The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe, I'm not a big Cheetos guy so I probably just didn't notice.

Although I've been disappointed with all of the "Flamin' Hot" stuff, Ghost pepper stuff, etc. It's all...not that hot lol. Oddly enough you don't really taste a lot of the jalapeno in the cheetos, it just has a surprisingly good flavor. I've been going to town on fancy snack trays & have been building up my inventory of "really awesome snacks" to put in my metal Lunchbots snack box lol.
I can taste a touch of the jalapeno flavor itself, but not enough to detract from the overall flavor of them (too much straight jalapeno flavor turns me off).
I don't really dig on the Flamin' Hot Cheetos/Fritos by themselves either, but inside a taco/burrito, mmmmm!

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Count me among those who like the jalapeño cheddar better than the flamin' hot, though my roommate loves the latter.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I can't imagine life without cheese.

Strike that. Reverse it. ;)

7wv6njgmtvj31.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Sir, if you attempt to proffer your nutcheese to me one more time, I'm going to have to call security.

Hey at least I'm good for a reach-around! ;)

Scrumpdilyishious !?!?! o_O

580px-Casu_Marzu_cheese.jpg

Casa Martzu may be a bit of an extreme example but nearly all cheese is still just one form or another of moldy/congealed/semi-rotten animal mucus-liquid.

The argument that "it must be okay because people have been eating it for a long time" rings hollow to me. When folks STARTED eating cheese, (much like pig-brains, bulls testicles, deadly poison blowfish, ketchup on hotdogs etc etc) it was out of necessity not by choice.

Now we do it because it's traditional or something. :confused_old:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: nakedfrog

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
McDonalds new nugget dipping sauces:

1. Cajun
2. Sweet chili

Both are meh. But it did inspire me to try some nuggets next time with regular sweet chili sauce. So maybe that will be good!

I miss their Mighty Sauce, that stuff was surprisingly decent!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So I went to CFA (Chik Fil A) around 11 a.m. this morning because I received a gift card. The place was packed with vehicles (the dining room was closed until further notice). I ordered the new spicy chicken sandwich combo with a drink and it was ok. Not great but not bad either. The one thing I realized it was not the same was the friendliness from the employees. I said "thank you" to three of them at different times at three different locations (the first to guide vehicle to which lane, the second took my order, the third gave me the order) and none of them said anything back. It used to be "my pleasure" whenever a customer said thank you, at least that how I remembered it the last time I was there.

So far I had spicy chicken sandwich from (the last few months):

- CFA
- Popeyes
- Wendy's

I still have to say Wendy's is still better than others (for now).

Still need to get from

- McD
-Zaxby
- KFC

Any other places?

Speaking of McD, saw a few ads on YouTube about BTS inspired new items.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
So I went to CFA (Chik Fil A) around 11 a.m. this morning because I received a gift card. The place was packed with vehicles (the dining room was closed until further notice). I ordered the new spicy chicken sandwich combo with a drink and it was ok. Not great but not bad either. The one thing I realized it was not the same was the friendliness from the employees. I said "thank you" to three of them at different times at three different locations (the first to guide vehicle to which lane, the second took my order, the third gave me the order) and none of them said anything back. It used to be "my pleasure" whenever a customer said thank you, at least that how I remembered it the last time I was there.

- CFA
- Popeyes
- Wendy's

Still need to get from

- McD
-Zaxby
- KFC

Any other places?

I still don't get the infatuation with CfA.

Reactions: Homerboy

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
So I went to CFA around 11 a.m. this morning because I received a gift card. The place was packed with vehicles (the dining room was closed until further notice). I ordered the new spicy chicken sandwich combo with a drink and it was ok. Not great but not bad either. The one thing I realized it was not the same was the friendliness from the employees. I said "thank you" to three of them at different times at three different locations (the first to guide vehicle to which lane, the second took my order, the third gave me the order) and none of them said anything back. It used to be "my pleasure" whenever a customer said thank you, at least that how I remembered it the last time I was there.

- CFA
- Popeyes
- Wendy's

Still need to get from

- McD
-Zaxby
- KFC

Any other places?

I miss the Spicy Nuggets from McDonalds, they were pretty decent! Plus the Mighty Sauce.

Most CFA's are really good, but there are some that are sub-par.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Had cut down on red meat quite a bit for a couple years but been on a bit of a hamburger run lately. I was getting Bubba burgers to keep in the freezer but tried the Costco grass raised frozen burger patties and to me they are just as good and are easier to cook on the stovetop. And certainly cheaper. Good fast food.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I still don't get the infatuation with CfA.

Me neither. As I said, I went there because I received a gift card so the meal was very much free for me.

But the darn place was busy and it was almost always busy and another place in the other side of town. I never saw those two places with no customer.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
CFA is one of the few fast foods I eat now. I buy the regular CFA sandwich and then add my own mayo, cheese, sliced onions, tomato, and butter lettuce at home. This saves me money, and I end up with far superior chicken sandwich. Over the years, CFA chicken breast have shrunk in size while the amount of seasoning remained the same. I would say the chicken breast at CFA is about 30% smaller than back in the 1990s. So the sandwich have gotten saltier. But if you add the veggies and make it deluxe, it's much better. I know you can just order deluxe at the restaurant but I like adding my own cheese and veggies. I have better stuff at home. And I usually get order of medium waffle fries and milkshake. I don't drink soda anymore so I don't order the combo.

CFA in Atlanta are all amazing and service is still off the charts great. Drive through lines move super quick even with the long lines, and I always order ahead of time using the app. CFA app is extremely well programmed and easy to use. I think I have about 6k points which is good for 10 free CFA chicken sandwiches.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
CFA is one of the few fast foods I eat now. I buy the regular CFA sandwich and then add my own mayo, cheese, sliced onions, tomato, and butter lettuce at home. This saves me money, and I end up with far superior chicken sandwich.

Do you reheat your sandwich at home? Eat it cold? Live close enough that it doesn't matter?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Do you reheat your sandwich at home? Eat it cold? Live close enough that it doesn't matter?
I live in Atlanta so there's CFA everywhere. There's one less than 1/2 mile from my house so I place the order using the app and pick it up using the drive through. There are 6 different CFA less than 5 miles from my house. And 21 different CFA locations less than 10 miles from my house.

I don't reheat the sandwich because it's still hot when I get home. Same with the waffle fries.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Finally got to try Bojangles chicken at a layover in Charlotte, N.C airport. It was awesome, especially for fast food in an airport. I got a big fried chicken dinner with Cajun beans and mac and cheese. And the biscuit was great. Too bad they are not where I live :(

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
CFA is one of the few fast foods I eat now. I buy the regular CFA sandwich and then add my own mayo, cheese, sliced onions, tomato, and butter lettuce at home. This saves me money, and I end up with far superior chicken sandwich. Over the years, CFA chicken breast have shrunk in size while the amount of seasoning remained the same. I would say the chicken breast at CFA is about 30% smaller than back in the 1990s. So the sandwich have gotten saltier. But if you add the veggies and make it deluxe, it's much better. I know you can just order deluxe at the restaurant but I like adding my own cheese and veggies. I have better stuff at home. And I usually get order of medium waffle fries and milkshake. I don't drink soda anymore so I don't order the combo.

CFA in Atlanta are all amazing and service is still off the charts great. Drive through lines move super quick even with the long lines, and I always order ahead of time using the app. CFA app is extremely well programmed and easy to use. I think I have about 6k points which is good for 10 free CFA chicken sandwiches.
It's funny to me that you say this as the only time I've had chicken fillet was in Atlanta and I feel no need to ever go back.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I live in Atlanta so there's CFA everywhere. There's one less than 1/2 mile from my house so I place the order using the app and pick it up using the drive through. There are 6 different CFA less than 5 miles from my house. And 21 different CFA locations less than 10 miles from my house.

I don't reheat the sandwich because it's still hot when I get home. Same with the waffle fries.
Yep, that works. The closest CFA to me is 20 minutes away.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
A few days ago, I finally tried the famous $3.99 spicy chicken sandwich from Popeyes. You know, the one that ran out of stock from all the frenzy a while back. It was ok, not bad but not great either. I guess because it was a bit undercooked for my taste. Will try another one from another location to be sure.

So I went to another Popeyes today to get another shot at the $3.99 spicy chicken sandwich. The same order (1 spicy chicken sandwich and 1 order of Cajun fries to go). This time the sandwich was a bit better but just a little more salty and the fries was just warm and not hot.

My final verdict - it was ok, 7.8/10 scale. Not sure why it was so in heavy demand when it first came out.

Oh and Popeyes is paying $10/hour to start if you want to work there from the sign nears the entrance.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Yep, that works. The closest CFA to me is 20 minutes away.
Mine is 2 miles away, in a mall. With no free parking. So no, even if I loved their products it's just not worth it.

I had it once, it was ok, nothing special. Waffle fries are decent.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Tried the new BK chicken sandwich. Meh. It was kind of dry and very underwhelming. It looked good, had a lot of potential. I'll stick to Popeye's, they've won the chicken wars among the biggest chains. The chicken shack is amazing, but it's also pricier, and also the shack is not nearly as big of a chain as the others.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I also tried the new spicy Ch'King, I agree it was a little more dry than Popeye's, but it was also more flavorful. Other than that they're kinda neck-and-neck for me. I skipped the "savory" sauce (since that's usually code for "flavored mayo" and/or "Thousand Island variant" and I hate both of those)

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Tried the new BK chicken sandwich. Meh. It was kind of dry and very underwhelming. It looked good, had a lot of potential. I'll stick to Popeye's, they've won the chicken wars among the biggest chains. The chicken shack is amazing, but it's also pricier, and also the shack is not nearly as big of a chain as the others.
Is there a new new one? I tried one a couple months ago and it was dry. Ditto McD's.

Popeye's is still easily #1 for me, CFA is #2.