The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Because nobody wanted to play a Star Wars MMO and not be a Jedi. 90% of the playerbase wanted to be a Jedi and only 1% actually could.

Not true, I wanted to be a StormTrooper ;)

Make a game with a rare/awesome Race/Profession that kicks ass and everyone will want to be it. That goes against lore and a lot of people shit their pants over it.

More than 1% could be Jedi, just took time (6 months) and people didn't want to put forth the effort.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Not true, I wanted to be a StormTrooper ;)

Make a game with a rare/awesome Race/Profession that kicks ass and everyone will want to be it. That goes against lore and a lot of people shit their pants over it.

More than 1% could be Jedi, just took time (6 months) and people didn't want to put forth the effort.

Star Wars lore doesn't matter to most people. They want to be a Jedi regardless of how many should be around or how many people are actually force sensitive. I don't think it had anything to do with Jedi being the most powerful, more that they are simply the coolest.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I never played the Witcher series, but this sounds sick. I have Witcher 1 sitting on my self but never installed it. Should I go back and play it or is it outdated at this point?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I never played the Witcher series, but this sounds sick. I have Witcher 1 sitting on my self but never installed it. Should I go back and play it or is it outdated at this point?

The graphics won't be great and the combat isn't exactly fun, but the story itself is amazing. I'd recommend playing it and 2 before 3. Otherwise, you won't really understand the world and backstory of the characters.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
What kind of system specs will The Witcher 3 require ?

I just tried The Witcher 2 all at Ultra quality

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
What kind of system specs will The Witcher 3 require ?

They're targeting it to work on the XB1 and PS4, so system requirements will be fairly low. Provided you want to play at the console's 900p, medium details, and 30fps. ;)

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
iCmrf86S2aU1A.gif

i1rxnMMhGhEnO.gif

The_Witcher_in_numbers_info_EN.jpg

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I really wish they would offer an optional FP view (like Skyrim).

I realize it would be a lot of work to add it (new anims + rigging and all that), but the FP is just so much more immersive to me.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
:-(

I'm still on freakin' Oblivion. Once I finish that, then I can finish Skyrim, play ME2, Witcher 2, ME3 and THEN I can get this.

You and me both! Played ME2, probably will skip ME3...for now.I will say the Witcher series has become one of my favorite games of all time, even with the flaws in TW1. I am so looking forward to TW3 , I plan on buying a new vid card just to play it. Don't think my 7870 will cut it. Just wait and see what the specs are when they come out. :)

Of course the game was based on a series of novels, so for some background info see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher

I am very picky about what games I play and don't buy a lot, but the ones I do buy have to be worth spending a lot of time with and have replayability factors. Also, I want decent support from the companies that produce them, and CDPR goes above and beyond in that respect. IMO TES series only is so very playable thanks to the enhancements by the dedicated modders, not Bethesda.

Anyway, can't wait for TW3, but I guess I'll have to.:)

The Wife

monster88

Oct 30, 2012

I realize it would be a lot of work to add it (new anims + rigging and all that), but the FP is just so much more immersive to me.

meh, market is over-saturated with first person games as it is. i think there should be more quality third person games instead, like tw3

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
The only thing Bethesda is good at, is creating large, beautiful open-worlds. That's it. They suck at making actual games. Skyrim provided a huge, pretty environment, but everything else is just so arsed. I don't know how a game like Skyrim gets such high praise for having combat mechanics from the 90's.

If the witcher 3 rips verbatim the combat system from skyrim, I'd be happy.

the combat system is the one thing of the witcher series that I have consistently hated.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
meh, market is over-saturated with first person games as it is. i think there should be more quality third person games instead, like tw3

It's just a camera view - it doesn't have to change the game. There are several games that give you the option of switching from 3rd to 1st Person (Skyrim did it pretty well).

I just prefer to see the world the eyes of the character, and not like a little bird following from behind. It gives me the feeling that I'm observing the main character instead of actually being him. Just personal preference - but I appreciate when developers give you the option.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

booooo. First person sucks and is for mouth breathers, only. :)

plus--first person is absolutely wretched for mele action-based combat. completely terrible.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
plus--first person is absolutely wretched for mele action-based combat. completely terrible.

I think it's far more challenging. 3rd person basically gives you a "cheat" view of what's going on. You can see around corners, behind you, etc... ;)

The only annoying thing I could see about TW is that Geralt is like a pill-bug with all his sommersault evasions (if you choose to play that way, which it seems like most people do).

It would be perfectly fine with me if they completely got rid of that mechanic.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think it's far more challenging. 3rd person basically gives you a "cheat" view of what's going on. You can see around corners, behind you, etc... ;)

The only annoying thing I could see about TW is that Geralt is like a pill-bug with all his sommersault evasions (if you choose to play that way, which it seems like most people do).

It would be perfectly fine with me if they completely got rid of that mechanic.

But that's the Witcher and that is their combat design. You simply can't pull any of that off in first person. You wouldn't play the Batman games in First Person.

I find first person claustrophobic and nauseating. I only liked it, briefly, when the first Wolfenstein came out. Thought, this is unique. Hated Doom, never saw the appeal, never liked the play after that.

I think 3rd person is no less immersive--nothing natural about what those hands at the bottom of your screen are doing in these games. Designers have never gotten that right. It's more distracting to me.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
But that's the Witcher and that is their combat design. You simply can't pull any of that off in first person. You wouldn't play the Batman games in First Person.

I find first person claustrophobic and nauseating. I only liked it, briefly, when the first Wolfenstein came out. Thought, this is unique. Hated Doom, never saw the appeal, never liked the play after that.

I think 3rd person is no less immersive--nothing natural about what those hands at the bottom of your screen are doing in these games. Designers have never gotten that right. It's more distracting to me.

Well see...the dev could offer both options and make us both happy. :)

I'm one of those folks that loves the craziness of FP acrobatics though....huge Mirror's Edge fan. ;)