The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I kinda like the Banquet tv dinners. It's one of those things that is what it is. They're objectively inferior to most other choices, but taken on it's own terms, I'm happy with them. Haven't gotten them in a long time, but I'd be more than happy to eat one.
Salisbury steak FTW.

Reactions: lxskllr

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I got the Popeye's chicken sandwich, it was pretty good, I just wish they could make the breading spicy.
At $4 it blew away the Jack in the Box spicy chicken which was $6.19 and was insultingly small and I guess maybe it had a couple flakes of cayenne pepper in it? I honestly almost wonder if they gave me the wrong chicken patty.
I had Popeye's chicken sandwich, once. The breading/coating/whatever you want to call it was excellent. The chicken was WAY overcooked. Hard to bite through overcooked. I got some tenders from the same location another time. WAY overcooked.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I had Popeye's chicken sandwich, once. The breading/coating/whatever you want to call it was excellent. The chicken was WAY overcooked. Hard to bite through overcooked. I got some tenders from the same location another time. WAY overcooked.
Sounds like a location to avoid, IMO, the one I got was pretty moist and juicy.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't normally buy frozen processed foods but this was at the end of a Costco frozen aisle today and I love Jamaican beef patties so I bought a box, and let me say, they are disappointing. I mean some bites in the middle are ok where the meat to pastry ratio is decent enough, but it's still not enough to overcome a substandard pastry and just average filling. After the bites in the middle the rest are way too pastry forward and since the pastry isn't that good, it's meh.

large_98451087-ff52-4fce-ac79-6214657186b6.jpg

PXL_20210322_210300033 (Medium).jpg

Reactions: Kaido

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
That's a shame, occasionally you can find something worthwhile in the frozen section like that. I enjoyed the frozen Leonetti's stromboli, but haven't found them here in WA yet.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like Golden Krust brand. You can get them at the dollar store, or used to anyway. Not homemade, but they're pretty credible, especially for $1. I tried the faux meat ones just to try them, and they are *not* recommended. They aren't bad, but aren't particularly good either. Very bland.

Reactions: Captante

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I like Golden Krust brand. You can get them at the dollar store, or used to anyway. Not homemade, but they're pretty credible, especially for $1. I tried the faux meat ones just to try them, and they are *not* recommended. They aren't bad, but aren't particularly good either. Very bland.
Yep, Golden Krust is decent. They have a store open not too far from me.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yep, Golden Krust is decent. They have a store open not too far from me.

I do feel the need to add that the patties they sell in the "real" supermarket (like Stop & Shop) seem to be a bit higher quality than the dollar-store version.

Pretty sure these are still made in New Rochelle NY. :)

Golden Krust

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So I stopped by the local WhatABurger this morning and had the new Spicy Chicken Combo meal. The place was about 50% full and there were several vehicles in the drive thought line.

The chicken was ok, a bit dry and overcooked. Not bad but not great either.

I still like the grilled chicken sandwich from WaB better.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I ate at Whataburger in Austin, TX, and it was only ok and not great. The Whataburger places I ate in Navarre Beach, FL, were fantastic and easily the best fast-food chain burger. I thought since Whataburger is Texas chain, it would be better in Texas. Nope. It's way worse. I was super disappointed with my Whataburger experience in Texas.

I also ate at In-N-Out in San Marcos, TX, and it was the best In-N-Out I've eaten at. And the Double-Double there was really great. Even the fries weren't half bad, and I hate In-N-Out fries. Overall, Texas does In-N-Out better than the In-N-Out I had in San Francisco, CA. I would rate that In-N-Out burger and restaurant as the best fast-food burger joint in the US. Just goes to show you how foods and experience at fast food chains can differ so much in quality from place to place. Quality, consistency, and superior customer service is so hard master and so difficult to maintain.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I Still can't understand why Chick Fil A is so good to so many people??? Do they really have the best food?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I really like CFA. Food always fresh, prepared right, quick service, friendly staff.

I tried the new Burger King hand-breaded chicken sandwich yesterday. Another CFA knockoff, huge breaded chicken breast, pickles, in a CFA-style bag. Ate about half then pitched it out, and I almost never throw in the towel on food I buy. Chicken had almost no flavor, the pickles had an odd taste. It was not disgusting, just had no flavor. It was huge though.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
So I like Cheetos as much as the next guy but haven't really had them in ages. I tried a bag of the new Jalapeno flavors and I. am. HOOKED! They don't really taste like jalapeno, no real heat, but they just boost the original cheesy flavor in a really good way. A+. I killed the whole bag & then bought another one lol.

1620486820670.png

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I really like CFA. Food always fresh, prepared right, quick service, friendly staff.

I tried the new Burger King hand-breaded chicken sandwich yesterday. Another CFA knockoff, huge breaded chicken breast, pickles, in a CFA-style bag. Ate about half then pitched it out, and I almost never throw in the towel on food I buy. Chicken had almost no flavor, the pickles had an odd taste. It was not disgusting, just had no flavor. It was huge though.

Same here. iirc I couldn't even finish half of it. The McDonalds versions are boring. The KFC one is decent, but Popeye's still has the magic. I would rank Chick-fil-a above KFC's, with Popeye's still being The King.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I Still can't understand why Chick Fil A is so good to so many people??? Do they really have the best food?

Not "the best" food, they just make a really decent chicken sandwich & nuggets & tenders. Plus their Frozen Lemonade is OUTSTANDING, and imo they have the best fries on the planet (I love their waffle fries, especially when they make them just right & get them crispy!).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Oh that's unfortunate. I travel around the state for my job & have probably hit up every Popeyes here & haven't had a bad experience in memory yet!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I will preface this by saying I'm not really a Bugles fan. They're pretty meh. But I saw a sweet version (caramel) and it looked so disgusting that I had to try it. THEY WERE SO GOOD THAT I WENT BACK & BOUGHT MORE FOR MY SNACK CUPBOARD!!! lol

1620487094069.png

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I think I posted this in another thread (or maybe this one earlier), but I decided to level-up my game with a metal snack box. 100% worth the money:

Snacks live in a very weird space in my head. My brain says "no I'm an adult I don't care, that stuff is for kids", but when my energy is low mid-morning or mid-afternoon & I crack open my snack box, nothing in the world is better lol. I've been making a lot of homemade Uncrustable sandwiches using my ring molds lately (PB&J, fluffernutter, egg salad, etc.), plus trying out different snacks like 3D Doritos (cheese ones are meh & I'm a cheese Doritos guy, but the Ranch ones are actually really good with a slight kick to them). A+ I can't recommend having an awesome snack tray prepared for yourself every day enough lol.

1620487308745.png

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
A few days ago, I finally tried the famous $3.99 spicy chicken sandwich from Popeyes. You know, the one that ran out of stock from all the frenzy a while back. It was ok, not bad but not great either. I guess because it was a bit undercooked for my taste. Will try another one from another location to be sure.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The lime flavored KitKat bars are okay, taste like store brand lemon sandwich cookies. I wouldn’t buy again.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So I like Cheetos as much as the next guy but haven't really had them in ages. I tried a bag of the new Jalapeno flavors and I. am. HOOKED! They don't really taste like jalapeno, no real heat, but they just boost the original cheesy flavor in a really good way. A+. I killed the whole bag & then bought another one lol.

View attachment 44120
Huh, I thought this flavor had been around for ages?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Huh, I thought this flavor had been around for ages?

Maybe, I'm not a big Cheetos guy so I probably just didn't notice.

Although I've been disappointed with all of the "Flamin' Hot" stuff, Ghost pepper stuff, etc. It's all...not that hot lol. Oddly enough you don't really taste a lot of the jalapeno in the cheetos, it just has a surprisingly good flavor. I've been going to town on fancy snack trays & have been building up my inventory of "really awesome snacks" to put in my metal Lunchbots snack box lol.