The Official Wii U launch thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
I guess every person in this thread bought a Wii U and is dissatisfied with it, OR they might just be letting specs and graphic ability make up their minds and they don't own one. Let yourself have fun once in a while guys, play a game that isn't visually stunning and relax. What ever happened to playing a game for fun, not gun upgrades and visuals that have more bump mapping. If it weren't for nintendo, the gaming world would be vastly different. All the B&Cs I am hearing about the touchpad are crazy. Its not that much heavier than a 360 controller and it feels very similar too a dreamcast pad. I will let you guys duke it out over how good the xbox 720 and PS4 will be, if sony is even around then and not tits up broke. While you get upset the few who remember how to enjoy games for being games will be gobbling up shrooms and smashing goombas.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I guess every person in this thread bought a Wii U and is dissatisfied with it, OR they might just be letting specs and graphic ability make up their minds and they don't own one. Let yourself have fun once in a while guys, play a game that isn't visually stunning and relax. What ever happened to playing a game for fun, not gun upgrades and visuals that have more bump mapping. If it weren't for nintendo, the gaming world would be vastly different. All the B&Cs I am hearing about the touchpad are crazy. Its not that much heavier than a 360 controller and it feels very similar too a dreamcast pad. I will let you guys duke it out over how good the xbox 720 and PS4 will be, if sony is even around then and not tits up broke. While you get upset the few who remember how to enjoy games for being games will be gobbling up shrooms and smashing goombas.

i actually played super stardust hd on my new projector on the 120" screen i put out just to see how games felt on it. i don't have sound yet which sucks but i just wanted to see how gaming on it is. i ended up playing it for about 30 minutes.

that was this past sunday, so it was a couple days ago that i played a game which you are asking us to play.

you are insane if you think the wii u tab is similar to a dreamcast controller. that is just 100% false. its about double-triple the width, has 2 analog sticks, oh yea, and a huge fucking touchpad screen in the middle of it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't own one, but I did get a chance to mess around with it in Gamestop today. Unfortunately, the only game that had a demo was Rayman Legends, which I didn't care for much. I've played Origins, but Legends feels too much like Sonic and not enough like Rayman -- in other words, you just keep running all the time rather than worry about platforming and collectin' those bug thingers.

Anyway, one of the hardest things for me at first? Learning to ignore the tablet's screen. For awhile, it was just mirroring the content, and I kept wanting to look down as it reminded me a lot of a Vita... and buying a game for that was the reason I was at Gamestop to begin with. :p The biggest bummer was just the demo disc that they had. I really wish it had a demo for the Mario game on it. :(

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Curious, what makes a game an "adult game" vs a "kids game"? Do guns, grenades, and blood automatically make something an adult game? Is Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger a kid's game or adult game? Is Ocarina of Time an adult game or a kid's game? etc.
Pretty much,yep.
I'm not impressed with Kinect. Everyone I know who has one just sit around like idiots shouting XBOX! 15 times to do a simple task I could have done in a nano second pressing a button. There is rarely ever a 1 to 1 correlation with movement either, might as well be a Sega Activator where flailing in front of a beam substitutes for the same simple action as a button press.

Likewise I hate the Wii controls as well. Shaking the controller to do things like fly in Mario for example. Sometimes it doesn't register and you die. Rather press a button for 100% execution rate. I hate gimmicks that interfere with gameplay.
This is the main reason I absolutely HATE the Wii. Every time I've played it it's been like that dream where you're trying to run but you're unable to move properly, an absolutely awful experience. And I watch other people use it seemingly oblivious and it's like I'm in the Twilight Zone because to me it was so laggy, so totally unusable, but others play along blissfully unaware of how imprecise the controls are. And the only Kinect I've played is at best buy and I found the same thing. A crap gimmick.
While you get upset the few who remember how to enjoy games for being games will be gobbling up shrooms and smashing goombas.
I wish I did, but I honestly just do not find this fun anymore, no more fun than playing with transformers toys.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Pretty much,yep

It's "adult" in the same way that if I say "f*ck f*ck sh*t f*ck!!" at the top of my lungs, I'm using "adult language".

It's not.

It's more accurately, "stuff kids shouldn't say/do, which makes it more appealing to them" but that doesn't fit as easily on a ESRB rating as "Mature" does. But it's no more mature or requires no higher thinking than the Tourette's Guy.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
It's "adult" in the same way that if I say "f*ck f*ck sh*t f*ck!!" at the top of my lungs, I'm using "adult language".

It's not.

It's more accurately, "stuff kids shouldn't say/do, which makes it more appealing to them" but that doesn't fit as easily on a ESRB rating as "Mature" does. But it's no more mature or requires no higher thinking than the Tourette's Guy.
That's fine; I'm ok with being a child in an adult's body, but at the end of the day I don't want cartooney action. It's obvious that games like Mario bias toward a young audience and shooters an older one.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I'm not impressed with Kinect. Everyone I know who has one just sit around like idiots shouting XBOX! 15 times to do a simple task I could have done in a nano second pressing a button. There is rarely ever a 1 to 1 correlation with movement either, might as well be a Sega Activator where flailing in front of a beam substitutes for the same simple action as a button press.

There's nothing wrong with Kinect games, some of them are quite fun. Nobody I know wastes time with those stupid voice controls. As you point out, they are pretty much a useless gimmick.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I disagree that mario was a "kids" game. sure there are bright colors and kind cartoony action.

but it also has a lot adults/teens like. it has tons of hidden (and hard) things to do, the latter levels get difficult.

I really enjoyed mario galaxy and "new" super mario brothers. I don't consider them kids games though.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

People are asking themselves what the Wii U can/will do that the other consoles can't....and that answer isn't clear. There's a huge cost associated with buying and integrating a new console - it needs to be significantly better than what you already have, or have a killer app. Right now, its failing on both counts.

If someone gave me a free Wii U, I might buy NSMBU. But I'm not spending 400+ dollars for it.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
i actually played super stardust hd on my new projector on the 120" screen i put out just to see how games felt on it. i don't have sound yet which sucks but i just wanted to see how gaming on it is. i ended up playing it for about 30 minutes.

that was this past sunday, so it was a couple days ago that i played a game which you are asking us to play.

you are insane if you think the wii u tab is similar to a dreamcast controller. that is just 100% false. its about double-triple the width, has 2 analog sticks, oh yea, and a huge fucking touchpad screen in the middle of it.

2012-11-30_09-57-12_970.jpg

2012-11-30_09-56-22_752.jpg

They really do feel alot alike. I know that the Wii gamepad is huge, but in your hands it feels eerily similar. Looks like a screen in the middle of the dreamcast controller as well lol. To those who dont like the screen being doubled from the tv to the controller, you just hit the home button> Controller options> Turn Off Gamepad Screen. Im not trying to argue that this system is the future, im simply here to let people who are interested in buying it for themselves or families know what to expect. Pc gaming will still be my absolute go to.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

Why do you make the assumption that you need to have a Wii U to play games that are fun? Xbox and PS3 don't have games that are fun???

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
People are asking themselves what the Wii U can/will do that the other consoles can't....and that answer isn't clear. There's a huge cost associated with buying and integrating a new console - it needs to be significantly better than what you already have, or have a killer app. Right now, its failing on both counts.

If someone gave me a free Wii U, I might buy NSMBU. But I'm not spending 400+ dollars for it.

I totally agree with you, and I feel that the majority of people who will buy into the Wii U will be folks who want Nintendo first party titles ie: Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong. You will have the people who just have to have every console, like myself, the folks who want the system for nostalgic feelings of mario, people looking for something that has many E rated games for their children to play, and the group of people who are just looking for a change from the Xbox or PS3. This system is 2 weeks old and developers havent even tried to push what the gamepad or the graphics can do, I hope the system does well, for the reason that if Sony doesn't pull through its market crisis and if Nintendo were too fail, MS could go ahead and charge 600 bucks for a new xbox and have total monopoly of the console world.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Why do you make the assumption that you need to have a Wii U to play games that are fun? Xbox and PS3 don't have games that are fun???

They do have games that are fun, but have you never found yourself playing a game, no matter the system, that looks great visually but fails on delivering something you enjoy. I never said you couldn't have fun with either of those consoles, I was simply implying that the wii, wii u, and kinect, seem to try to deliver game experiences through fun, more than through gaining xp and working for gun upgrades. You know what I mean. Like I said, I'm not here to tell you ZOMG WII U PWNZ PS3 N XBOXZ. Just letting the interested know what to expect. Sorry if it came across that way, I feel I have the right to be excited about a new console you know.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The Wii-U plays Wii games, but does it also upscale them to 1080p and add anti-aliasing like the Dolphin PC emulator does? I was tempted to pick one up yesterday, and I probably would have if I didn't spend a bunch of money this month. One bigger draw for me is that the console is better than the Wii and doesn't have such a strong focus on motion controls, but it lets me play all of the Wii games that I never got to play because I never owned a Wii.

2012-11-30_09-57-12_970.jpg
To those who dont like the screen being doubled from the tv to the controller, you just hit the home button> Controller options> Turn Off Gamepad Screen.

I actually got used to it after awhile, but I was really just pointing out that it was a bit jarring at first.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Let me check on the Wii upscaling, I will let you know. I probably wont notice much, I have been using the HDMI upscaling cable from Vdigi the past 2 years, and games are noticeably sharper and have less jaggies. I will try out Mario Galaxy and tell you if its upscaled to 1080p and how it compares too the Vdigi Wii upscaler.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Its upscaled to 1080p, I cant tell the difference in the Vdigi upscaler and the Wii U upscale. For some reason I cant get it to play Wii games full screen. I will look more into it.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Doppel said:
I wish I did, but I honestly just do not find this fun anymore, no more fun than playing with transformers toys.

That's fine; I'm ok with being a child in an adult's body, but at the end of the day I don't want cartooney action. It's obvious that games like Mario bias toward a young audience and shooters an older one.

Oh yeah "adult" shooters are only for "mature" gamers like yourself.

All that cursing and violence, so "mature"!

(despite that being the stuff that the kids love)

tipoo

Oct 4, 2012
Upscaling? I thought when you go into Wii mode it acts exactly like a Wii, 480p output included.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Oh yeah "adult" shooters are only for "mature" gamers like yourself.

All that cursing and violence, so "mature"!

(despite that being the stuff that the kids love)
I think you're stepping into the land of disingenuity. Surely you agree the demographic for Mario Land is different than that for Black Ops II. And that's not stated as a question, because I know you do.
Nintendo's divergent approach has once again focused on finding innovation in control and software versus attempting to compete in terms of raw power

Remember back when Nintendo did all three?

Last edited:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I think you're stepping into the land of disingenuity. Surely you agree the demographic for Mario Land is different than that for Black Ops II. And that's not stated as a question, because I know you do.

Yeah, Black Ops 2 is filled with kids from 10 to 17. It is one of the least mature games around with an equally immature playerbase.

Mario Land isn't a game.

Mario games (if that is what you meant) probably have an audience split between young kids and grown adults.

Nintendo's divergent approach has once again focused on finding innovation in control and software versus attempting to compete in terms of raw power

Remember back when Nintendo did all three?

The gamecube? And how did that sell?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
A picture of two kids doesn't mean anything, no to mention there are games rated for mature audiences. And Mario et al are t in that group. ESRB.

GameCube was a kiddie system. It sold well. Nintendo knows how to make money selling to a younger audience, I never argued otherwise.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I'm loving my Wii U. Being able to play games remotely is awesome...I found I often don't enjoy playing games on my TV anymore and being able to switch back and forth, or play in any room in the house, is truly something I enjoy. The gamepad has a lot of potential, the Nintendo Land game has some fun single and multiplayer games that make good use of it.

I've also been playing New Super Mario Bros Wii U and it's a great game for classic Mario fans.

One thing I can't figure out: Is it possible to turn off the Wii Mote I use with my Wii U? I haven't found a way to do that once it's turn on.