The Official Wii U launch thread

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by mmntech, Sep 13, 2012.

1. waggy

waggy No Lifer

I will wait and see how it does. My Wii died within a year and had major issues with Nintendo "fixing" it (hint they didn't but claimed they did). then purchased a new one and went through the same shit.

Not to mention the CD's or dvd's whatever they use suck ass. the scratch far to easy and then don't work. I have disk from PS1 that still work and they are hard to scratch.

i like the idea behind the Wuu but think iw as fucked with the wii so i will wait a while.

2. tipoo

tipoo Senior member

3. ghost recon88

ghost recon88 Diamond Member

4. sao123

sao123 Lifer

5. mazeroth

mazeroth Golden Member

Thanks! I just ran to my Wal-Mart and they still had some preorders. I didn't even know they were accepting them.

6. Nintendesert

Nintendesert Diamond Member

I really wish it played DVDs and even Blu-Rays. I would settle for DVDs though so the system could be more a media center type of deal like the PS3. Especially considering the price tag and the TVii or whatever it's called. I like that it has Netflix and Amazon and Hulu etc. so having the DVD/Blu-Ray playback would have made it a really easy buy for me. It's nice having only that one system by the TV vs. multiple boxes.

And my old DVD player broke so I gotta get one of those and this thing... blah. I like how the PS3 simplifies the connections.

7. zebrax2

zebrax2 Senior member

8. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

9. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

It's mainly because of that goofy touchscreen controller, not so much the system itself.

10. tipoo

tipoo Senior member

Yeah, selling at a loss isn't Nintendos style. But then the wiipad will supposedly cost 170-180 retail, so I'm assuming that costs at least 100-150 to make, so with the base Wii U at 300 only half to two thirds that cost comes from the actual hardware in there.

11. Reliant

Reliant Diamond Member

So I'm a dummy and I don't have a preorder. How bad do you think availability on this will be? I don't seem to feel the hype monster is like it was for the Wii, and also Nintendo wants to have as many units out there, learning from the Wii launch.

I kind of want one, but I don't want to camp for 12 hours beforehand.

12. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

I was at Target yesterday and saw they had a WiiU on display there. The controller was surprisingly light and comfortable to hold. That was definitely a plus as it was a concern of mine. The resistive touchscreen was also surprisingly responsive compared to resistive touchscreens of old from cellphones I've used before. Didn't get to play any games as there was only demo videos of game which was a shame. The WiiU unit itself is much longer than a Wii but still much smaller than PS3 and the 360. None of that matters to me since it'll be put somewhere anyways. I'm still going to wait for while to see more games that come out as nothing getting released really makes me want the system.

13. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

It certainly doesn't have the hype the original Wii did. That said, don't count on getting one until after Christmas. I'll be the hot toy this year even if the excitement isn't as big.

14. Subyman

Subyman Moderator <br> VC&G Forum

I doubt that** The LCD screen is most likely only 15-20 dollars** It has a wireless module but does not do its own processing** I can't see any way that it could cost them more than 40-50 dollars to make**

15. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Not to discount the console, but I'm wondering if there is a substantial number of people buying it simply for resale? Resellers are common for new home console releases, but I could imagine that people hoping to cash in on the next Wii would try and milk it. I guess what I'm trying to get at is will availability suddenly shoot up if the console isn't as popular as people expect? I guess it would be interesting to look into how many Wii U pre-orders also have at least one game pre-ordered.

16. reallyscrued

reallyscrued Platinum Member

17. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

Saw this at target today. Picked up the controller, it feels fine.

FAIL: there are ZERO playable games. There were 19 videos. I don't want to stand at target and watch a damn video, I am there to play it. I left in disgust just like the guy and his son did shortly before me.

18. BD2003

BD2003 Lifer

I tried it out at gamestop, and I actually really didnt like the feel of the gamepad. It was just too bulky. I don't think they needed to make it as big as it is to achieve what they wanted to. I guess if you plan on playing games directly on it, the bigger the better, but as an auxiliary display it felt like overkill.

19. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

This is the first Nintendo console I am feeling pretty meh about, but I am super excited about the next Xbox. Maybe I'm just getting older?

20. Axon

Axon Platinum Member

No games that I'm really interested in yet. It's too bad so many bought it strictly to resell. I might have considered one if I could have gotten the deluxe package.

21. Xed

Xed Golden Member

Wandered over to my local target after grocery shopping. They had 8 deluxe and 6 regular consoles. I was 8th in line so I picked up the last deluxe.

Really just an impulse buy so hopefully I don't regret it. I picked up mario, ac3, and ninja gaiden 3 or whatever it's called.

22. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

AC3 should be awesome, specially if you haven't played it yet. Pikmin 3 would be killer, too bad it's Spring.

23. SAWYER

SAWYER Lifer

I scored the last 32 gig Deluxe..now to hoard until close to Christmas to flip. If that backfires and the demand isnt there I can always get the cost back.

#98 SAWYER, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  24. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

target, best buy, gamestop, walmart all sold out of the deluxe. :( saw a few 8gb ones but who wants those?

25. tornadog

tornadog Golden Member

my preorders all shipped but I wanted one today, so ordered one for in store pickup at walmart. I also picked up Mario and ZombieU at Toysrus at their Buy 1 get 1 40% off

These does not look like a hot ticket item like the wii but if I can make 50-75 on each of my preorders, I can keep one for free!