The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
That happened with the star wars mmo. Becoming a Jedi was nearly impossible in the original game that was shut off.

Yeah, they eventually opened it up for everyone because people hated it. (I actually already commented on it in this thread =3)

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
The CGI trailer was so cliche that I ended up hating it.

Women in distress. Bad guys all around. Dark mysterious good guy appears. Good guy wipes out bad guys. Women is saved. Yawn.

Plenty of eye rolls where had during the viewing.

Just curious have you actually played the witched games? The character is notoriously ambivalent to the struggles between the human kingdoms this trailer foreshadows that geralt is most likely going to take a stand against nilfgaard in the final game. There's a lot of character development happening in this trailer if you understand the lore at all.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Just curious have you actually played the witched games? The character is notoriously ambivalent to the struggles between the human kingdoms this trailer foreshadows that geralt is most likely going to take a stand against nilfgaard in the final game. There's a lot of character development happening in this trailer if you understand the lore at all.

CDPR has done a great job making the world shades of gray and not just a simple black and white choice in the previous games. I can only imagine what they can do in this game. >_>

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Yes. Played through both and loved them.

I just didn't like this recent CGI trailer.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yes. Played through both and loved them.

I just didn't like this recent CGI trailer.

I thought it was a good trailer, I liked the scene and such but it didn't get me hyped for the game. CG almost never gets me hyped for a game.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/witcher-2-tweak-guide#1
Try this for W2 Haven't played 2 yet, though I have used some of these suggestions for "tweaking" W2.

So, i decided to pick up Witcher 2 again. I dropped the thing when i could not kill the Kayran (too many quick time events--it was like Dragon's Lair, which i was not very good at either). Anyway, i updated the thing and now i cant find the option for key bindings. I have been all over the options, but it appears gone. If i cant remap key bindings i will be dropping this damn thing again...

EDIT: Nevermind i found it. Its in /bin/Configurator.exe

Last edited:

Kudro

Mar 29, 2008
So, i decided to pick up Witcher 2 again. I dropped the thing when i could not kill the Kayran (too many quick time events--it was like Dragon's Lair, which i was not very good at either). Anyway, i updated the thing and now i cant find the option for key bindings. I have been all over the options, but it appears gone. If i cant remap key bindings i will be dropping this damn thing again...

It's on the launcher. Options --> Input Settings

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Sad to say... W1 was one of my most FAVE games..... At first. It got really repetative. Never finished it. Bought 2..... I think it still may be shrinkwrapped in the closet.

Guess what I am going to do tonight? YUP..... Start at one. Anyoe rememeber how long it was?

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Sad to say... W1 was one of my most FAVE games..... At first. It got really repetative. Never finished it. Bought 2..... I think it still may be shrinkwrapped in the closet.

Guess what I am going to do tonight? YUP..... Start at one. Anyoe rememeber how long it was?

As a completionist I think it took me 60 hrs last time I did it. You can probably shave some time off that though.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
As a completionist I think it took me 60 hrs last time I did it. You can probably shave some time off that though.

HOLY CRAP. to the net to find out main story line issues and how to nail each girl LOL....

60 hours. Maybe start with 2 LOL........

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
HOLY CRAP. to the net to find out main story line issues and how to nail each girl LOL....

60 hours. Maybe start with 2 LOL........

I was taking my time and trying to do everything. Don't worry, I'm sure you could get it done under 40 easy.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
A Gamescom closed door video was leaked earlier but CDPR clamped down on it very quickly.

One guy over at the Gaf quickly made some GIFs though:

ibsz6wPRsNGBpw.gif

iFNC1x1LYzbvS.gif

ibiFkWWS0kqPXW.gif

ile7quAlToCT7.gif

Hopefully the actual video surfaces again later on, and if I see it, I'll post a link.

Even from the GIFs though, you can see how detailed the World will be. The wind effects and forest foliage are very well done, and this was probably pre-alpha.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Witcher 3 confirmed to have native 64 bit client.

It's been rumored, but this is the first time I've seen a CDPR dev actually confirm it. Makes sense I suppose, as to realize their vision of an open World game with no loading screens or transitional areas would be extremely difficult to implement with 32 bit memory limitations.

They also explained why the fur tech demo was running so slowly. It was an extremely early version that was unrefined and un-optimized. The final version will be much faster and much better looking.

Also confirmed to use PhysX 3.x SDK.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
A Gamescom closed door video was leaked earlier but CDPR clamped down on it very quickly.

One guy over at the Gaf quickly made some GIFs though:

ibsz6wPRsNGBpw.gif

iFNC1x1LYzbvS.gif

ibiFkWWS0kqPXW.gif

ile7quAlToCT7.gif

Hopefully the actual video surfaces again later on, and if I see it, I'll post a link.

Even from the GIFs though, you can see how detailed the World will be. The wind effects and forest foliage are very well done, and this was probably pre-alpha.

It'll be interesting to see how much they have to tone it down to run on the XB1 and PS4. :/

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
It'll be interesting to see how much they have to tone it down to run on the XB1 and PS4. :/

They'll probably aim for high settings for the consoles at 1080p and 30 FPS (for the PS4), which should be doable with a few compromises here and there. Xbox One will probably run Witcher 3 at sub 1080p.

One thing we can say for sure is that the consoles will not be able to max out the PhysX effects as they have no hardware acceleration.

I expect very high and ultra settings to be PC only.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Oh no...will I have to buy a Nvidia graphics card to play this in all its glory? Rats...however, Witcher series is one of my all time favorite games,,,for TW3 I just might. Anyway, TW1 was not all that demanding on system resources, but TW3 probably will be, though hopefully it will be playable on mid range systems. (Not mine, but a lot of the market will be lost if the specs are too demanding).

I just hope they will allow key mapping by the player...this is one of my pet peeves in PC games. I do not understand why devs think everyone uses WASD!. STALKER series was great that way as was TW1. Anyway, can't wait for the release! Regardless, this is a must buy for me.

The Wife

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
That happened with the star wars mmo. Becoming a Jedi was nearly impossible in the original game that was shut off.

Yup, started out being super hard to get Jedi, you could also be hunted by other players, but it was super powerful as it was THE Alpha class. Then they changed the game and made it a starter profession with no death penalties...ruined the feel since every other person had a lightsaber.

I'd have a feeling the MMO would be the same way.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yup, started out being super hard to get Jedi, you could also be hunted by other players, but it was super powerful as it was THE Alpha class. Then they changed the game and made it a starter profession with no death penalties...ruined the feel since every other person had a lightsaber.

I'd have a feeling the MMO would be the same way.

Because nobody wanted to play a Star Wars MMO and not be a Jedi. 90% of the playerbase wanted to be a Jedi and only 1% actually could.