The Witcher 2 HANDS DOWN THE BEST LOOKING GAME ON PC TO DATE!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
plays well on my rig at medium settings at 1920x1080

great game, so far. one annoying thing is how every time you go through a door, it takes control away from you for a second. you don't just open the door, you click to pass through it.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Played it last night and with a single 5870 OC'd and an i7 @ 4.0 I was running on Ultra with everything except Uber Sampling on 1920x1200 and it looked great. The game play really good as well. I still can't get over how well done the armor is. Just watching the in-engine cutscenes are amazing. I only got about 2 hours into it, but it is really fun so far. The Hard setting is a bit tough at times when fighting multiple enemies. Reminds me a lot of Demon's Souls (yes console game, but amazing nonetheless).

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Had a wierd bug I figured I'd detail here.

I got TW2 on release day and was able to play the game. But I was experiencing a sound bug issue where dialog during cutscenes was jittery and it sounded like voices were doubled up or echoing. Played an hour or so like that before calling it a night. Then when I went to play yesterday, I suddenly started getting the launcher bug problem where the Witcher medallion just stays on the screen and you never load into the game. This is a common problem it seems so I had found posts on various forums with suggestions. Stuff like dropping the resolution, using the Nvidia beta drivers, and so on. None of that worked.

Finally, someone posted a file download of the GOG version of their witcher2.exe file just to give it a try. It goes into "the witcher 2\bin" directory. Well when I went there, I discovered I didn't even have that file in there! This is the Steam version too. As soon as I dropped it in, the game launched fine. No stuttering/echoing sound problem either. I'm pretty sure I never deleted that file or anything and I did perform several file integrity checks that always returned saying everything was normal.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Who cares? The Witcher 2 isn't Dragon Age 2. In fact it has nothing to do with it. Why are you even bringing this up? What does it have to do with the OP at all?

It actually has nothing to do with DA2; it was just a point of reference for a recent, memorable game, if I'd compared it to Higher Grounds or Killing Floor it wouldn't mean anything to hardly anyone. I think repeated waves of enemies are boring and tiresome, in some larger scale battles they fit the feel of the fight but the overwhelming majority of the time they're just throwing cannon fodder at you to drag it out or attempt to overwhelm you. Difficulty by sheer volume is realistic but there are a number of other ways I'd rather see a games difficulty scale.

The point was merely that people are pretty quick to take what was a crappy game mechanic in one title and suddenly label it a feature in another.

There is no irony. They are nothing alike. What you are saying is one game uses grenades, and the other game uses a snowball of cow dung, so why is one being criticized for using projectiles while the other isn't? That's a terrible argument.

You're getting caught up in the style instead of looking at the substance. Whether you throw a grenade or a pile of crap doesn't matter, what matters is how it relates to the game's balance. Intrinsically, there's nothing wrong with a projectile. Intrinsically, I think there's something wrong with difficulty by volume which is exactly what the 'wave' model reinforces.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Played it last night and with a single 5870 OC'd and an i7 @ 4.0 I was running on Ultra with everything except Uber Sampling on 1920x1200 and it looked great. The game play really good as well. I still can't get over how well done the armor is. Just watching the in-engine cutscenes are amazing. I only got about 2 hours into it, but it is really fun so far. The Hard setting is a bit tough at times when fighting multiple enemies. Reminds me a lot of Demon's Souls (yes console game, but amazing nonetheless).
Hi,was wondering what fps you are getting with those settings?,ive not started game yet due to work.also what is your 5870 oc?

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Hi,was wondering what fps you are getting with those settings?,ive not started game yet due to work.also what is your 5870 oc?

I was wondering the same thing. My stock 6870 is getting mid 20's at 1920x1080, I had to lower it to 1360x768 to play it smoothly on high detail and most options enabled. I wonder how much my E8400 CPU is holding it back.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Finally, someone posted a file download of the GOG version of their witcher2.exe file just to give it a try. It goes into "the witcher 2\bin" directory. Well when I went there, I discovered I didn't even have that file in there! This is the Steam version too. As soon as I dropped it in, the game launched fine. No stuttering/echoing sound problem either. I'm pretty sure I never deleted that file or anything and I did perform several file integrity checks that always returned saying everything was normal.

I dunno... Kinda seems unlikely you were playing this game without the "witcher2.exe" file.

Afterall it sounds like this is the main executable rather than something that simply impacts audio.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Is this game a good match for my rig? Or should I upgrade something?

i5-2500k @ 4.4 w/some dual 120mm fan tower heatpipe thing (runs ice cold)
Asus P67 Pro
8GB DDR3-1333 :(
2GB XFX 6950 (not the faster 'XXX' model)
1TB WD Black (whatever the newest one is)

Want to run at my Samsung's native 1920x1200

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011

Asus P67 Pro

I got everything you got, except I have an SSD, and a GTX 580. This game even brings my system down to its knees, Ultra settings, ubersampling off.

Also why the sad face about the ram?

terry107

Dec 8, 2005

Asus P67 Pro

Should be fine. I run at 1900x1200 on ultra with everything turned up except ubersampling and get between 30-40 fps.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I got everything you got, except I have an SSD, and a GTX 580. This game even brings my system down to its knees, Ultra settings, ubersampling off.

Also why the sad face about the ram?

I originally got some DDR3-2133 or something like that, but it was a 4gb pack, meant to get 8gb, ended up returning the faster ram and settling on the 1333. I don't guess it makes a huge difference, but it looks like the weakest link in my setup for now.

What resolution do you play at?

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
I originally got some DDR3-2133 or something like that, but it was a 4gb pack, meant to get 8gb, ended up returning the faster ram and settling on the 1333. I don't guess it makes a huge difference, but it looks like the weakest link in my setup for now.

What resolution do you play at?
Ram speed to my knowledge at this point in time, makes very little difference, unless your someone who eyes out every single decimal digit, 1333mhz is perfectly fine for now and the near future.

I run the game at 1920x1080 beautiful game, but I notice substantial drop in frame rates when entering new areas, and making quick turns at certain points.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Graphics helps bring in better realism and immersion into the game world, and a lot of game play elements also evolve around graphics improvement. Graphics is part of the equation of gameplay, the best game should have great game play with great graphics.

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
At home, I am running 2560x1600 under Ultra setting with my i920@3.5 + 2GB 6970
Very smooth without any stuttering

With XPS15 @1920x1080, 525m, 2630Q, 6GB, Med setting under autodetect, it is unplayable (under 10-15fps throughout).

tried brining down the resolution to 1600x900, still unplayable.
Under low setting, still same thing.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I dunno... Kinda seems unlikely you were playing this game without the "witcher2.exe" file.

Afterall it sounds like this is the main executable rather than something that simply impacts audio.

What probably happened, as this happened to me when I first attempted to run the game, was his AV deleted the .exe file. I had mine pop a warning about it wanting to access networks and such, which was strange because I downloaded it from Steam.

Also, I'll check my FPS when I get home.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
Has anyone here been able to game decently with ubersampling on? If so, what specs?

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
I am kinda bummed because I bought my XPS15 just for this game. I was going to play during my break at work :( I guess DoW retribution will be subing in.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Has anyone here been able to game decently with ubersampling on? If so, what specs?

Hah, maybe a Tri-Sli setup of GTX590 engineering samples, in a system cooled by liquid helium-2, with a system of quad Beckton 7560s @ 10ghz each :D

That might let you play at 1280x720 :p

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Just as you shouldn't assume a game is good because it has good graphics, you shouldn't assume it's bad for having good graphics either.