The Official PS4 Thread

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ugh, I hate those stupid Dualshock controllers. They worked fine when I was 14, but now at 31 the DS3 actually causes cramping and pain, while the Xbox controller fits my hand better.

I'm praying somebody will release a good third-party Xbox-style controller for the PS4, though since there's not even one for the PS3, I won't get my hopes up.

I have to agree here... let's hope the new one is a little more comfortable.

The 360 controller is the greatest gamepad ever made. It's so nice that I like to use it for some PC games over a keyboard and mouse.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I have to agree here... let's hope the new one is a little more comfortable.

The 360 controller is the greatest gamepad ever made. It's so nice that I like to use it for some PC games over a keyboard and mouse.

I don't think the 360 controller is that great, better stick placement and feel, better triggers, but that's about it.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think the 360 controller is that great, better stick placement and feel, better triggers, but that's about it.

IMO the d-pad is the only shitty thing on it, but that's rarely used, at least in what I play.

Different strokes.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Am I the only one who can use both the PS3 and 360 controller well without bitching about one of them being so bad that it gives you hand cancer?

People act like one controller is made of needles and the other is as comfy as a boob.

PC Perv

Nov 6, 2009
Does anyone know how big it is? Or what it looks like?

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

Oct 19, 2000
Am I the only one who can use both the PS3 and 360 controller well without bitching about one of them being so bad that it gives you hand cancer?

People act like one controller is made of needles and the other is as comfy as a boob.

I used to think the Dualshock was the pinnacle of controllers during the PS2. I then sold my PS2 and got a 360, and used that controller for a year. I then picked up a PS3 and went back to the Dualshock and it felt pretty bad. For me, the 360 controller completely invalidated the Dualshock design.

Personally, I can use the Dualshock and not bitch, but I do feel the 360 controller is much better overall, by far.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
I used to think the Dualshock was the pinnacle of controllers during the PS2. I then sold my PS2 and got a 360, and used that controller for a year. I then picked up a PS3 and went back to the Dualshock and it felt pretty bad. For me, the 360 controller completely invalidated the Dualshock design.

Personally, I can use the Dualshock and not bitch, but I do feel the 360 controller is much better overall, by far.

I concur

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If someone posted this I missed it. Amazon has the release date as March 3, 2020 They be trollin'. Link to PS4 page

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006
Eh. The controllers are better for their own purposes. I thikn the DS3 is much better for RPG's and games like Demons Souls, while 360 is better for shooters.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008

Biggest problem with the PS controller is that it has next to no weight. It feels follow as if it were to crack. Also the L&R trigger design leaves a lot to be desired. The only issue I have the 360 is the terrible D-pad. I think it nailed everything else.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Isn't being too light good? Mine have never messed up and I'd hate to have to hold a heavy object in my hands for moderate to long lengths of time.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

no you are not

also the triggers on the current dual shock are fine

the only issue i have with any controller is the convex shape of the thumbtacks on the dualshock

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Biggest problem with the PS controller is that it has next to no weight. It feels follow as if it were to crack. Also the L&R trigger design leaves a lot to be desired. The only issue I have the 360 is the terrible D-pad. I think it nailed everything else.

Battery packs suck and a lighter controller is always better when playing for long periods.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
I can use both interchangably, neither one is really mind blowing. From what we have seen they took the DS3 and just improved it. I think it will feel better in your hands then DS3.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Battery packs suck and a lighter controller is always better when playing for long periods.

I disagree.

I actually prefer a little weight, honestly. I've gamed for upwards of 5 hours at a time on the 360 in the past, and never once felt fatigue due to "weight". Total non-issue.

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
I've never had arm fatigue from a 360 controller, but then again I don't have the forearms of a 10 year old girl.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I disagree.

I actually prefer a little weight, honestly. I've gamed for upwards of 5 hours at a time on the 360 in the past, and never once felt fatigue due to "weight". Total non-issue.

I've never heard anyone complain about the weight of the 360's controller. I've heard complaint about the size of the OG Xbox's controllers but never once about weight. I guess whoever is having issues should stop holding it straight out?

On the flip side, I'm in the camp of not really caring for the PS3's controller. It's a bit light and awkwardly shaped for me. Not really something I can't get around as I've played many a game on them, but I do say a lot that I really prefer the 360's. It's pretty subjective though and I can see someone who's been using pretty much the same one as the OG PS liking it a lot more. At least they're not talking about 6 axises this time around..

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I disagree.

Neither is holding a a thick hard back book, but a lighter paperback still feels more relaxing.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005

I agree. I have very large hands and regularly use both controllers. I think I'd give a nod to the 360 controller overall, but I think they're both just fine and comfortable for long usage.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
You guys should check out the latest anadtech podcast, they had a good segment discussing the PS4. Seems like the biggest beef they have is Sony skimping on the WiFi, no 5ghz freq

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
You guys should check out the latest anadtech podcast, they had a good segment discussing the PS4. Seems like the biggest beef they have is Sony skimping on the WiFi, no 5ghz freq

That's fine, i can't even use 5ghz in my own home as it is.