The saddest movie you've ever seen is...?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Other have already mentioned the ones I was going to list. But if I remember correctly, The Iron Giant was a pretty sad movie also.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
#1 The Deer Hunter
#2 The Sugarland Express (Stevey Spielberg's only good movie)
#3 Farewell My Concubine

Clint Eastwood has a nack for sad.

Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Heartbreak Ridge
Gran Torino
Million Dollar Baby
Letters from Iwo Jima

Others:

Amores Perros
Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet
The Seven Samurai
Life is Beautiful
Dog Day Afternoon
Saturday Night Fever
The Hustler
Boogie Nights (I thought parts of this film were incredibly sad)
Dead Poets Society
Awakenings
The Grapes of Wrath
Blade Runner
Antichrist
Children of Men
La Strada
The Vanishing
One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
Midnight Cowboy
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Boys Don't Cry
Spun (Mickey Rourke blows his Wrestler performance out of the water)
My Own Private Idaho
Sophie's Choice
Donnie Darko
The Last Picture Show
Captains Courageous
Six Degrees of Separation
Stalingrad
District 9

Your Kleenex bill must be astounding! :p

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Really? I thought the only thing sad about that movie was the fact that Clint cast that one horrible actress as the love interest. She couldn't act her way out of a paper sack. Didn't he marry her and give her some semblance of a career before she stabbed him in the back and took half his shit?

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
The first part of Up was pretty sad too. IMO the rest of the movie was just filler to justify charging people to watch it.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Really? I thought the only thing sad about that movie was the fact that Clint cast that one horrible actress as the love interest. She couldn't act her way out of a paper sack. Didn't he marry her and give her some semblance of a career before she stabbed him in the back and took half his shit?

The scene where redlegs and his guards burn down Josey's home and murder Joseys family is somewhat sad. Also, the double cross where they shoot all the reb pow's is a bit sad.... That said, I don't consider it one of the saddest films I'd seen. It's one of my favorites, though, I really don't like Sandra Locke, she did OK for that part, as the character was supposed to be kinda retarded IMO.

Saddest movie for me ... tough one ...
Perhaps one of these three...
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Ikiru
Cries and Whispers

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
The English Patient.
Everyone dies!!!! Nearly everyone.

Atonement.
Worst twist ending ever. You are thinking how nice it is that they get to be together and then they pull the rug out from under you! I was like "Damn!!! How can you do that!!!!"

LOL, I watched that in theaters with two friends. One guy, one gal. The girl and pretty much everyone else in the theater started crying at the end. Me and my guy friend looked at each other like, "why is everyone crying...?" I remember thinking, "What? What a crock of shit! You can't just make shit up like that."

Last edited:

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I tried to hide it when replying :( Sorry. It's still an incredible film you'll still love it.

thanks asshole, i haven't seen the movie. learn to spoiler tag.

saddest movie ive seen? good question.....i am not a bitch so I don't watch sad movies. lost in translation was probably the closest thing to a sad ending I can honestly remember.

Cowboy Bebop had a sad ending, only because it was only 24 episodes long =[

LOL - The Notebook movie is like 7 years old. If you haven't seen it by now you probably never will.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't think Crash is all that sad, but it has one of the most powerful scenes ever.

SPOILER LINK 1
SPOILER LINK 2

Bullets were blanks and the shooter had no idea.

wow forgot about that movie ... that movie definitely had me choked up quite a bit, i think i balled like a little baby at that first scene there.

EDIT:

nm on the edit.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
From the previews, I thought Marley and Me was gonna be a comedy since they showed ALL of the funny parts of the movie...

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Already been said, but Marley and Me and My Dog Skip. It's the damn dog movies that get me. I've never cried when people i know/family have died. But i have cried when my dog died. Same with movies I guess, don't care about people, but damnit the dogs get my heart....

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
The first movie that came to mind was Untamed Heart...I don't remember much about the movie, just that it had a sad story.

Schindler's List

Seven Pounds

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Watchmen-- Mostly since I wasted three hours of my live watching that crap.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Watchmen-- Mostly since I wasted three hours of my live watching that crap.

lol, I felt the same way about Superman Returns ... sooooooooo long and pointless. Matrix Revolutions was a pile of shit too.

$7-$9 movie ticket + $10 in concessions + 2-3 hours of life wasted = ffuuuuuu

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
if you don't think a movie about a little girl starving to death isn't sad, you have no soul.

Ugh, I freaking hated that movie. I was cheering for the disease by the end of it; damn annoying cartoon kid.

The ending of The Notebook was actually pretty sad, though I was not a huge fan of the movie. Dancer in the Dark is a good choice, but I may have to go with Deliver Us From Evil, which is a documentary, but still, cripplingly sad in parts. :(

KT