The Wire -- How long until I'm hooked?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
holy shit the article says he was shot 13 times when he was a youth. Slim was pretty bad ass on The Wire but I had no idea shit was that real for him.

he was also shot on stage while performing a byb show a few years ago.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
I am getting more and more impressed by how really good The Wire is. That from someone who doesn't like almost anything on TV. It really is something, this show

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Some where into the first it will start to get good but the second season is fucking crap. I suggest avoiding the second season. The rest of the show is great.
It only feels crap compared to the other seasons. Compared to the rest of tv, including some overhyped shows, it is very good

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
It only feels crap compared to the other seasons. Compared to the rest of tv, including some overhyped shows, it is very good

I concur.

Edit:
I am not saying this because I couldn't get enough of Ziggy's dick either.

Last edited:

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I watched six episodes of Game of Thrones and stopped. I watched three episodes of The Walking Dead and stopped. I watched three episodes of Breaking Bad and stopped.

If the series doesn't do anything for you, then just stop watching. You aren't going to agree on everything with everyone.

tesher

May 28, 2003
The Wire is definitely something that can take some getting used to. I liked it from the start, but i know plenty of people that didn't but ended up liking it when they stuck it out.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The Wire is definitely something that can take some getting used to. I liked it from the start, but i know plenty of people that didn't but ended up liking it when they stuck it out.

Yup it didn't catch me immediately. Breaking bad did. But I watched all of the wire and really enjoyed it. Finishing up the shield now and then I need to look for a new series.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
The Washington Post TV critic was asked which post 2000 show to watch by someone who did not watch any TV in that time. He named two. Breaking Bad and The Wire. Sounds right to me. Nothing else comes close

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
holy shit the article says he was shot 13 times when he was a youth. Slim was pretty bad ass on The Wire but I had no idea shit was that real for him.
The chick who played Snoop is a real-life gangsta, too. Pretty sure she actually did time for murder.

One scary bitch. D:

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Yup it didn't catch me immediately. Breaking bad did. But I watched all of the wire and really enjoyed it. Finishing up the shield now and then I need to look for a new series.

Oh, The Shield. Don't get me started on that masterpiece. I love the way it ends.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Oh, The Shield. Don't get me started on that masterpiece. I love the way it ends.

I'm 3 episodes from the end I can tell its winding down in an excited way. What series should I look for next?

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I'm 3 episodes from the end I can tell its winding down in an excited way. What series should I look for next?

You could switch it up and go for Weeds or Californication.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
What I liked about the The Wire, is there weren't clearcut "good guys" and "bad guys". The characters were complex, and had likable qualities, even if the whole person wasn't entirely likable. Much more realistic, and closer to reality.
The characters are very well defined. You have a feel for each one of them. That only happens very rarely in TV shows.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
By that, I meant the viewer has a good understanding of what each character is like. They are not wooden, blank sort of characters just uttering dialogues, as is the case in most of TV shows.

As for liking or not liking the characters, Kima is one I do not care for one bit.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I still need to watch the Shield. I hope it's on Amazon..

It should be. My friend had the seasons...all 7 of them so I borrowed each one until I got near the end. After this I'll need to check out other shows too. I rarely ever watch tv so finding good shows is nice because I'll have a reason to watch something if there isn't time to do anything else that day. The wire itself had some long episodes so I prefer those that are about 35-40 min a piece.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
The Wire just keeps getting better and now I am undecided that whether it is a better quality show than Breaking Bad.

I like Bunk's character more than McNulty. Seems more stylish

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You could switch it up and go for Weeds or Californication.

weeds gets really REALLY fucking stupid. i can't recommend that show to anyone. unless they stop like after season 4 or 5.

It should be. My friend had the seasons...all 7 of them so I borrowed each one until I got near the end. After this I'll need to check out other shows too. I rarely ever watch tv so finding good shows is nice because I'll have a reason to watch something if there isn't time to do anything else that day. The wire itself had some long episodes so I prefer those that are about 35-40 min a piece.

i picked up the full set on amazon a few months back for like $32. haven't re-watched it yet but it is one of my favorite shows for sure.

i'd recommend watching Sons of Anarchy for those who haven't seen it. there are 6 seasons finished already and season 7 (the final season) started 2 days ago. amazing show.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Those who are recommending The Shield. I've heard there is a lot of shaking camera stuff. Is it too bad?