apple id account or something for it when it was new. It was recently discovered, so she brought it home and I thought we could make some use of it. The original computer it was set up with is long gone, and no one remembers the passwords or anything. So rather than just be able to reset it, we have a paperweight. Seriously, I understand security is important, but if not having a password renders an expensive device into a brick, wtf good is it?

She bought a new ipad for another piece of equipment she is purchasing. My question is does Apple still work the same way? We don't not want itunes or any of that crap on her server, we just want to put the software app on it and use the damn thing without a password...

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
The wife has an ipad 2 that has sat in a drawer new and unused for a couple years. It came with a piece of veterinary equipment, but was not needed to function. Some technician of hers set up an Apple id account or something for it when it was new. It was recently discovered, so she brought it home and I thought we could make some use of it. The original computer it was set up with is long gone, and no one remembers the passwords or anything. So rather than just be able to reset it, we have a paperweight. Seriously, I understand security is important, but if not having a password renders an expensive device into a brick, wtf good is it?

She bought a new ipad for another piece of equipment she is purchasing. My question is does Apple still work the same way? We don't not want itunes or any of that crap on her server, we just want to put the software app on it and use the damn thing without a password...

If anyone could take an iDevice and bypass the original user's password, then it wouldn't be very good security, now would it?

Yes, Apple still works the same way (in the sense that if you connect it to an Apple ID and then DON'T turn off Find My iPhone then the device will be iCloud locked to the account you used to set it up.).

You'll need to connect it to an Apple ID in order to access the app store and download things. You DO NOT need iTunes in order to use iDevices, and haven't had to use it for years. You are able to use iDevices without passcodes, but doing so will turn off certain features (TouchID, password saving, CC saving, etc.).

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I don't have a receipt for the iPad itself for it, but I should be able to prove it came with a piece of equipment via the invoice or something. I may try that thanks.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I had time after work today so I finally got it working. Downloaded the iTunes app, got it to recognize the iPad, restored and updated it. Fortunately it showed enough characters of the recovery email that I was able to reset the password. I was trying a different Apple id up until now. Now that it's working and since it has Bluetooth, I may try making it a music streaming device for the garage and for Youtube videos etc. while I'm working on stuff.

We have a new iPad 7th gen. and it is much nicer than this, but it is for the wife's business so all's I had to do was set it up and install her software. If only I could add more storage on the old one!

Reactions: FaaR

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
iPad 2 is ancient. Even if it does work, your OS is probably 5 years old and it must be slow slow slow.
My wife has an iPad2, and I must say it held up well. Is it as fast as my iPad pro, no it's not. However it still works well, and she has no desire to replace it.
I use it every now and then, and don't find it slow at all.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I think the OS is 9.3.5? I'm at work now. It does seem a bit slow, but for what I'll use it for it will be fine. I can definitely tell the display pixel density is lower than even my old Kindle Fire HD. It's basically brand new so I'm just excited to get it up and running it was more of a project than an actual need, I can always buy a new cheap tablet that's better.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
On a related note, I dug out a Macbook Pro from 2009. C2D, 8GB, SSD so should run modern software just fine but Apple does not support it anymore so the latest OS I can install is 4 years old. That would not be a huge problem but I can't install any software from the App Store because of it. I can install some software that you download from their website like Firefox and Steam but Office and this video editing program I use tell me that my OS is too old.

Apple has the worst built in obsolescence scheme.

Reactions: Magic Carpet

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
On a related note, I dug out a Macbook Pro from 2009. C2D, 8GB, SSD so should run modern software just fine but Apple does not support it anymore so the latest OS I can install is 4 years old. That would not be a huge problem but I can't install any software from the App Store because of it. I can install some software that you download from their website like Firefox and Steam but Office and this video editing program I use tell me that my OS is too old.

From what I understand, there are workarounds and patches you can use to install Catalina on your machine. Of course, YMMV if it allows you to run the software that you need given that some features of software may not work well without the hardware support provided by newer Macs.

Of course, you could commit the ultimate heresy and risk possible excommunication from the Cult of Apple by installing Windows on it...

Reactions: paperfist

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Of course, you could commit the ultimate heresy and risk possible excommunication from the Cult of Apple by installing Windows on it...
The ultimate price haha.
I've used Windows on desktops my whole life and use them most of the time. I am comfortable with either OS.

The biggest draw to Mac anything was that if you wanted a great laptop 6+ years ago, the only option was a Macbook Pro. There was no Windows laptop that was in the same ballpark hardware wise. Now the Surface laptop, Dell XPS and maybe some others are nearly equal in design and ergonomics.

Boot Camp of El Capitan says it can set up a Windows 7 partition. Windows 7 is in the same boat as El Capitan. Do you know if I can install Windows 10?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I think there was a Boot Camp update to install Win10 on El Capitan at the time of the the Win10 release but Apple gimped it by design to only work on, you guessed it, recent Macs (2012 or later mostly).

There was a workaround, but I don't know if it still works:

It just involves editing some Boot Camp files, so it should be relatively safe (i.e. no anonymous patches, etc) and easy to undo.

If your current Win7 is activated, you should even be able to use the Win7 key for a clean free upgrade install to Win10. Just create an install media using the Windows Media Creation Tool.

There is apparently a requirement to have an optical drive to install Windows in Boot Camp. If your laptop doesn't have one, you might still be able to create a USB installer and do the following workaround to see if it still works (again, just editing some Boot Camp files so easy to undo if you back up the original files):

The way I look at it, as long as you do a good backup beforehand, what do you have to loose by trying? A C2D with 8GB of memory is plenty powerful enough to run Win10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Staples

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Bringing this thread back up because I installed Windows 10 on my old unsupported Macbook Pro. It works fine and now I can install software on it once again.
Had to install Windows 7 from an old disk I had and activate it. Download Win 10 and upgrade. Then I had to install the Apple drivers using compatibility mode since I am not running Windows 7.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004

Gotta agree here. I have a 2010 or 11 with core i5 and its obsolete as well. Smh. I cant update it anymore. Such bs.

Feb 4, 2009
The security is the only reason I'm comfortable buying expensive mobile devices. I want it to be basically worthless to a thief.

But it is not, they simply jailbrake it and it is good to go.
However that is an additional step that needs to be performed.
Personally I prefer Apple because they are now a hardware company. They sell your data but they are much less creepy and much more responsible about it than google which is an ad company that sells/licenses hardware

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I think by far the best reason to buy an iPhone over anything else is that it will still be updated for 4 or more years after purchase. Besides that, the hardware can be matched by many flagship Android phones. I am looking forward to the SE2. I am that guy who doesn’t want to spend much nor do I want to upgrade often.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
But it is not, they simply jailbrake it and it is good to go.
However that is an additional step that needs to be performed.
Personally I prefer Apple because they are now a hardware company. They sell your data but they are much less creepy and much more responsible about it than google which is an ad company that sells/licenses hardware
LOL! Who still jailbreaks an iPhone in 2020?

Apple got pretty serious about security since iPhone 6 / Touch ID / Secure Enclave. Jailbreaking would undermine one of the most compelling reasons to own an iDevice.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I think by far the best reason to buy an iPhone over anything else is that it will still be updated for 4 or more years after purchase. Besides that, the hardware can be matched by many flagship Android phones. I am looking forward to the SE2. I am that guy who doesn’t want to spend much nor do I want to upgrade often.
Well, Apple got pretty far ahead in 2018. The 2019 Android flagships couldn't match the performance of Apple's 2018 devices.

I haven't paid attention, so maybe someone can answer this for me: Did any Android flagships get a processor with a 7nm process in 2020?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Well, Apple got pretty far ahead in 2018. The 2019 Android flagships couldn't match the performance of Apple's 2018 devices.

I haven't paid attention, so maybe someone can answer this for me: Did any Android flagships get a processor with a 7nm process in 2020?
The Snapdragon 855 (2019 Android flagships) was 7nm. The A12 (2018 iPhones) was the first with 7nm in the mobile space (in any appreciable volume, not sure if there were any Korea only Samsung Exynos devices that may or may not have been 7nm).

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I seriously doubt an iPhone 6S or newer with a secure passcode and up-to-date iOS can just be jailbroken and re-sold with no caveats. This was my point. The security basically makes it worthless to a thief. iCloud activation lock would be a big deal breaker.

I think Apple has taken it too far with that. Now you can't even move an authentic display from one brand new iPhone to another. Now even the internal parts of a brand new phone are worthless to a thief.

Feb 4, 2009
I seriously doubt an iPhone 6S or newer with a secure passcode and up-to-date iOS can just be jailbroken and re-sold with no caveats. This was my point. The security basically makes it worthless to a thief. iCloud activation lock would be a big deal breaker.

I think Apple has taken it too far with that. Now you can't even move an authentic display from one brand new iPhone to another. Now even the internal parts of a brand new phone are worthless to a thief.

I changed the screen on my iPhone 6 last year. Amazon seller, not one part.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I’ve never played a 3D game on a smartphone since Android 3x was the best out there. And even then, I was just testing it out. Come to think of it, I’ve never played any game on a smartphone since.

I’m I alone?

I read, send text messages, listen to podcasts and watch video, talk on it occasionally.

Feb 4, 2009
I’ve never played a 3D game on a smartphone since Android 3x was the best out there. And even then, I was just testing it out. Come to think of it, I’ve never played any game on a smartphone since.

I’m I alone?

I read, send text messages, listen to podcasts and watch video, talk on it occasionally.

You are not, last "game" I loaded on a smart phone was around 2008