Question This is why I hate Apple products in general.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
The wife has an ipad 2 that has sat in a drawer new and unused for a couple years. It came with a piece of veterinary equipment, but was not needed to function. Some technician of hers set up an Apple id account or something for it when it was new. It was recently discovered, so she brought it home and I thought we could make some use of it. The original computer it was set up with is long gone, and no one remembers the passwords or anything. So rather than just be able to reset it, we have a paperweight. Seriously, I understand security is important, but if not having a password renders an expensive device into a brick, wtf good is it?

She bought a new ipad for another piece of equipment she is purchasing. My question is does Apple still work the same way? We don't not want itunes or any of that crap on her server, we just want to put the software app on it and use the damn thing without a password...

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

I changed the screen on my iPhone 6 last year. Amazon seller, not one part.
I said you can't straight swap the screen of two brand new iPhones without caveats due to further tightened "security" (anti-repair engineering) on the latest devices. Unless Apple changed this (and I have no reason to think they did), only an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) can get the machine to pair the replacement screens for newer devices -- and it's prohibitively expensive for AASPs.

iPhone 6 is a 2014 model and already obsolete. It will not run the latest version of iOS.

Also the current jailbreaks have to be performed from a device that you already have full access to (activated, get past passcode lock, use data connection + web browser).

Not useful for a thief.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: killster1

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
From what I understand, there are workarounds and patches you can use to install Catalina on your machine. Of course, YMMV if it allows you to run the software that you need given that some features of software may not work well without the hardware support provided by newer Macs.

Of course, you could commit the ultimate heresy and risk possible excommunication from the Cult of Apple by installing Windows on it...

There wouldn't happen to be workarounds to update iPad2 and iOS, would there? Last I looked it was from sketchy sorces.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Thanks. I wonder what I could repurpose my iPad2 as? The screen is cracked, but it seems like a waste to just toss out.
Potentially as a homekit hub? I think the iPad 2 topped out at iOS 9, so that may or may not work. If the crack isn't horrible, then maybe just put a protector over it (so you don't make the crack worse/have to run your fingers over the crack) and set it up as a kitchen recipe screen?

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Although Apple started the trend, irreplaceable batteries are the standard now with anything small and light.

The funny thing is if other manufacturers weren't just copier machines they wouldn't be blindly following Apple with these things. It's funny how everyone fell in line with non-removable batteries and the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Why do they follow what Apple does so much?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
The funny thing is if other manufacturers weren't just copier machines they wouldn't be blindly following Apple with these things. It's funny how everyone fell in line with non-removable batteries and the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack.

The most blatant thing was the notch. It was a stop gap solution and others took it as some type of new cool feature that the iPhone had. I mean, I can understand copying good features but the notch was just stupid and no one had to do it. If Apple ever threw out something really stupid like making an iPhone the size and weight of of a brick, the same people who copied the notch would copy this too.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
The most blatant thing was the notch. It was a stop gap solution and others took it as some type of new cool feature that the iPhone had. I mean, I can understand copying good features but the notch was just stupid and no one had to do it. If Apple ever threw out something really stupid like making an iPhone the size and weight of of a brick, the same people who copied the notch would copy this too.

Exactly. In Apple's case the top bezel on the iPhone X was function over form, the way to get the most screen space and Face ID in the one device. Many other manufacturers that followed the same lead didn't even have Face ID.

Feb 4, 2009

I used to work in wireless, nobody body and I mean nobody ever replaced their battery on any phone. I think out of 5 to 10k transactions a year my people would sell maybe 5 batteries.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
I used to work in wireless, nobody body and I mean nobody ever replaced their battery on any phone. I think out of 5 to 10k transactions a year my people would sell maybe 5 batteries.

Personally I've never replaced a battery on a phone either. I had phones with replaceable batteries for years and never had a need or desire to replace the battery. I've usually always found that you'd be wanting to upgrade the phone long before the battery ever became a problem anyway.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Although Apple started the trend, irreplaceable batteries are the standard now with anything small and light.
iPhone batteries are actually reasonably easy to replace, especially compared to basically any other Apple device. Not on the fly of course, but if you need to carry around spare batteries with you then that's a sign you simply fiddle with your phone too fking much. Moderate yourself!

Or, you know, simply bring a powerbank with you. Compromising the phone's waterproofing just so you can replace the battery manually is not worth it in my personal opinion. Plus, the having your phone fly apart and go skittering across the floor in several different directions if you were to drop it - yes this has happened to me in the bad old days before iphone by the way and it's as annoying (and potentially dangerous) as it is embarrassing. :p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The security is the only reason I'm comfortable buying expensive mobile devices. I want it to be basically worthless to a thief.
its not.
their products end up on the Chinese black market and they have ways of wiping the things clean to let somebody use them, but without official Apple support.