The Official PS4 Thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
I've never heard anyone complain about the weight of the 360's controller. I've heard complaint about the size of the OG Xbox's controllers but never once about weight. I guess whoever is having issues should stop holding it straight out?

On the flip side, I'm in the camp of not really caring for the PS3's controller. It's a bit light and awkwardly shaped for me. Not really something I can't get around as I've played many a game on them, but I do say a lot that I really prefer the 360's. It's pretty subjective though and I can see someone who's been using pretty much the same one as the OG PS liking it a lot more. At least they're not talking about 6 axises this time around..

I miss the OG Xbox controller so much...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well it seems both Sony and MS are really wanting to push move controls. Sony put it on the controller and the ps4 will ship with they Eye Bar and rumors are that MS will ship the next Xbox with kinect 2.0. I honestly dont not care for either, I have a Kinect that was given to me, outside of getting drunk and playing Kinect sports with some friends its never used.I really felt that perhaps they both abandoned the damn things, I mean you see little to no software released for these things. Games that have been released for move and kinect really seemed rushed. After all that being said I blame the Wii,joking aside i wish this fad with movement and touch would die.

Notice that Sony never once showed how the camera bar would be used. That's a big deal to me because they made the entire presentation focused on gaming without it. This tells me it's uses won't necessarily be for gaming. Remember watching the guy play a game and you see hos face? I think it's more for that aspect.

It doesn't much matter as all the games I'm excited about won't use any motion.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I have smallish hands and for me I find the 360 controller to be the most confortable I've ever used. I find the PS3 controller to be a bit too small and it feels awkward to use the analog triggers whereas with the 360 controller using them is totally natural. I guess that's why GT5 used button pressure for throttle and breaking instead of the triggers. I never would have thought this the case, but the controller will be a big part of which console I buy next...if I buy one at all.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Am I the only one who can use both the PS3 and 360 controller well without bitching about one of them being so bad that it gives you hand cancer?

People act like one controller is made of needles and the other is as comfy as a boob.

If you've been raised on this you can use any controller

NES_Controller_by_The_Penciler.png

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
so it'll only be B/G and not N is what you are saying?? because i have no idea what the difference is between the 2

i run wired so its a non issue for me but yea

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I'm impressed about the pause and instant on, as well as the play while downloading part. These features should have been available at the last generation though. Nonetheless, I think it was the best part of the announcement.

I'm also impressed at the 8 GB GDDR5 but it concerns me because it is potentially very costly. If they pull another $600 console fiasco I'm not interested.

It was also pretty disappointing they didn't actually show the damn thing. Call me picky but one of the things I hated the most about the original PS3 was the rounded top shape, which meant you couldn't put anything on top of it, although I suspect that was intentional given its high power utilization.

And WTF does Sony have against IR anyway? A media centre device without IR is just stupid.

802.11ac would have been preferred but not necessary, and I wasn't expecting it. I was hoping for 5 GHz though, even though in my house 5 GHz isn't as helpful due to the reduced range.

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
blue tooth allows them to sell more specific accessories, yes its stupid but its really easy to see why they do it

$$$$$

and you can get remotes that do both IR and BT or use 2 remotes

more non issues IMO

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
BT has some advantages over IR, but plenty of 3rd party BT remotes, really no need to include IR if the related products for the system all use BT. Outside of cheap remotes, it's not like you could make any other product function less the PS4 gets hacked, which may take years again.

If you've been raised on this you can use any controller

NES_Controller_by_The_Penciler.png

I was raised on this and can't just use any ol controller...i'm not a kid anymore

usb_joystick.jpg

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's fine, i can't even use 5ghz in my own home as it is.

If its just 2.4ghz b/g/n chances are it could be a trashy 65Mbps adapter like you have in a tablet or cheap laptop. For people with fast internet it could become a real bottleneck when downloading games.

I would think 5Ghz Wifi-N should be the bare minimum, though really they should try for a/b/g/n/AC if possible considering how long the console is supposed to be around.

Personally it won't be an issue for me because I use a D-Link DAP-1522 access point for my media devices. It picks up a fast and strong wireless signal and then connects via ethernet to the consoles and media streamer.

High bitrate media also streams better over 5GHz in my experience.

cplusplus

Apr 28, 2005
If its just 2.4ghz b/g/n chances are it could be a trashy 65Mbps adapter like you have in a tablet or cheap laptop. For people with fast internet it could become a real bottleneck when downloading games.

I would think 5Ghz Wifi-N should be the bare minimum, though really they should try for a/b/g/n/AC if possible considering how long the console is supposed to be around.

That's what redesigns are for. We all know there will be a PS4 slim within the next couple years, and that will be when they upgrade the wireless chipset.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Is anyone speculating on the graphics quality and level design capabilities of this new console?

I've been wanting to upgrade my PC, but I'm starting to think it might be a better idea to get a PS4, ride out this PC for another 3-4 years then upgrade it once PC hardware vastly outpaces the level of hardware in the PS4.

Is the PS4 going to be capable of giving us modern visuals like Crysis 3, and will it allow more open world designs? Also have they said anything about modding capability of games, such as Skyrim within the console via downloads?

Is there any chance to being able to install an alternate OS such as Linux (or even Windows) on this like you could with some of the first PS3 models?

cplusplus

Apr 28, 2005
Is anyone speculating on the graphics quality and level design capabilities of this new console?

I've been wanting to upgrade my PC, but I'm starting to think it might be a better idea to get a PS4, ride out this PC for another 3-4 years then upgrade it once PC hardware vastly outpaces the level of hardware in the PS4.

Is the PS4 going to be capable of giving us modern visuals like Crysis 3, and will it allow more open world designs? Also have they said anything about modding capability of games, such as Skyrim within the console via downloads?

Is there any chance to being able to install an alternate OS such as Linux (or even Windows) on this like you could with some of the first PS3 models?

I'm personally expecting something along the levels of 7970GHz performance (if not a little higher) given the presence of the 7850-level GPU and the lack of OS/DirectX overhead. Which should be enough for 1080 gaming at high quality (though maybe not very high in the most demanding games). Killzone, for example, is supposed be aiming at 1080p/30, and they've said that developers are being given a choice of what they want to prioritize (be it making sure you run at 1080p or making sure you run at a smooth/high framerate). I would hope that the 8GB RAM means more open worlds because of less pop-in, but no one has said anything about it yet (I'd look at Watch Dogs or maybe Infamous: Second Son as launch games to see if the RAM has a noticeable effect on open worlds).

As far as mods, I'd imagine texture mods and the like are out, but beyond that it's up to the developer what they want to allow, and that was the case on PS3 as well. The trick was that only one developer every really decided to do it (Unreal Tournament on PS3 supported PC mods). And, truthfully, I doubt that more than a couple developers allow it for the life of this console.

I doubt they'll officially announce an alternate OS this time around after what happened with Linux last time, but since the whole thing is X86, someone will probably find a way.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
Do you have big hands? I don't remember really being bothered by them, but do remember that when the "slim" was released it felt a lot better.

Yes, it was the only controller that ever felt "perfect" for me. I still have one for my PC.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

Didn't you see the Killzone gameplay video? There is also a Watchdogs gameplay one too on Youtube HD. Looks just as crisp as any PC game....now of course PC's will gradually surpass and Steam deals are tough to pass on, but personally i'm holding off any further upgrades until the PC actually makes some real differences, which may not be long but no biggie.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

It should be able to do what lower to middle end enthusiast rig should do. The GPU is equivalent to a Radeon HD 7850 based on their TFLOPS specs. PC will always be better graphics wise though as they can be upgraded, consoles can't. It's the exclusives that draw me in.

It should allow for much bigger and more detailed games. Maybe not quite Crysis level but that's an exception because those games have always been tech demos for high end enthusiasts. As for modding, it's doubtful that console games will ever support it beyond DLC. Other OS is also very unlikely as Sony now sees it as a vector of piracy and jailbreaking.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
The most striking capability you should think about is what the extra RAM will offer over next gen. Battlefield 4 on PS360 will probably be 24 players, 720 res or less, comparable to PC on low. There is no reason that Battlefield 4 on PS4 can't be the full 64 players, 1080 res comparable to Ultra on PC (if 30fps), or High on PC (if 60fps).

But yes, it should do better than what a current PC with a 7850 can do. The only caveat is that the CPU is rather weak. Even 50% utilization on a 3570k is faster than 100% utilization of a 1.6GHz AMD 8-core. I'm really not sure how much this will hold it back...

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
It should be able to do what lower to middle end enthusiast rig should do. The GPU is equivalent to a Radeon HD 7850 based on their TFLOPS specs. PC will always be better graphics wise though as they can be upgraded, consoles can't. It's the exclusives that draw me in.

It will do more than specs suggest just because developers can push a specific hardware platform more. Look at current PS3 games compared to their first batch of games, Devs are getting features that technically the specs shouldn't even allow for, even Crytek mentioned that they can get some similar DX11 effects from it.
I remember when Nintendo used MMC and FX chips to push their games, they got a lot out of the NES and Snes considering the specs too.

Being x86 this time, they will definitely have an easier time pushing the hardware than before.

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
Didn't you see the Killzone gameplay video? There is also a Watchdogs gameplay one too on Youtube HD. Looks just as crisp as any PC game....now of course PC's will gradually surpass and Steam deals are tough to pass on, but personally i'm holding off any further upgrades until the PC actually makes some real differences, which may not be long but no biggie.

Killzone was probably pre-rendered and watchdog was running on a PC.

We've seen numerous claims of real in game graphics at console launches (including sony) which end up being renders.

Oct 25, 2006
Killzone was probably pre-rendered and watchdog was running on a PC.

We've seen numerous claims of real in game graphics at console launches (including sony) which end up being renders.

Educate yourself.

They literally played Killzone in public, on TV.