The Official Wii U launch thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So what does that tell us? Tablets and smartphones are indeed starting to cannibalize conventional gaming. Though whether parents will buy their kids a $500+ tablet or phone is a whole different story. Mind you, stronger interest in personal computers is part of what led to the crash of '83. Parents are more willing to spend the money if it can be used for educational purposes. It should hold Sony and Microsoft's feet to the coals a bit. I expect we'll be seeing working prototypes of Durango and Orbis at CES in January. I'd actually be very surprised if we don't. Final versions likely on sale by this time next year.

I think one interesting difference is that while a tablet has a higher entry cost, it's typically far cheaper in the long run. Games are usually only $1-5, and if you wait long enough, they almost always drop to free for a few days. I may have 400+ apps in iTunes, but I bet I didn't pay anything for probably 60-70% of them.

Of course, it's worth mentioning that these games aren't AAA titles by any stretch of the imagination. So, they aren't going to beat out your Halo 4 or Assassin's Creed III for the overall experience, but they're more than sufficient enough. However, all of this does make me wonder how long the portable market will last. One interesting thing on those charts was that more kids want a PSP than a Vita, which isn't a good thing for Sony. The Vita received a bit of flak in its Assassin's Creed III: Liberation review from the fact that the game suffered slowdowns (I haven't gotten around to playing it yet to see how bad it is). Will the newer mobile devices help usher the Vita into obsolescence faster? The Vita is using hardware similar to the iPad 3 (except quad-core CPU instead of dual-core), and that's already been replaced.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think a lot of people confuse a PSP and a vita anyway. People call my vita a PSP all the time lol

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Obviously tablets are punching into the console gaming arena, esp iPad. Being able to play games at retina resolutions (better than 1080p), move back and forth from portable to the TV, the huge game library with instant gratification of a download, plus the relatively instant load times compared to Xbox / PS3. It all adds up.

The Wii U controller is nothing more than another tablet, just with game controls.

Main thing the consoles have going right now are the controllers made for gaming. Tablets have an awful UI for most games. Maybe Nintendo has addressed that with their controller, I guess time will tell.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Obviously tablets are punching into the console gaming arena, esp iPad. Being able to play games at retina resolutions (better than 1080p), move back and forth from portable to the TV, the huge game library with instant gratification of a download, plus the relatively instant load times compared to Xbox / PS3. It all adds up.

The Wii U controller is nothing more than another tablet, just with game controls.

Main thing the consoles have going right now are the controllers made for gaming. Tablets have an awful UI for most games. Maybe Nintendo has addressed that with their controller, I guess time will tell.

i don't quite think you understand what the buzzword "retina" means.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hmm yeah nintendo is dieing with the wii u. only sold 400k units the first week...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/11/14/nintendo-wii-u-sales-to-exceed-predecessor/

+ Comment now
Nintendo’s (OTC: NTDOY) latest console, Wii U, is expected to outperform its predecessor when it is released on November 18.

IHS (NYSE: IHS) researchers estimate that global sales of the new console will reach 3.5 million units by the end of December 2012. The original Wii sold 3.1 million units during the same period when it was released in November 2006.

..wait..nvm

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
hmm yeah nintendo is dieing with the wii u. only sold 400k units the first week...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/11/14/nintendo-wii-u-sales-to-exceed-predecessor/

+ Comment now
Nintendo’s (OTC: NTDOY) latest console, Wii U, is expected to outperform its predecessor when it is released on November 18.

IHS (NYSE: IHS) researchers estimate that global sales of the new console will reach 3.5 million units by the end of December 2012. The original Wii sold 3.1 million units during the same period when it was released in November 2006.

..wait..nvm

You've got to wonder how many of those are resellers though. I want to see what kind of innovation devs can bring using the tablet. They should do something to help out indie devs because there's definitely possibilities. I mean there's tons of tablet games and a lot of them are crap.

This one's different though because you've got some power behind the device and there's actualy physical controls on the device. I hate the tablet games that use the screen as an input device. Trying to play Assassin's creed on the tablet was a nightmare.

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
Maybe Nintendo did this at the right time. A lot of people are wanting a new console, something to get excited about, and it is coming in at a pretty good price point. At the end of the day, it may die off like the Wii did once the new generation comes out and they are left behind by 3rd party developers, but right now it is something that some people can get excited about.

juiio

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2000

+ Comment now

..wait..nvm

That article is from before the Wii U even launched.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Just from NintendoLand you can already see a lot of unique uses for the tablet, sepcifically in local co-op (often asymmetrical). I am more excited about that than I ever was for the waggly wiimotes. Touch screen/tablet based gameplay is a lot more precise and useful than motion controls.

I don't know how the system will sell, since Nintendo has done a terrible job both marketing and explaining what the Wii U is (at least in the US), but if I get my Pikmin, AC, Mario, Zelda, SSB, Bayonetta 2 and whatnot then I'll be happy and already own more games than I do for the 360.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
can you give some examples?

Sure. Just from NintendoLand..

One useful thing about the tablet is that with local 2-player co-op you may not need to split screens.

For example, there is a Pikmin game where the tablet holder is Captain Olimar and any additional wii-mote users are Pikmin. Olimar gets the tablet screen and pikmin get the TV. This means no screen splitting for 2 players. The touch screen functionality makes throwing Pikmin super easy and precise, since you just tap where you want to throw them.

There is also a Zelda-themed game where the tablet user in an archer and additional wiimote players are swordsman. Again, with 2 player there is no screen splitting. The tablet controller makes aiming pretty easy using gyro controler, which I prefer over aiming with the wiimote.

There is a competitive game that takes place in an arena where the tablet player has to avoid all the wiimote users chasing him. The asymmetrical is key here, as the tablet user can see the whole arena (giving him needed info to avoid 4 other players) while wiimote users have a camera focused on their immediate vicinity.

These are just a few examples, but I hope they give you some insight.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
And here come the fights over who gets the tablet...

Lol I could see that. It's like fighting over who gets to be Player 1, but taking to the extreme.

Thankfully, the asymmetricality doesn't make one controller better than the other: they both just serve different roles. Hopefully people are happy either with their disparate roles or with taking turns.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
That article is from before the Wii U even launched.

He botched the link, but there's a front page google news tech section (multiple articles) stating that the Wii U sold 400k units. Also of note, the Wii apparently sold almost 400k as well.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
He botched the link, but there's a front page google news tech section (multiple articles) stating that the Wii U sold 400k units. Also of note, the Wii apparently sold almost 400k as well.

I sure did.

and yes the one i thought i had mentioned that they sold 400k units and people still want it.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
You've got to wonder how many of those are resellers though. I want to see what kind of innovation devs can bring using the tablet. They should do something to help out indie devs because there's definitely possibilities. I mean there's tons of tablet games and a lot of them are crap.

This one's different though because you've got some power behind the device and there's actualy physical controls on the device. I hate the tablet games that use the screen as an input device. Trying to play Assassin's creed on the tablet was a nightmare.

From what I've read, the WiiU is the most friendly console out right now for indie devs. They can set their own price and don't charge for updates to their game.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
From what I've read, the WiiU is the most friendly console out right now for indie devs. They can set their own price and don't charge for updates to their game.

If WIIU turns into an indie wet dream, then you can count me in and Nintendo can have my wallet.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
If WIIU turns into an indie wet dream, then you can count me in and Nintendo can have my wallet.

agreed. IF indies can produce a ton then i might get in on it. Right now i'm not impressed with what the Wii has. I loved mario galaxy but nothing else got my attention.

wich is why i'm passing on teh wiiu (first nintendo system i have passed on)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

There's maybe one indie game that I've found worth my time so honestly they can give me the Wiiu for free but without Zelda and 3D Mario I would just sell it.

I don't understand the fascination with indie games. I find most of them suck.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Well, look on the bright side. If the Wii U crashes and burns, like it looks it will

...I don't understand. I really just don't get it. Both you and cmdrdredd, yes this is a callout post. You guys boggle the utter shit out of my mind.

Do you guys research? Do you do any sort of collection of facts before posting your inane comments on this forum? Do you understand video games are an industry? The companies run a business?

BD2003, exactly what indications do you see of Nintendo going out-of-fucking-business? Do you think the Wii-U won't sell well? Do you think everyone thinks like you, likes exactly what you like, and games the way you game? Is it your past memories with SEGA and ATARI that make you think a single commerical failure can render the 3rd largest Japanese comapny to go belly up? Nintendo has had a lot of commercial failures in the past already - VirtualBoy, Nintendo64, the Gamecube, etc. A good company does not put all of its eggs in one basket; they are not SEGA.

Then cmdrdredd comes in with his words of wisdom:

It also helps that Xbox Live is the best online experience for consoles.

Do you get paid for this? Helps what? Helps you sleep better at night?

I don't think Microsoft is worried after Halo 4 made them $220mil in 24 hours

Who the hell even insinuated they were 'worried'? What are you, a child? Is the big-bad Wii-U a threat to your masculinity that you have to become defensive of your Xbox?

Hell, and I suppose you know what Microsoft is worried about? I suppose you looked at their balance sheets and profit margins; I suppose you took into account their Windows 8 endeavor, their newly constructed 'App Store' and imagined screaming executives in very important meetings but everyone gets calmed down by some gamer who exclaims, "DON'T FRET GUYS!" Halo 4 made a ton of money!"

Gaming is Microsoft's core business, right? Everyone knows this.

I suppose you also know what Sony is worried about? How about the fact that they are in 4 or 5 businesses somewhat tied to technology and floundering in each? Nintendo's market cap is over 85 billion dollars (and all they do is sell video games) while Sony is less than half that and they have multilegged businesses to keep afloat. Hell, the 3DS is outselling the Vita in Japan 47 to 1.

Seriously...don't like the system? GTFO of the thread. Pulling apocalyptic nonsense out of your asses isn't going to make your standpoint sound any more credible. I'm really glad you like your 360 and Vita dredd, that's wonderful. But you're turning into an Apple-like fan, you can't shut the hell up about it.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I'm going to wait for tax season to get mine. Looking forward to Pikmin 3 and my wife will LOVE Bayonetta 2. I am also looking forward to some cheat free shooter gaming for the first time in years, hopefully.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
$40k per patch is a pretty big difference.

The article states that it follows closer to Steam and Apple than MS or Sony. Trine 2 developer was raving about it, and he has experience on a lot of platforms.

It's been discussed before that MS allows 2 free patches before charging. The thought being that if it takes you more than 2 patches to fix something then you need more incentive. There was some indie game recently that had a huge bug that was introduced in the final free patch, and the devs posted a sob story about how they won't be able to fix it again because of the "absurd cost" of doing so. Not many felt sorry for them after they found out they introduced this bug on their own with the latest patch, and that they have a couple free chances to fix things.