The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Tried Shack Shack's new Korean chicken sandwich today. Meh. Boncon Chicken is 10x better. Shack Shake's version is like when you buy frozen PF Chang's food in the freezer section. Like, the idea of it is there, and it's OK, and it's hey, it's food, but it's not the true experience. Get their regular chicken sandwich with extra herbed buttermilk sauce instead is my recommendation! Can't remember if I mentioned it but I also tried their hot chicken sandwich the other day and it was OK. The regular one is still their best one. Popeye's still has the coveted number one spot in my book. Will be trying the McDonalds version & KFC version in the next month or so!

Also tried their new Black Sugar Vanilla Shake. Boy was that a weird experience. The best I can explain it is that the flavor was chasing after caramel and chasing after too-salty, but wasn't quite there yet. Like it wasn't quite caramel and it wasn't too salty but it was kind of close to being too salty. You keep drinking it to see if you can get the flavors you're tasting, but you never quite get there so you keep drinking it thinking you're going to hit that flavor wall of what you think it should taste like. Kind of like how the the Nutri-Matic from the Hitchhiker's book makes drinks that are almost but not quite like what you want them to be hahaha.

View attachment 37353

Too bad about the gochujang sandwich, though I will have to try it myself. Bonchon makes some great chicken, but the one by me, at least, has no sandwich, just a solitary chicken wrap.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The KFC sandwich is getting pretty good reviews. Ori being me to a KFC for the first time in awhile

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I couldn't remember if I had previously tried the "New" Wendy's crispy Chicken sandwich or not, so I got one today because I was in a pinch. It's been awhile since I was this let-down by food.

1611978138848.png

Reactions: Captante

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Spicy Nuggets are back at McDonalds. They are actually pretty good this time around. I've gotten them twice. Mighty Hot Sauce is decent. They're actually oddly good with Ranch sauce.

I'm currently in a DIY nuggets-making phase at home, so I've been trying a bunch of different nuggets. So far the NEW Popeye's nuggets are the winner FWIW (not their currently style; the new ones are like the new sandwich). Not my pic:

1611978223051.png

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
The KFC sandwich is getting pretty good reviews. Ori being me to a KFC for the first time in awhile

I'm very interested to try it. I love crunchy fried chicken. I hit up Popeye's for their new chicken sandwich more often than is probably healthy for me lol.

I used to like KFC growing up, but their quality has gone quite a bit over the years. I stopped in a couple years ago & my basket was so bad that I couldn't finish it. It sounds like their new extra-crispy sandwich is a homerun, so fingers crossed! I'll have to compare it to McDonald's new crispy chicken sandwiches as well!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've finally found a Screaming Sicilian product I would buy a second time, the Loaded Pan. I'll still wait for a sale, targeting a $4-5 per pizza price.
All their other products I've tried have been "meh" and overpriced (these are still overpriced, of course, hence the sale-waiting), I actually enjoyed this one.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
One of my guilty pleasure is McDonald's chicken nugget. Plain white meat chicken nuggets. And I get their Sweet & Sour and their BBQ sauce to dip the nuggets. I don't know why but I prefer McDonald's processed nuggets over Chick-fil-a nuggets. I'm probably like the only person on earth. But I grew up eating McD chicken nuggets, and I still like it.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
The Steakhouse King at Burger King is quite delicious. I keep going back for more. It's the A1 sauce, crispy fried onions, and of course the bacon that make it worthwhile. And a total lack of tomato or lettuce.
Comes with 1 or 2 patties - your choice.

burger-king-steakhouse-king.jpg

It's as good as Whataburger's "Spicy Bacon burger."

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Any of you fuckers order pizza regularly for the last 40 years?
You notice the quality has slowly gone down with most of them?
Like, they're all racing each other to the bottom which makes no sense cuz they'll all just end up out of business.
I'd rather they improve the quality if I have any say in the matter.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Like, they're all racing each other to the bottom which makes no sense cuz they'll all just end up out of business.
I've been eating Papa Johns lately, for this very reason. All of my local joints except for one, have gone way down hill. My complaint of the one is that they don't cook it enough. When they do, it's great. Papa Johns gets it right 99% of the time.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The only national chain I've ordered from in the last couple years was Little Caesar's. If anything, they've gotten better than they were 20-30 years ago, IMO. I still get that like once a month.
But the usual suspects? Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Domino's? I did get Domino's on a road trip this past summer, now that I think of it... I'll just keep not eating that (damn few places open on a Saturday at 10:43PM in Boise, ID, it turns out). The others, yeah, I'd sooner eat a frozen pizza.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
In a place that is starving for reasonably priced, decent quality pizza I'll keep going to Domino's. It's not great but the 5.99 medium two topping deal is not bad.

Round Table is much better but they're way too expensive. Outside of that Costco is probably the best choice, but they don't deliver. Papa Murphy's is ok, but again no delivery.

Papa John's is so bad that in a town with the options mentioned above they couldn't even stay in business.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I get Papa Murphy's regularly too, I don't really compare them to the traditional chains since it's kind of a different product.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004

Little Caesar's Deep Deep Dish Detroit is fantastic. $5 for 4 huge squares + a coke for lunch.

Domino's still solid for $7.99 for a large with 3-toppings. Pepperoni, bacon mushroom.

Costco - Its not good, its a goopy undercooked over-sauced mess.

Round Table - $25 for a Maui Zaui, expensive but a great pie

$3 rising crust Great Value pizzas are quite good as are the Signature Select- avoid the Supreme - water logged vegetables make the pie goopy. Pepperoni is best.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've been eating Papa Johns lately, for this very reason. All of my local joints except for one, have gone way down hill. My complaint of the one is that they don't cook it enough. When they do, it's great. Papa Johns gets it right 99% of the time.
Man I haven't had a national chain pizza in years, and that's because once every couple years I'll get a Domino's philly cheesesteak and that's it. Nothing else like it. Most mom and pop spots here are good or better, pretty reliably, for ny style pizza. Got a couple Neopolitan style joints as well.

I tend to get mushrooms on pizza a lot. Not a fan of places that use canned mushrooms though.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Little Caesar's Deep Deep Dish Detroit is fantastic. $5 for 4 huge squares + a coke for lunch.

Domino's still solid for $7.99 for a large with 3-toppings. Pepperoni, bacon mushroom.

Costco - Its not good, its a goopy undercooked over-sauced mess.

Round Table - $25 for a Maui Zaui, expensive but a great pie

$3 rising crust Great Value pizzas are quite good as are the Signature Select- avoid the Supreme - water logged vegetables make the pie goopy. Pepperoni is best.
My local costco made excellent pizza before the lockdown.
Then they stopped. And when they started up again they were much worse for some reason.

I used to love Little Caesars and Papa Johns but they went down in quality over the last 10 years. Also not sure why. Keep things profitable for the benefit of shareholders maybe?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Popeyes has a new Fish Sandwich coming out today. Supposed to be equal to their blockbuster Chicken Sandwich. I'm not a huge fish sandwich person, but I will try it - for science:

Reactions: Iron Woode

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
We have no less than a dozen pizza places within a 10 minute drive of me and probay a hundred within 25 miles. Some are great, some are okay. Even with that much top quality pizza surrounding me, if I am heading up 94 past Racine, I still get off at Washington and go get Rocky Rococo. I love that shit for some reason.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Popeyes has a new Fish Sandwich coming out today. Supposed to be equal to their blockbuster Chicken Sandwich. I'm not a huge fish sandwich person, but I will try it - for science:

I tried it today:

1. Eat it at the restaurant, in the parking lot in your car if you need to. It's best fresh.
2. It's crispy. Taste-wise, it's alright. I mean, I'm not a huge fish sandwich person, so I'm not one to judge all that much, but I thought it could have been really awesome, and it was just kind of "fine".
3. Honestly, personally, I think McDonald's makes a better basic fish sandwich.

Wasn't bad. Just wasn't...epic. Popeye's new chicken sandwich is outstanding; this fish version was just OK. I feel like it could be really amazing, if done right. I had a fish taco recently where they turbochef'd scallop-size & shape cod pieces, I think with a very light flour coating, and it was really really good. I'm lining up recipes to go through a fish phase pretty soon, starting with this one:

This one also looks amazing, much lighter crusting on the fish:

I'm also curious to know if cod cakes would make for a good sandwich:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
maybe yours are different but i feel like papa johns around here has gone downhill most of the big national chains.

of course, they're all selling pizzas for cheaper than they did back when i was in high school. granted, delivery is no longer free and a "large" is now 14" rather than 16", but even that isn't enough to cover the difference, i'd think.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
maybe yours are different but i feel like papa johns around here has gone downhill most of the big national chains.

of course, they're all selling pizzas for cheaper than they did back when i was in high school. granted, delivery is no longer free and a "large" is now 14" rather than 16", but even that isn't enough to cover the difference, i'd think.

The Papa Johns by me is good. They are consistent, and I know what I’m getting. However my wife doesn’t like them, so I don’t get to have it much. She prefers one of the local places. I don’t mind her favorite place, but they are far from consistent.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I will always have a soft spot for Papa John's from my college days where I constantly got half off pizza when sports teams won a game.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
The Chain pizza places have all gone to shit pretty much imho, so last March I bought an Ooni Koda pizza oven and started reading everything on pizzamaking.com forums. I'd made pizza from scratch before buying the oven but never on a regular basis. I make 10'ish a week now and am the hit of my neighborhood. I still have a spot in my heart from time to time for some Detroit style from Little Ceasers though. Learning how to really make pizza was the best thing I did during this shit of a pandemic.

Here's a pic of one I made recently, was going for NY style but it turned out different, 48 hour cold ferment dough with 20% sourdough starter in it. I have a shit phone and take crappy pictures, but it was pretty tasty. Pepperoni's cupped up nicely and had small pools of grease in them. 6 minute bake at 650'ish degrees.

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
On a whim, I added a box of Junior Mints to the brownie mix, came out pretty good. I chilled the mints in the freezer to harden them so they didn’t mush while stirring them into the batter.

• Wow
Reactions: nakedfrog and Kaido

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I tried it today:

1. Eat it at the restaurant, in the parking lot in your car if you need to. It's best fresh.
2. It's crispy. Taste-wise, it's alright. I mean, I'm not a huge fish sandwich person, so I'm not one to judge all that much, but I thought it could have been really awesome, and it was just kind of "fine".
3. Honestly, personally, I think McDonald's makes a better basic fish sandwich.

Wasn't bad. Just wasn't...epic. Popeye's new chicken sandwich is outstanding; this fish version was just OK. I feel like it could be really amazing, if done right. I had a fish taco recently where they turbochef'd scallop-size & shape cod pieces, I think with a very light flour coating, and it was really really good. I'm lining up recipes to go through a fish phase pretty soon, starting with this one:

This one also looks amazing, much lighter crusting on the fish:

I'm also curious to know if cod cakes would make for a good sandwich:

I had the fish sandwich at Popeye's and ate it in the parking lot. I too was not wowed like when I eat the chicken sandwich there. There is just not nearly enough crispy crust on the fish when you compare the two. It wasn't bad at all, still pretty good, nut just not memorable like the chicken, which is the best chicken sandwich in the biz right now.

Reactions: Kaido