The Raspberry Pi Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
If Rosetta is going to start assigning 2GB tasks regularly, I may have to start having 2 Rosetta tasks and 2 WCG tasks. That seems to annoy boinc Though, based on some testing with a 2GB pi.
Maybe you need another instance...

StefanR5R

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2016
With just 4 narrow cores per host, and not much RAM either (considering Rosetta's needs) it may be worthwhile to stick with 1 client instance per host. E.g. set the global CPU percentage to 50 %, define WCG applications as 0.01 % CPU users, set WCG's project_max_concurrent to 2, and use WCG's web config to limit its number of tasks in progress so as not to end up with a weeks deep work buffer.

(That's assuming the boinc annoyance which @Endgame124 referred to was about the client's local scheduling decisions.)

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
With just 4 narrow cores per host, and not much RAM either (considering Rosetta's needs) it may be worthwhile to stick with 1 client instance per host. E.g. set the global CPU percentage to 50 %, define WCG applications as 0.01 % CPU users, set WCG's project_max_concurrent to 2, and use WCG's web config to limit its number of tasks in progress so as not to end up with a weeks deep work buffer.

(That's assuming the boinc annoyance which @Endgame124 referred to was about the client's local scheduling decisions.)
I thought it was the local scheduler that was the problem when I wrote the post - my 2GB pi was set via appconfig.xml to run 2 Rosetta tasks and 2 WCG tasks, but only WCG was running. Turns out, the problem was that Rosetta ran out of Tasks. I see that Rosetta has started sending tasks out again, so I’ll check on the host in the morning and see what it’s doing.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I moved all of my pis to using swap over NFS using a loop device, thinking this has got to be a better solution than swapn on a local micro sd card. That said, I have one of them that is trying to swap over NFS and it keep hanging, so it really may not be the best idea ever. Perhaps I need to see if I can mount it in a different way...

Since I had to reboot all 8 pis, and I had a few minutes to do some testing, I switched all 8 to maximum power saving mode - over_volt -2, clockspeed 1525mhz. Combined, all 8 Pis pull 36 watts, including losses from the power supplies (based on the touch test, the Anker power supply is more efficient). That makes them 4.5 watts each, which isn't as good as I was thinking it would be from testing with a single Pi - its about 244 Credits / watt in Rosetta. Perhaps a single large system really is the way to go - similar performance per watt with substantially less system management.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
A few more power saving options I've found digging around the official pi forum.

#Disable Ethernet LEDs:
dtparam=eth_led0=4
dtparam=eth_led1=4

# Disable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack (comment existing line)
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

#disable hdmi frambuffer (does not appear to be covered by tvservice --off)
max_framebuffers=0

#disable audio (minimal power saving, but frees up memory)
dtparam=audio=off

ASK THE COMMUNITY