The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
new? did they change something?

New to me. It was the first time that I had it.. I guess it has been out for consumers for a while. Not sure the exact time line.

Is Popeye's really that good? Chicken sammich wise?

See my review a few posts above. Not great but not bad either. The sauce was a bit too much imo. It was decent but as I was saying in my previous post, not sure why it was in huge demand when it first came out for the consumers a few months before Covid.

I love their Cajun fries tho. Their spicy chicken breasts are the best ones from all the chains (KFC, Churches, etc.).

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
All these "fancy" new chicken sandwiches when the classic McChicken still rules them all,
Also, screw CFA.

I'm with you on CFA. After they reportedly stopped donating to anti-LGBT organizations I finally went and ate there. It was good. I have probably eaten there a dozen times or so. Now I'm back to not eating there as I discovered the family that owns it are the same dbags who initiated all those things and pretty much still believe them. It was purely a PR move and they have left the door open to doing it again in the future.

Let's face it, I'm sure the executives at a lot of these companies have suspect practices, so really one can boycott almost anything - but, this was part of the CFA belief system all the way to the top and they put their money into those beliefs.

Thankfully their competitor has a better sandwich so I ain't missing out on much. I've had the Popeye's chicken sandwich now many times and at multiple locations, and it's always been on point. They got that shit down to a science.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Is Popeye's really that good? Chicken sammich wise?
It's a pretty hefty portion for $4, and pretty good. Not as good as Shake Shack's chicken sandwich, but that's not $4 either.
I love their Cajun fries tho. Their spicy chicken breasts are the best ones from all the chains (KFC, Churches, etc.).
Cajun fries are pretty tasty.
I thought the Nashville hot from KFC was pretty good, but overall I'd prefer Popeye's.
All these "fancy" new chicken sandwiches when the classic McChicken still rules them all,
FOH
Nasty-ass piece of garbage. Somehow manages to be even worse than McNuggets, a feat thought hitherto unmanageable by mankind.
I'm with you on CFA. After they reportedly stopped donating to anti-LGBT organizations I finally went and ate there. It was good. I have probably eaten there a dozen times or so. Now I'm back to not eating there as I discovered the family that owns it are the same dbags who initiated all those things and pretty much still believe them. It was purely a PR move and they have left the door open to doing it again in the future.

Let's face it, I'm sure the executives at a lot of these companies have suspect practices, so really one can boycott almost anything - but, this was part of the CFA belief system all the way to the top and they put their money into those beliefs.

Thankfully their competitor has a better sandwich so I ain't missing out on much. I've had the Popeye's chicken sandwich now many times and at multiple locations, and it's always been on point. They got that shit down to a science.
Same, I thought they'd stopped their shenanigans, and ate there again, turns out that was bullshit, so CFA can fuck off extra hard.
Literally went to BK yesterday when I found out they were donating to the HRC for the Ch'King purchases in June (sadly capped at $250k). Hadn't been to BK at all in 2-3 years prior.

The mozzarella sticks were pretty bad though, do not recommend. Arby's or Sonic does them better.

Feb 4, 2009

Yeah, I feel qualified to talk about this because I am okay with CFA don’t hate the food, don’t love the food.
CFA has some questionable social stands. Some good like not open on Sundays, some bad the the donations to anti lgbt causes.
Thing is CFA is the real deal, they do it because the believe in it. They legitimately feed people who can’t pay, I saw it happen at one near a store I managed years ago. They literally would send someone outside to look for a hungry homeless person. This is legit charity, even letting them inside yo eat which many people would not allow.
Bottom line is imo they do what they say they do and that deserves some respect.

That is all sorry for the P&N stuff.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, I feel qualified to talk about this because I am okay with CFA don’t hate the food, don’t love the food.
CFA has some questionable social stands. Some good like not open on Sundays, some bad the the donations to anti lgbt causes.
Thing is CFA is the real deal, they do it because the believe in it. They legitimately feed people who can’t pay, I saw it happen at one near a store I managed years ago. They literally would send someone outside to look for a hungry homeless person. This is legit charity, even letting them inside yo eat which many people would not allow.
Bottom line is imo they do what they say they do and that deserves some respect.

That is all sorry for the P&N stuff.
I like CFA, and I'd like to continue eating there, but obviously I've got a personal stake in their bullshit.
And FWIW, when I was homeless, I got fed for free at Subway and KFC, I just told them I was hungry and I didn't have any money.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
New to me. It was the first time that I had it.. I guess it has been out for consumers for a while. Not sure the exact time line.
been at least 10 years

FOH
Nasty-ass piece of garbage. Somehow manages to be even worse than McNuggets, a feat thought hitherto unmanageable by mankind.
<csb>
i was at a mcdonalds this weekend wanting an iced tea, which for some reason was $1.49 instead of $1 like a coke would have been (and none out on the counter), so checked the app and saw i could get an iced tea gratis with a $1 purchase. probably should have bought a coke and gotten 2 drinks for $1, but the next cheapest thing was a mcchicken. this mcdonalds did not have the hot n' spicy, which i've had plenty of. anyway, i get the mchicken and it's notably drier than the hot n' spicy. would not order again. also, wtf ohio.
</csb>

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
been at least 10 years

Their spicy chicken was out for 10 years or more? I rarely eat there because they rarely have any coupon or discount at CFA.

I thought with all the commotions/attention from "spicy chicken sandwiches" from all the fast food joints lately, everyone and their friends would get a "new and improved" spicy chicken sandwich onto the menu.

Feb 4, 2009
I like CFA, and I'd like to continue eating there, but obviously I've got a personal stake in their bullshit.
And FWIW, when I was homeless, I got fed for free at Subway and KFC, I just told them I was hungry and I didn't have any money.

Aw Dude that’s sad & uplifting all in one.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Also, screw CFA.
Just went to CfA earlier today. Got the deluxe grilled chicken sammich. The chicken breast on my sammich was non-existent. The lettuce, tomato and onion were thicker and bigger than the actual piece of grill chicken. I feel ripped off really.

Honestly, I can sous vide a pack of thick chicken breast at home for less than the cost of that sammich and be full after eating just half.

People honestly pay their money for a flimsy piece of chicken that can't even fill a bun? The bun itself was even grainy. Why do people line up around the block for this shite? Even the nuggs were a bit disappointing. They were like breast teeny weeny bites.

Damn, I feel ripped off.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I first went to CFA back in the 80s when they weren't everywhere around here, and thought they were kinda special. Not really a fan anymore. Prices are higher than average, but the food is average at best. Dunno if they changed or if I did, but they're never at the top of my list for getting food out. If there was a Popeyes, KFC, and CFA in a row by the road, CFA wouldn't even be a consideration.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I first went to CFA back in the 80s when they weren't everywhere around here, and thought they were kinda special. Not really a fan anymore. Prices are higher than average, but the food is average at best. Dunno if they changed or if I did, but they're never at the top of my list for getting food out. If there was a Popeyes, KFC, and CFA in a row by the road, CFA wouldn't even be a consideration.
Apparently some lunatic on here loves and prefers Bojangles.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've never seen a Bojangles. Their site says the closest one is 50 miles away. Better be amazing for that drive :^D

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just went to CfA earlier today. Got the deluxe grilled chicken sammich. The chicken breast on my sammich was non-existent. The lettuce, tomato and onion were thicker and bigger than the actual piece of grill chicken. I feel ripped off really.

Honestly, I can sous vide a pack of thick chicken breast at home for less than the cost of that sammich and be full after eating just half.

People honestly pay their money for a flimsy piece of chicken that can't even fill a bun? The bun itself was even grainy. Why do people line up around the block for this shite? Even the nuggs were a bit disappointing. They were like breast teeny weeny bites.

Damn, I feel ripped off.
Are you a girl? Who gets grilled chicken sandwich at CFA? It's like chicken wrap. You avoid that stuff. CFA is about the peanut oil fried chicken sandwich and canola oil fried waffle fries. And excellent customer service, clean restaurant, and great choice of condiments.

I've never seen a Bojangles. Their site says the closest one is 50 miles away. Better be amazing for that drive :^D
I like Bojangles, but definitely not worth 50 mile drive. Bojangles is even more expensive than CFA. But CFA is not really expensive anymore because all other places raised prices faster than CFA.

• Haha
Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So I went to CFA (Chik Fil A) around 11 a.m. this morning because I received a gift card. The place was packed with vehicles (the dining room was closed until further notice). I ordered the new spicy chicken sandwich combo with a drink and it was ok. Not great but not bad either. The one thing I realized it was not the same was the friendliness from the employees. I said "thank you" to three of them at different times at three different locations (the first to guide vehicle to which lane, the second took my order, the third gave me the order) and none of them said anything back. It used to be "my pleasure" whenever a customer said thank you, at least that how I remembered it the last time I was there.

So far I had spicy chicken sandwich from (the last few months):

- CFA
- Popeyes
- Wendy's

I still have to say Wendy's is still better than others (for now).

Still need to get from

- McD
-Zaxby
- KFC

Any other places?

Speaking of McD, saw a few ads on YouTube about BTS inspired new items.

Supposedly BK of all places makes a good one now as well.

(I however am not a fan of the rolls they use ... I suggest requesting one of the sesame-seeded Whopper rolls instead)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Tried the new BK chicken sandwich. Meh. It was kind of dry and very underwhelming

One thing BK as a chain REALLY needs to fix is lack of consistency between restaurants.

Unlike McDonalds which much like Budweiser beer may not be very good BUT is ALWAYS the same taste-wise anywhere you order it, BK is all over the map in terms of staff attitude and careful food prep.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Any time I set foot in Chik-fil-et I feel like I need a shower afterwards.

:confused_old:

Food IS pretty good but the company is run by a bunch of bigoted scumbags and I for one will not give them one cent of my money.

Reactions: Homerboy

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Maybe it's because I hadn't had fast food in a month and was eating better. But I had a Triple Bacon Cheesy Jack from JiTB 2 nights ago and it was pretty damn good. 3 patties, 3 kinds of cheese and 3 kinds of bacon. That's Jacks description. Not sure what the 3rd kind of bacon was, all I saw was strips and bacon bits. It wasn't really anything new, but lots of cheese and bacon in a win for me.

Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe it's because I hadn't had fast food in a month and was eating better. But I had a Triple Bacon Cheesy Jack from JiTB 2 nights ago and it was pretty damn good. 3 patties, 3 kinds of cheese and 3 kinds of bacon. That's Jacks description. Not sure what the 3rd kind of bacon was, all I saw was strips and bacon bits. It wasn't really anything new, but lots of cheese and bacon in a win for me.
Seems like probably the "bacon mayo" is the third "kind" of bacon.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Are you a girl? Who gets grilled chicken sandwich at CFA? It's like chicken wrap. You avoid that stuff. CFA is about the peanut oil fried chicken sandwich and canola oil fried waffle fries. And excellent customer service, clean restaurant, and great choice of condiments.

I like Bojangles, but definitely not worth 50 mile drive. Bojangles is even more expensive than CFA. But CFA is not really expensive anymore because all other places raised prices faster than CFA.
What? Getting grilled chicken is bad? Why offer it and the breast is like 1/4 inch thick?

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I also tried the new spicy Ch'King, I agree it was a little more dry than Popeye's, but it was also more flavorful. Other than that they're kinda neck-and-neck for me. I skipped the "savory" sauce (since that's usually code for "flavored mayo" and/or "Thousand Island variant" and I hate both of those)
I tried the regular Ch'King today (also without the savory sauce) and I was really impressed. It's a real contender. I need to try the spicy next.

Reactions: TeeJay1952