The real hero of the 507th.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
With a seemingly inherent aversion to speculation or bragging, the small-town Kansan has no doubt about what he did or did not do, how many he killed or wounded: "Seven in the mortar pit, one in the tree line, and I ran over one guy."

Looks like he's played BF1942 with jeeps :)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Looks like he's played BF1942 with jeeps

I thought the exact same thing when I read that part! Works for me!
Taking out the mortar crew like that, one pop at a time, damn - that guy's got sand. As much as I feel the gov'ment boys have screwed this up, it was nice to hear the Army replaced his wedding band.

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002
emmm, sorry to bust your senseless pride in the US Armed Forces, but I dont see any evidence of what he is claiming. This is almost the same kind of story that the Pentagon was floating in the media a few months ago about Ms. Lynch.

Apparently, Ms. Lynch, after being touted as a war hero, shooting down hordes of Iraqis, shot at, stabbed, kicked, tortured, and brought back from the dead by US soldiers raiding a well-armed hospital is now declared to be just butt-fcked, which also she does not recall.

What stories we believe.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Apparantly he was awarded the Silver Star, that should be easy for somebody like the L.A. times to verify.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
this guy has some serious balls

what bothers me the most is the malfunctioning of all the M-16
if the decisionmakers decide to send in the troops, they better make sure that the grunts have the right equipment

wtf ???

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
In one of those links above or another article, part of the blame of the jamming of the rifles was due to lack of maitenance. Now, I am just making some assumptions here but perhaps thsoe soldiers did not perfom as much maintenance on their weapons due to the fact that they did not expect to use them or perhaps they were issued older rifles. Also, remembering watching live war coverage on the news, there were some pretty mean sandstorms when the operation started. As far as I know the jamming issues of the M-16 was resolved a long while back, however when you have extreme sand storms that would probably still cause issues.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
emmm, sorry to bust your senseless pride in the US Armed Forces, but I dont see any evidence of what he is claiming. This is almost the same kind of story that the Pentagon was floating in the media a few months ago about Ms. Lynch.

emmm, no, actually, it's not. If you had bothered to read any of it you must have seen the commentary from other soldiers who were there. You seem to ignore the many explanations behind the Lynch incident, albeit there are details still left out in the open. Regardless, we can all feel perfectly secure in having pride in the US Armed Forces. If you choose not to, fine, but go be a smacktard troll elsewhere. With a handle like sultan, I can guess why you might be uptight over a 9:1 kill ratio in favor of the Americans.

The M-16 jamming issues were solved awhile back, in the form of using the correct type of gun powder and a chrome plated barrel. Having been in a number of ME sand storms myself though, I can see how they would fail. I'm sure the maintenance issues would have complicated that as well. Even a Kalashnikov will bust if abused enough and never cleaned out. I wonder how the Brits faired with their new issues...

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Sultan

Apparently, Ms. Lynch, after being touted as a war hero, shooting down hordes of Iraqis, shot at, sta!bed, kicked, tortured, and brought back from the dead by US soldiers raiding a well-armed hospital is now declared to be just butt-fcked, which also she does not recall.

What stories we believe.

If you read the article (and I've heard reports of this from other places), the Army did intercept radio transmissions of a blonde "woman" fighting heroically but now they think it was a blonde male soldier whose body they later found with bullet wounds and knife wounds.

You guys have got to remember that it was really frantic and hectic during the war and the Army was getting all sorts of confusing information. Remember 911 and all those reports of follow up hi-jackers? Turned out to be false. Was the media lying? Or was it just a confusing situation and know one knew what was going on?

Also, just because Lynch doesn't remember being raped, it doesn't mean it didn't happened or that the Army is lying. She could be blocking it out mentally because it was so tramatic or because she was unconcious when it happened. I've heard of lots of cases where the woman doesn't remember being raped because she was drugged. I guess if the woman doesn't remember it, it didn't happen, huh?

Our medics suspected she was rape because of physical evidence of trauma in a certain area of her body. The Iraqi doctors found no evidence of rape -- but they themselves said that they were not looking for any evidence of that sort. Our doctors did look for evidence of rape (because that is something we fear would happen to our female soldiers).

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles
As far as I know the jamming issues of the M-16 was resolved a long while back.

To my personal experience, they still jam.

I was at the fiering range this summer qualifying with the m16 and it jammed twice (in 40 shots). And we had just cleaned them extensively. And it was a nice sunny day, not raining or anything.

Also, when doing some drills with blanks, my m16 jammed a few times.

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
Hah, this is nothing. Finnish soldiers kept an army 25 times bigger out for a year until the germans came to our help. Once, when russians were attacking with 4000 men to a hill with 34 finnish soldiers, the fins killed 400 of them before the russian fled and at that point 4 of the fins were alive. Killing 7 iraqians in a bunker or something, seems easy to me compared to this. By the end of the war for every finnish soldier that died, died 10 russians, literally. Even a russian general said: "We conquered just enough land to bury our dead".

I also read a biography of a guy called "White Death", that guy killed 500 russians with his sniper rifle (consider the technoogy of the 40's) and another 500 with his machine gun until his chin was shot out... Died a few years back. This is not a lie...

Yes, this happenened a long time ago but still wanted to share it, to get you back to earth... Youre not the only one doing heroic things you know...

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Mardeth
Hah, this is nothing. Finnish soldiers kept an army 25 times bigger out for a year until the germans came to our help. Once, when russians were attacking with 4000 men to a hill with 34 finnish soldiers, the fins killed 400 of them before the russian fled and at that point 4 of the fins were alive. Killing 7 iraqians in a bunker or something, seems easy to me compared to this. By the end of the war for every finnish soldier that died, died 10 russians, literally. Even a russian general said: "We conquered just enough land to bury our dead".

I also read a biography of a guy called "White Death", that guy killed 500 russians with his sniper rifle (consider the technoogy of the 40's) and another 500 with his machine gun until his chin was shot out... Died a few years back. This is not a lie...

Yes, this happenened a long time ago but still wanted to share it, to get you back to earth... Youre not the only one doing heroic things you know...
But what have you done for me lately?

/snaps

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The Fins are masters of winter warfare, no doubt there. While I'll be one of the first to applaud their performance during the Russian invasion, it is important to note that the Fins were aided by a very severe winter, superior equipment, and their enemy's inability to deal with guerilla warfare. Many Russian soldiers simply froze to death. Harsh winters in northern latitudes have dealt many a humbling blow to the ambitions of generals and despots (Napolean and Hitler being the most noteable).

To be honest, I would expect nothing less of men fighting on their own turf in defense on their land, women, and children. Fighting on someone else's turf is the hard part. Praising a soldiers performance when he is outnumbered, surprised, and without properly working equipment is hardly having our heads in the clouds sward666. Not to start a pissing match, but if you want stories of heroism I'm sure I could find more than a few in all the wars and conflict the US has been involved in. You ever heard of Somalia? :)

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
That guy is a hero just like the guy that shot down that chinook is a hero.
Point is heros save lives, not kill a bunch of people... in this case he alledgedly killed a couple people then surrendered and annoyed his captors with a stupid song. That is no hero.
I hate the way the word hero is thrown around. It seems everyone and their dog is a "hero" these days.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

You're pathetic. Did you read the part about him saving the lives of his comrades by taking out the mortar team? Of course not, you're too busy being an ass by automatically rejecting any news or source that doesn't align with your beliefs. You resent the way 'hero' is used, yet you bestow it upon someone fighting for the Baathists and who is responsible for killing several soldiers.
Go flamebait somewhere else fvcktard.

:disgust:

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: kage69

You're pathetic. Did you read the part about him saving the lives of his comrades by taking out the mortar team? Of course not, you're too busy being an ass by automatically rejecting any news or source that doesn't align with your beliefs. You resent the way 'hero' is used, yet you bestow it upon someone fighting for the Baathists and who is responsible for killing several soldiers.
Go flamebait somewhere else fvcktard.

:disgust:

Neither are heros, according to my definition. Anyone with half a brain in their head would have understood the point I was trying to make. Quit your flag waving and think next time.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: VioletAura
Neither are heros, according to my definition. Anyone with half a brain in their head would have understood the point I was trying to make. Quit your flag waving and think next time.

You said: "Point is heros save lives, not kill a bunch of people."
Well, this guy did save a bunch of lives - by killing a bunch of the enemy. So by your definition - he's a hero.

So if he's a hero(by your definition) then according to the other part of your post the guy that shot down the chinook is a hero.

Care to try again?

CkG

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
"I told 'em my chew was candy. Two or three of them opened it up and started eating. Idiots," he said with a roll of his eyes. "They saw their breakfasts again."

hahah that's awesome :D

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
The Vietnam era jamming issues were mainly due to ammo loaded with "dirty" powder and a chamber that was not chrome lined. The ammo issue was rectified and we took a clue from the Soviet's and chromed the chamber.

My opinion is that most of the current jamming problems can be attributed to sh!tty magazines. I prefer the Israeli Orlite mags myself.

Remember, your weapon and accoutrement are manufactured by the lowest bidder.