The Wire -- How long until I'm hooked?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
It's been over 6 years since the show last aired. Besides, I don't think I'm giving too much away considering it wasn't a major aspect of the show.

I understand, but again, due to the nature of the thread o_O

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Still on season one. Third or fourth episode. Almost done the season.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I didn't like the Wire when I watched the 1st episode, but I'm glad I kept watching. It was an excellent series. I might start re-watching it with the wife.

Breaking Bad is still my favorite show.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
I started rewatching this because of the thread. This might be my sixth or seventh run through the series. It doesn't disappoint after repeat viewings.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Went through the entire series over the last month again and still enjoyed it.
4th opening is sh*t though. Awesome riff, but the vocals ruined it.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
I started watching it after reading some of the thoughtful posts on this thread a while back about this show.

I am nearing end of season one and have not liked a show as much since Breaking Bad. That includes some very over hyped shows. Some people said it the first few episodes are slow, but I found it interesting all the way.

It has depth and it is not a soap like Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire which eventually turned into a soap too. For Boardwalk, I should have known it would become overbearingly pretentious as well since it is Scorsese.

Will the Wire too end up something like that? I don't think it would. It has a very different feel to it from the very beginning. Something very substantial. There is a refreshing absence of filler scenes and characters (the hallmark of TV shows).

The characters have been established well and you get a feel for all the major ones. The writing is good. I can see why it has been rated as one of the best TV shows ever. Thank you all for suggesting this show.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
One of my favourite series of all time. I nearly cried when
Omar
was killed.

On the other hand I have not been able to get into The Shield. I'll have to give it another try.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Finished Season 1. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great show.

Yes it is not as exciting as Breaking Bad but that is because it is a lot more realistic, closer to life. Two very different types of shows.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
The Wire has the single funniest tv moment in history for me - the opening sequence from the first episode of season 5. I split my gut laughing at it every time, and show it to everyone that will let me.

Hmm, just guessing .. was that when Snoop went to Home Depot? I loved that one :D:D

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Finished Season 1. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great show.

Yes it is not as exciting as Breaking Bad but that is because it is a lot more realistic, closer to life. Two very different types of shows.

Having said that, cops present in plea discussion meetings with the defendant? So stupid. Not just present, but even calling the shots in the meetings. Double stupid.

At best, cops might get a meeting with the prosecutors, if they are lucky. That too is quite rare. But to have them present (even junior level ones) sitting across the table with the other side and calling the shots on what charges are acceptable, that is stuff of fantasy fiction or something.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Season 2 will be done tonight. 2 episodes left.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Having said that, cops present in plea discussion meetings with the defendant? So stupid. Not just present, but even calling the shots in the meetings. Double stupid.

At best, cops might get a meeting with the prosecutors, if they are lucky. That too is quite rare. But to have them present (even junior level ones) sitting across the table with the other side and calling the shots on what charges are acceptable, that is stuff of fantasy fiction or something.

Are you talking about the D'Angelo NJ scene? Or the one where the drug lawyer is negotiating with the cops and prosecutors after Kimma was shot?

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Are you talking about the D'Angelo NJ scene? Or the one where the drug lawyer is negotiating with the cops and prosecutors after Kimma was shot?
Other scenes too. They have had cops deciding things in each scene. Too many scenes like that.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Starting watching about a month ago. Finished season 3 last week but the wife is away on a conference.

SO HARD TO NOT KEEP WATCHING!

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Just finished episode 3 of season 3. So far I find the seasons start a little slow, but pick up around episode 4 or 5

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Hard pressed to come up with any TV show as good as The Wire. Breaking Bad is the only other one in that level of excellence, and that show took some time to ramp you up and reel you in as well.

The early seasons of the original Law & Order are also up there. Not much else has been near as good TV wise.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Hard pressed to come up with any TV show as good as The Wire. Breaking Bad is the only other one in that level of excellence, and that show took some time to ramp you up and reel you in as well.

The early seasons of the original Law & Order are also up there. Not much else has been near as good TV wise.

Is that the 1990 one? How many seasons are worth watching? Thanks