The Walking Dead Season 3... SUNDAY NIGHT!

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
I really thought that a Lori death would be a season finale type of death... and T-Dawg?!? I just watched it last night, sorry for the late entry.

But it's all senseless. Let's be honest, T-Dawg was a pointless character. He didn't really contribute from a content standpoint. Lori on the other hand, provided lots of drama and some story. I will admit, I was scared that TWD would jump the shark when Lori died.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
She was screwing Shane the day, or at least within 3 days, of finding out that Rick was dead. She could have at least waited till his body was cold before she started screwing his best friend.

What was the time period from when Shane left Rick and Rick woke up? It never seemed clear to me.

How long was Rick with the father and son?

It appeared to me that, when Rick showed up at Shane's camp, they had been there for some time.

MotionMan

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
So ... for those laughing at Rick's display of grief ... I was actually pretty impressed by that part. To be able to take two characters, one who I didn't really give a rat's ass about since he didn't really factor in since the very beginning, and the other who actively was annoying, and make me care about how they died was masterfully done. And to top it off with Rick's display really brought it together.

How unhinged would you be in that (albeit unlikely) scenario?

I'm an avid reader of the comics, and although the divergence between the comics and show widens, both are extremely well done. I absolutely love the comics. And I really, really enjoy the show. There is a shit-ton of source material to work with moving forwards and rotating through 'main' characters for quite some time yet.

I will agree with another poster here who mentioned the comic Andrea kicks major arse over the show Andrea ... but I think she has potential yet.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
What was the time period from when Shane left Rick and Rick woke up? It never seemed clear to me.

It appeared to me that, when Rick showed up at Shane's camp, they had been there for some time.

MotionMan

I think it was 3-4 weeks if I remember correctly. Things started to go to shit shortly after they left ... and eventually the hospital shut down ... and then Rick awoke. Then he still had several hundred miles to get to Atlanta.

Nov 29, 2006

MotionMan

I was under the impression Shane had been cheating with Rick's wife way before he was in the hospitol. The first episode seemed that way to me when they were talking in the car. Shane seemed nervious kind of like Rick knew about it.

I could be wrong but reading the body language that is what i came away with.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Shane always had a thing for Lori, but being good friends with Rick, never attempted anything.

I thought this episode was really well done. I am glad they are making big moments happen in non finale like episodes.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
he was the guy from the original prison group that Rick chased after killing the asshole white prisoner.

His name is "Andrew." He was the short, black prisoner that Rick locked out in the yard with the walkers. But I have some SERIOUS questions about his re-introduction:

A) Why did we hear Andrew screaming bloody murder as though he was being ripped apart by walkers when Rick closed the door?
B) How did he get through the fence and into the woods?
C) After 10 months in a prison cafeteria, how did he have the knowledge and wherewithal to find this dear trail and leave it as breadcrumbs into the prison? They didn't even know the world had been overrun! Suddenly he's Bear Grylls of zombieland?!?

It all seems too convenient as writing.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
His name is "Andrew." He was the short, black prisoner that Rick locked out in the yard with the walkers. But I have some SERIOUS questions about his re-introduction:

A) Why did we hear Andrew screaming bloody murder as though he was being ripped apart by walkers when Rick closed the door?
C) After 10 months in a prison cafeteria, how did he have the knowledge and wherewithal to find this dear trail and leave it as breadcrumbs into the prison? They didn't even know the world had been overrun! Suddenly he's Bear Grylls of zombieland?!?

Wait, you are trying to make sense out of fiction.
hehe

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
A) A zombie grabbed him, or he get cut by the razor wire going over the fence. Either could make a person scream.
B) He climbed the fence. There weren't that many zombies on the other side.
C) Maybe he just found a deer who died recently.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

He was freaked out? Not everyone is super studly like Rick and Crew.

Same hole everyone else came through? I am still a bit bothered by the fact they didn't check the gates around the place before cutting holes in the defense.

There's a chance he got out, ran away and then saw how jacked the world had become. Once he saw there was nothing left but zombies he decided to kill everyone in prison.

Yep..

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
That seriously had to be the stupidest episode of this show I've seen. I just couldn't get over how far off this one was. I couldn't help but feel the acting in the scene between Andrea and one hand hick was so bad that I kept wondering if they were mocking the script they were handed.

Lori's death was so laughable that I thought I had turned on Prison Break by mistake. Even Rick's reaction at learning what happened was almost parody.

I really hope it gets better next week.

Wow. I guess you have a shelf full of your Oscars and Emmys you won from acting writing and directing huh?

This has already been heralded by pretty much every single reviewer as the most potent and moving TWD episode of the series.. It was an amazing moving episode. and the reaction was incredible.. I'd sure like to see what you would do since you are such an accomplished actor...

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Wow. I guess you have a shelf full of your Oscars and Emmys you won from acting writing and directing huh?

This has already been heralded by pretty much every single reviewer as the most potent and moving TWD episode of the series.. It was an amazing moving episode. and the reaction was incredible.. I'd sure like to see what you would do since you are such an accomplished actor...

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings with my post. I was attempting to say what I had thought about the ep, but you're right. I didn't bother reading what everyone else had said about it, so I couldn't join the herd. In the future I'll attempt to do better, again sorry I hurt your feelings. wanna hug it out?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
ad hominem

This has already been heralded by pretty much every single reviewer as the most potent and moving TWD episode of the series...

So you read reviews for a show you are already watching? Why? How many did you read?

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
The Rick "noooo" scene seemed like an homage to the Darth Vader scene in how bad it was, I just had to lol

But meh, I dont think I will ever enjoy this show as much as the first season again... I remember I was glued and marathoned the 6 episodes in a row, then season 2 came and took a dump all over it

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But meh, I dont think I will ever enjoy this show as much as the first season again... I remember I was glued and marathoned the 6 episodes in a row, then season 2 came and took a dump all over it

I disagree, I watched seasons 1 and 2 on netflix, and I think that watching season 2 without delay really aided my appreciation for it. If you are waiting 7 days between episodes, yeah 43 minutes of mostly dialogue is pretty boring. But watching it in line, it is like a really long, really well written movie with depth. I probably would have gotten bored with it watching it live. Season 3 has much more action going on so that helps with the live viewings.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I disagree, I watched seasons 1 and 2 on netflix, and I think that watching season 2 without delay really aided my appreciation for it. If you are waiting 7 days between episodes, yeah 43 minutes of mostly dialogue is pretty boring. But watching it in line, it is like a really long, really well written movie with depth. I probably would have gotten bored with it watching it live. Season 3 has much more action going on so that helps with the live viewings.

What? I like the Daryl episode, and the bar scene, but most of the dialogue in season 2 ranged from weak to horribly awful.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I was under the impression Shane had been cheating with Rick's wife way before he was in the hospitol. The first episode seemed that way to me when they were talking in the car. Shane seemed nervious kind of like Rick knew about it.

I could be wrong but reading the body language that is what i came away with.

I don't recall 100% but I believe they both said it never happened until after.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
Some of the scenes in the first season were some of the best I've seen on TV.

The scene where the wife of the family where Rick holed up kept coming to the door and turning the knob slowly and the guy and his son avoided it until they couldn't any more was haunting.

Also, watching the webisode that gave background to the emaciated, torso zombie in the park also was haunting.

In both instances, you could tell that Frank Darabont probably played a key role in the direction of those scenes, then it went down hill from there.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
wow just watched episode 4. what a show! ricks reaction after finding out about his wifes death was spot on. this show is so much better then i thought it would be. bravo, amc! turning out to be by far the best zombie show ive ever seen. i love how anyone is allowed to die!

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
The Carl having to shoot his mom scene was convincing.

The Rick grief scene was terrific.