The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Good news! I suck at it!

In fact it's the first game that I ever had to stop playing to read the manual. I must have died about 20 times during the ballista mission and the one at the top of the castle. I'm probably not using the stuff properly. I do love the combat sequence though.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Hey guys, if you haven't played the game with bloom disabled, I highly recommend trying it..

The game looks much better without it imo! ;)

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
OK, so I'm no longer sure what cause the 1.2 patch to be delayed on Steam, as it just landed.

And it's 9 GB again.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
OK, so I'm no longer sure what cause the 1.2 patch to be delayed on Steam, as it just landed.

And it's 9 GB again.

Oh man, that stinks. I am truly sorry for your lots.

Fortunately for me, the patch actually downloaded while I was taking a nap, so I didn't even have to wait for anything. Although to be fair if I was still on my old DSL connection I would be pretty mad too.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
High fives all around for the worst patching implementation ever?I really like Steam as my game launching hub but this 9GB per patch is a really big let down.

This is a 70mb patch for others.

The only thing worse would be a patch that nukes the games.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Doesn't seem to be any point in getting angry about it this time. I've already beaten the game once, started a replay and stopped when I realized I wasn't actually enjoying it. Being unable to play a game for a couple of days doesn't seem so bad when I didn't plan on playing anyway.

This is more simple amazement that they could mess up this badly twice. They have to know there is a problem, and the game happily loads loose files. Using patch file dzips which get loaded after the main body the way Oblivion or the Fallouts do couldn't possibly have been that hard to implement - they've already got it loading the dzips, and they've already got the ability to override files.

Why on earth they'd choose to patch by replacing one large file again is mind boggling.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Hey guys, if you haven't played the game with bloom disabled, I highly recommend trying it..

The game looks much better without it imo! ;)

Yeah, I disabled it almost immediately after seeing how ridiculous it was.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I'll have to try turning off bloom. Notice any performance increase after disbling it?

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I gotta say that this game is friggen awsome. Sucks not being able to play due to the steam patch issues, but it reminds me that this is the first time in a very long time that i've enjoyed a PC gaming title this much. If developers can deliver game titles like The Witcher 2 instead of gravitating towards the EA/BioWare/Activision nightmare landscape, then i'll be a helluva a happy PC gamer in the coming years.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
Just finished the game, and despite the abrupt ending, it was one of the best games I've played in a long, long time. Going to start a second playthrough with Iorveth's path this time.

Graphics are outstanding; and it runs smoothly (40- 60 fps with very occasional dips to ~36 fps) on everything ultra, edit: in-game AA enabled, 16xAF, 4X transparency supersampling (in NV cpl), ubersampling disabled.

Apart from the lousy inventory system and map, I don't have any major bone to pick. Combat is excellent, locations and characters are memorable, and voice acting is decent. (The prophet at the Loc Muinne market square was hilarious the first time I heard his lines lol)

I can't wait for TW3. Given the way TW2 ended, I think we can safely assume that TW3 will be made..I just hope it doesn't take another 4 years :)

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'll have to try turning off bloom. Notice any performance increase after disbling it?

Nothing noticeable. I disabled it just because it was so fake and distracting. I've never liked the overdone bloom in most games. It's one of the worst graphical "advancements" that has been latched on to.

Just finished the game, and despite the abrupt ending, it was one of the best games I've played in a long, long time. Going to start a second playthrough with Iorveth's path this time.

Graphics are outstanding; and it runs smoothly (40- 60 fps with very occasional dips to ~36 fps) on everything ultra, 16xAF, 4X transparency supersampling (in NV cpl), ubersampling disabled.

Apart from the lousy inventory system and map, I don't have any major bone to pick. Combat is excellent, locations and characters are memorable, and voice acting is decent. (The prophet at the Loc Muinne market square was hilarious the first time I heard his lines lol)

I can't wait for TW3. Given the way TW2 ended, I think we can safely assume that TW3 will be made..I just hope it doesn't take another 4 years :)

They can take whatever time they need IMO. The four years was obviously well spent. The more you rush development, the more you risk forcing another DA2.

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
I agree that bloom doesn't look great, but i do like the few times that the light shafts get attention. They look really nice.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well..that was an interesting ending... Searching around for other endings didn't really seem to affect how the game ends [maybe it's too early to see all 16 endings?].

Luckily the game saves are different no matter what so I can go back to the save points in Chapter 3 and make different choices to see if they have any affect on the ending or not.

Definitely looking forward to TW3... :)

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
Hm any recs for video settings?

2500k/8gb/5770 1gb with 2550x1440 monitor.. I think latest drivers not 100% sure and this is the first ati card I've had heh... currently running at 1680x1050 on low.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

2500k/8gb/5770 1gb with 2550x1440 monitor.. I think latest drivers not 100% sure and this is the first ati card I've had heh... currently running at 1680x1050 on low.

the 5770 is your limiting factor. i run 1920x1080 on high with a 5770 and think it's fine.

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
the 5770 is your limiting factor. i run 1920x1080 on high with a 5770 and think it's fine.

Cheers.

Dóh, playing about with fans I'd set the fan to 20% manual control, this seems to limit graphics perfomance ! :D

Fixed now.. 1080p high settings running good.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Is there any way to actually check within Steam whether it's installing/downloading patches, and what your current version of the game is? It seems patch installations are completely "silent" in Steam..

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

The 5770 is not a very powerful card for gaming at your resolution. I would suggest a 6950 2GB (or better) as a good card if you plan to game at your native resolution.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
High fives all around for the worst patching implementation ever?I really like Steam as my game launching hub but this 9GB per patch is a really big let down.

This is a 70mb patch for others.

The only thing worse would be a patch that nukes the games.

This is why I love Steam, I didn't even know the patch was 9gb, I just come home and play, the game is already patched.

But I do agree, 9gb for 70mb is pretty poor.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Oh man. There's an "investigation" scene in Chapter 2 that's very similar to the autopsy scene from TW1. Love.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Ahhhhh, I'm so very happy with Witcher2, aside from some minor (but increasingly annoying) inventory/crafting gripes.

I'm still in Chapter 1, wandering around the forest stabbing everything in the face, and it's just so damn enjoyable.

Agreed on Bloom. I also dumped Motion Blur.

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
The 5770 is not a very powerful card for gaming at your resolution. I would suggest a 6950 2GB (or better) as a good card if you plan to game at your native resolution.

Yeah I know but I was down to low at 1600x1050 and still not going well. Thought some thing was wrong!

Dont set your fan to 20%, its anti clocking.. :D

Running at high /1080p now, wasnt expecting to run at 2550x144 with teh whizzies on.

matas

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2005
beat the game yesterday. very good and unpredictable story game. Played witcher 1 way back but didn't get into it. Should I go back and try to play it? need a game to play again..

Apr 28, 2010
beat the game yesterday. very good and unpredictable story game. Played witcher 1 way back but didn't get into it. Should I go back and try to play it? need a game to play again..

Finished both. Both great, but I personally thought the first was better.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
You know you've played Witcher too much when you read 'Social" on AT Forum as "Scoia'tael" D:

Also, I was disappointed that Geralt didn't "plough" Saskia :(

Last edited: