The Official Wii U launch thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
2012-11-30_09-57-12_970.jpg

2012-11-30_09-56-22_752.jpg

I know that the Wii gamepad is huge, but in your hands it feels eerily similar.

Thank God, great news to hear. I am so sick of using controllers designed for my 10 year old's hands. I miss the bigger, more comfortable controllers of yesteryear and I've been waiting to hear about this. Hearing it is like the Dreamcast controller in feel is great news to me because that is still one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever held. Of course I'm not this guy:

tinyhands.jpg

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Thank God, great news to hear. I am so sick of using controllers designed for my 10 year old's hands. I miss the bigger, more comfortable controllers of yesteryear and I've been waiting to hear about this. Hearing it is like the Dreamcast controller in feel is great news to me because that is still one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever held. Of course I'm not this guy:

tinyhands.jpg
This was huge back in the day.

4080562830_b4d3e50efd_z.jpg

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Mmm the original Xbox controller. My favorite ever! I'm a little over 6'3" and have large hands for my height that controller was one of the few that had room on the back so my fingers weren't all intwined.
R.I.P original Xbox controller.

ondarkness

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2004
I love it. Tanktanktank is great japanese arcade fun. Asscreed rocks and as a bonus its got free online multiplayer so no more xbox live for me. Sonic is a crap port. The video chat is great too. I use that alot. I want to get a second one to play at work now...

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Mmm the original Xbox controller. My favorite ever! I'm a little over 6'3" and have large hands for my height that controller was one of the few that had room on the back so my fingers weren't all intwined.
R.I.P original Xbox controller.

Yep, same here. They called that model The Duke. I'd like to think it was some manly John Wayne reference but they probably were just calling it dookie in a nice, college basketball, kinda way. I loved that thing. So plush.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I held the new Wii U tablet controller at Target yesterday. Surprisingly light, and feels pretty good. Yeah it does remind me of dreamcast controller lol.

The system is slowly drawing me in...

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
i got a chance to play SMB a bit more at a buddies house and i found it t9 be quite entertaining. it doesn't really feel like the ds/3DS versions of NSMB much. the wii u version reminded me much more of the 1st 8bit mario and SMB World on the SNES (this is a good thing). the system, especially the gamepad, looks and feels solid. my one gripe is the amount of time it takes to close apps or switch between them. too long of a delay.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I tried one out at gamestop today, and I actually found the Rayman game to be quite fun. It actually used the touchscreen fairly well IMO and it looked very nice. These are the type of games that will sell the thing because this is the first time I've even thought about wanting one.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I tried one out at gamestop today, and I actually found the Rayman game to be quite fun. It actually used the touchscreen fairly well IMO and it looked very nice. These are the type of games that will sell the thing because this is the first time I've even thought about wanting one.

I played as the weird, Viking chick, and it felt way too much like Sonic and not enough like Rayman. I'm certainly not a Rayman veteran, but from what I've seen in Origins, the game is more about platforming (i.e. Mario) than constantly running (i.e. sort-of-Sonic). Rayman does have a time element in the stages, but I always found it more fun to try and get the most of those weird floaty bug things, and sometimes that requires a bit of crafty platforming.

EDIT:

I'm tempted to get one, but I might wait for another good game or two. I'm already interested in the new Mario, but I'd love a 2.5D Metroid (like Super Metroid), Zelda or Mario Kart (if it isn't so "EZ mode"). I did play the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed demo, and it was fun, but it's available on all consoles.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
The consensus is pretty interesting, it seems people who demo the system walk away with a much more positive view of the system...

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Waiting on the next 3D Mario or Super Smash Brothers and I'll be all over it.

I'm scared Namco Bandai won't be able to hold a candle to HAL Labs' efforts. Was playing SSB 64 the other day and was amazed at how well the gameplay has held up.

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
I am wondering what 2 games to get in Toysrus BOGO sale. I have only tried ZombiU and while it looks cool, I dont particularly enjoy horror/suspense games. I am thinking SMB and maybe TankTankTank. Anybody want to pitch in.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I've really been enjoying my Wii U so far. Mario is a lot of fun, especially if you grew up with the earlier games. ZombiU is great if you're looking for a Demon's Souls infused Zombie survival horror FPS. It has some rough edges, but I think it's underrated. Nintendo Land has fun minigames...not something with lasting appeal for me, but it's nice when you have people over.

The console itself has some issues, such as slow loading times in menus and apps. But, as a whole, it's a really cool device with a lot of potential. With good 1st and 3rd party support, I think it could have similar success as the original DS (in sales and overall popularity/public opinion).

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
there was a system update released yesterday or today i forget that addresses some of the performance and system stability issues.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Got the update last night. OS overall is slightly faster, not anything drastic though.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I am wondering what 2 games to get in Toysrus BOGO sale. I have only tried ZombiU and while it looks cool, I dont particularly enjoy horror/suspense games. I am thinking SMB and maybe TankTankTank. Anybody want to pitch in.

I've heard good things about Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I've really been enjoying my Wii U so far. Mario is a lot of fun, especially if you grew up with the earlier games. ZombiU is great if you're looking for a Demon's Souls infused Zombie survival horror FPS. It has some rough edges, but I think it's underrated. Nintendo Land has fun minigames...not something with lasting appeal for me, but it's nice when you have people over.

The console itself has some issues, such as slow loading times in menus and apps. But, as a whole, it's a really cool device with a lot of potential. With good 1st and 3rd party support, I think it could have similar success as the original DS (in sales and overall popularity/public opinion).

Demon's Souls infused? What do you mean by that?

(you got me interested)

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Demon's Souls infused? What do you mean by that?

(you got me interested)

It's hard. Very hard. You will die.

If you die, you come back to life (in a safe zone) as a different person...but in the same situation. And you've lost all your stuff. You can go back to where you died, kill your previous character (now a zombie), and get your stuff back. If you die before you can do that, it's gone for good. But, instead of souls, you actually lose all of your gear. You start out with basic stuff each life.

If you're interested, do some further research to see the influence DS had on ZombiU. It's a pretty cool game. :)

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006

You mean buy one, get one 50% off, right? Works out to 25% off, max.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
What is the availability of the consoles like now? I am flying to the USA on business and am considering bringing one back (we have a VPN, we look like we are in the USA) for my kids. They like the Wii a lot.

Michael

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What is the availability of the consoles like now? I am flying to the USA on business and am considering bringing one back (we have a VPN, we look like we are in the USA) for my kids. They like the Wii a lot.

Michael

I usually see the white one (8GB) in the store, and sometimes see the black (Deluxe, 32GB) one. Although, I don't go around looking at all of the stores.