The "Race Card" Gets Played

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I go over to Fox to hunt up some video for another thread and look what I find:

Link

(Excerpts)

John McCain?s campaign on Thursday accused Barack Obama of ?playing the race card? one day earlier, when the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee told voters that Republicans will try to scare them by saying he doesn?t look like ?all those other presidents on the dollar bills.?

McCain campaign manager Rick Davis issued a statement saying that Obama ?played the race card, and he played it from the bottom of the deck? when he told voters Wednesday that McCain will try to scare them into rejecting him. Davis called Obama?s remarks ?divisive, negative, shameful and wrong.?

Obama, who will be the first black presidential nominee from a major party, was asked by a reporter Wednesday at a rally in Missouri to respond to growing criticism that he has become presumptuous about the November election and is acting prematurely presidential.

Obama replied that McCain and President Bush have little else to offer voters than scare tactics to maintain the GOP?s hold on the White House.

?Nobody thinks that Bush and McCain have a real answer to the challenges we face. So what they?re going to try to do is make you scared of me,? Obama said. ?You know, ?he?s not patriotic enough, he?s got a funny name,? you know, ?he doesn?t look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills.??

?What Barack Obama was talking about was that he didn?t get here after spending decades in Washington,? Gibbs said. ?There is nothing more to this than the fact that he was describing that he was new to the political scene. He was referring to the fact that he didn?t come into the race with the history of others. It is not about race.?

This looks to be my day to anger 99% of P&N ;)

I gotta say the excuse Obama campaign oficial Gibbs offers is utter bullsh!t.

Hehe, Obama has more experience than George Washington -who is actually on the $ bill. I'm pretty sure he has more Lincoln too.

Come on, he was referring to race. Sheesh. :roll:

Fern

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
the excuse is bullsh!t. Obama knew it would get played like a race issue, its obvious.

But are we counting on McCain's campaign to prove him wrong? if so, then that will only help Obama in places like W VA... :)

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
So you say it because McCain said it? Obama's been saying this for months and its fucking true. Hell, the Republican smear campaign has tried to protray (sic?) his wife as a black militant; there have been rumors that he's a muslim; they've tried to say that he isn't an American citizen; they've tried to say that he was schooled in a madrassah; they've claimed that his middle name is really Muhammed; and they've said he isn't patriotic.

He isn't one of us seems to be the main message behind all these smears and people like you are SHOCKED! SHOCKED! that he would say the obvious?:roll:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Fern, you know it will be eaten like candy by the Obama faithful, even used as a McCain deriding point.

It's amazingly funny to watch/listen to the crazed Obamanaughts drink up the Obama koolaid, especially since they're largely the same ones as accusing others of drinking Bush kookaid.

Can't wait for Obama to get elected and clear Dem. majority in the Senate...then we can see the excuses start piling up in here hand over fist on why they will - and they absolutely will be - total failures at correcting any real issues we face today.

It's gonna be fun!

Chuck

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: chucky2
Fern, you know it will be eaten like candy by the Obama faithful, even used as a McCain deriding point.

It's amazingly funny to watch/listen to the crazed Obamanaughts drink up the Obama koolaid, especially since they're they're largely the same ones as accusing others of drinking Bush kookaid.

Can't wait for Obama to get elected and clear Dem. majority in the Senate...then we can see the excuses start piling up in here hand over fist on why they will - and they absolutely will be - total failures at correcting any real issues we face today.

It's gonna be fun!

Chuck

See my post above.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: Dari
So you say it because McCain said it? Obama's been saying this for months and its fucking true. Hell, the Republican smear campaign has tried to protray (sic?) his wife as a black militant; there have been rumors that he's a muslim; they've tried to say that he isn't an American citizen; they've tried to say that he was schooled in a madrassah; they've claimed that his middle name is really Muhammed; and they've said he isn't patriotic.

He isn't one of us seems to be the main message behind all these smears and people like you are SHOCKED! SHOCKED! that he would say the obvious?:roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBlBIAt4YZA

Your hero, your previous Messiah

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

It's amazingly funny to watch/listen to the crazed Obamanaughts drink up the Obama koolaid, especially since they're largely the same ones as accusing others of drinking Bush kookaid.

It's gonna be fun!

Chuck

I shoud thank you for sharing the koolaid you've been drinking for the past 8 years!

cheers!! :beer:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

But McCain hasn't, and up til now he's denounced that sort of thing.

I wonder if this *pre-emptive complaint* by the Obama campaign about McCain signals that the gloves will coming off?

I mean h3ll, if you're be getting the criticism for doing something, might as well go ahead and do it if you think you'll get a benefit. You're already getting criticism/blame, what do you have to lose?

Edit: The difference in the Obama campaign vs. here and in the primary is remarkable to me.

Fern

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: TechAZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBlBIAt4YZA

Your hero, your previous Messiah

Messiah? You must be the shitstain I saw today at IHOP.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-

I wonder if this *pre-emptive complaint* by the Obama campaign about McCain signals that the gloves will coming off?

I mean h3ll, if you're be getting the criticism for doing something, might as well go ahead and do it if you think you'll get a benefit. You're already getting criticism/blame, what do you have to lose?

Fern

Like I said, he's said it before and Republicans have been very aggressive with the smear about his race and religion. Whether or not they're related to the McCain campaign is besides the point because they can always deny it. But I'm sure you're SHOCKED! SHOCKED! that Obama would say such a thing:roll: I mean, where could he have gotten the idea?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

It's gonna be fun!

Chuck

They have already pulled this one and expect it to last Obama's entire term of failures.

"Republicans and Bush fucked it up so much Obama cant fix it".

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
-snip-

Fern

Like I said, he's said it before and Republicans have been very aggressive with the smear about his race and religion. Whether or not they're related to the McCain campaign is besides the point because they can always deny it. But I'm sure you're SHOCKED! SHOCKED! that Obama would say such a thing:roll: I mean, where could he have gotten the idea?

Rev. Wright?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ChrisFromNJ
OMG Obama told the truth somebody hang him!

Then why the, ahem, lame lie that he just means "he hasn't spent decades in Washington DC"?

Fern

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
-snip-

Fern

Rev. Wright?

Riight. The racist preacher who's never said anything racist. Got it. For a second there, I thought it would be the emails making wild claims. I guess I was wrong.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
(snip)

It's gonna be fun!

Chuck

Unfortunately you're probably correct given the mess the (R)'s have made of this country under their reign.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
mccain is just jealous because he's only playing with half a deck...

when barry's with his homies he just lets his hair down a bit too much sometimes...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Then why the, ahem, lame lie that he just means "he hasn't spent decades in Washington DC"?

Fern

Because such an accusation requires a response, and if you're trying to avoid 'playing the race card', then to point out something such as that... plays the race card even more.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Edit: The difference in the Obama campaign vs. here and in the primary is remarkable to me.

Fern

McCain's camp has already tried to use Obama's popularity against him by comparing him to Paris and Brittany. IMO you can't go any lower than that. Well, maybe Amy Winehouse, but he wouldn't stoop to that level, would he? :laugh:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

True or not, anyone who denies what Obama meant, including his own spokespeople, are being willfully obtuse. Obama was NOT referring to being a washington outsider. That's a laughable spin.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Rev. Wright?

Riight. The racist preacher who's never said anything racist. Got it. For a second there, I thought it would be the emails making wild claims. I guess I was wrong.

Hmmm... Seems to me I've heard about some Hillary campaign staffers sending those around.

Maybe Obama pre-emptively blamed the wrong person here? ;)

Fern

Aug 23, 2000
-snip-

Fern

And Dems haven't been aggressive in trying to say McCain is not a natural born citizen because his active duty parents had him at a military base outside of the US. They don't say he's old and that he's McSame as Bush.
Both sides are going to play dirty, just this time the supporters of Obama don't want to see the truth. They want their superstar to win.