The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I tried Dunkin Donut's new Chorizo breakfast bowl:

It was actually surprisingly good! One of the better breakfast bowls I've had, tbh! Normally I'm not a big fan of their breakfast foods as they never quite nail it, but I would definitely buy this one again!

I also splurged & got a glazed pumpkin donut. We have really good donut places where I live that far outclass Dunkin, but this one was actually pretty good...I'd get one again to go with a breakfast bowl lol.

bowl.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I also tried Dairy Queen's Butterscotch dipped cone the other day. The qualifier is that I think DQ's ice cream has gone downhill, but I wanted to try the Butterscotch flavor. It was kinda meh. Nice to eat on a sunny day at lunch, but I ended up stopping by Chick Fil A to console myself with one of their ridiculous Frosted Lemonades (their Frosted Limeades are also fantastic).

butterscotch.jpg

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I also tried Dairy Queen's Butterscotch dipped cone the other day. The qualifier is that I think DQ's ice cream has gone downhill, but I wanted to try the Butterscotch flavor. It was kinda meh. Nice to eat on a sunny day at lunch, but I ended up stopping by Chick Fil A to console myself with one of their ridiculous Frosted Lemonades (their Frosted Limeades are also fantastic).

View attachment 10881
Is that new? They've had Dilly bars in that flavor forever, can't recall if I ever got a dipped cone in that flavor.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Tried the new Cheese-shell Chalupa from Taco Bell. Great idea...not fantastic in execution. I tried all 3 flavors (beef, steak, chicken). I managed to get through one whole one & half of each of the others, but it was just too much, so I ate the fillings out of the rest of them.

tbh I thought they would be amazing, but they were kind of hard to stomach & get through. Kind of a dense shell that was just hard to get down. Taco Bell comes up with some pretty good stuff sometimes, but I won't be buying this one again. It wasn't bad, it was just...hard to power through & eat, lol.

View attachment 10878
I happened to have one of these yesterday too. It's not bad. All they did is put shredded cheese on the grill and put the chalupa shell on top of it until it fried together. I do the same thing when I make grilled cheese.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

View attachment 10881

I know what you mean. Seems soft-serve is getting more and more bland. For my money, McDonald's of all places has the best tasting soft serve.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I happened to have one of these yesterday too. It's not bad. All they did is put shredded cheese on the grill and put the chalupa shell on top of it until it fried together. I do the same thing when I make grilled cheese.

Yup, same here lol. I actually make cheese (cheese only) shells too, they're ridiculously good!

I started out making them exactly as they do in the pictures above, with a spoon & all, and my family ended up liking them so much that I got an actual mold:

Reactions: Fritzo

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That's it.
OK, I didn't realize people were posting links. I'm relieved.

Yeah, I don't like it at all. I've been trying to link my links as text-only links, but sometimes it seems to override them. Oh well. Embrace the meh future.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I tried Dunkin Donut's new Chorizo breakfast bowl:

It was actually surprisingly good! One of the better breakfast bowls I've had, tbh! Normally I'm not a big fan of their breakfast foods as they never quite nail it, but I would definitely buy this one again!

I also splurged & got a glazed pumpkin donut. We have really good donut places where I live that far outclass Dunkin, but this one was actually pretty good...I'd get one again to go with a breakfast bowl lol.

View attachment 10880
when are they going to bring back the breakfast burritos? those were so yummy and so filling.

Mar 11, 2004

View attachment 10881

They've gone way downhill and their prices have gone way up.

I used to love Dilly Bars, but they're like almost 4 times the price (I remember getting them for $0.50 in the mid 90s, they're now like $1.89) and smaller and cheaper made (they don't even do the little twirl on the face any longer, they're not even round anymore either, they're almost octagon shaped with a flat face). They're no better than cheaper frozen bars you can get in any grocery store, where you can almost get an entire box for the price of like one or two Dilly Bars.

Their Blizzards are good but not better than typical similar ice cream flavors (Breyers, Dryers, Blue Bunny, etc), and you can get an entire quart for the price of a large Blizzard. But then that's true of a lot of places now (I rarely get ice cream, er I mean custard, at Culver's because its high priced and not all that great I don't think, same with Freddy's Frozen Custard, and don't even get me started on the places where you end up paying like $5-10 for a smallish cup of frozen yogurt with some topings on it). Saw a recent one that was doing that but their twist on things was honey, where they have different varieties (including colors) of honey that they drizzle on. And then others that are doing cookie dough or cookies. There's even one that does marshmallow as the base instead of ice cream/yogurt. I don't know how some of those places stay in business.

You can get chocolate dipped cones at the McDonalds down here. They're way better than DQ. Although its near impossible to beat Costco's frozen yogurt cups (although some cheap out a bit and just circle the cup so the inside is hollow, others will fill the cup and then even give swirl or give a big dallop on the top (that is about the size of a single ice cream cone at McDs; the rest of the cup is like 2-3 of the McDs cones).

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
when are they going to bring back the breakfast burritos? those were so yummy and so filling.

I switched to making my own...I just make a bunch & freeze them, and do different flavors every time.

The only exception is sometimes I get Taco Bell's breakfast burrito because it's reaaaaaaaaaly good lol.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My one dietary indiscretion these days is less than an ounce of some kind of chocolate treat, actually a combination of them (that add up to less than an ounce) pretty much daily. I figure that other lifestyle actions make it pretty inconsequential, however I really enjoy good chocolate.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
I’ve become a big fan of Five Guys - tomato, onion, grilled onion, pickle, mayo, ketchup, lettuce .... it’s just like a good ole whopper from back in the days (without the flame grill goodness)

Reactions: RossMAN

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I switched to making my own...I just make a bunch & freeze them, and do different flavors every time.

The only exception is sometimes I get Taco Bell's breakfast burrito because it's reaaaaaaaaaly good lol.
do you have any recipes to share? that sounds like a good plan. i just have to watch my fat intake with chronic pancreatitis or it gets really really bad for me.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I’ve become a big fan of Five Guys - tomato, onion, grilled onion, pickle, mayo, ketchup, lettuce .... it’s just like a good ole whopper from back in the days (without the flame grill goodness)
yeah but its so much grease with the five guys burger. lol

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
do you have any recipes to share? that sounds like a good plan. i just have to watch my fat intake with chronic pancreatitis or it gets really really bad for me.

Ouch! So a really good trick I learned was to grill the burrito in butter to make it nice & crispy on the outside:

If you're going low-fat, then switch to low-fat cheese & stuff like turkey sausage & turkey bacon & low-fat sour cream. Fold them, griddle them, and then let them cool on a cookie rack, then wrap in Press 'N Seal tightly, put those into a Ziploc freezer bag, and chuck in the freezer. I create a variety of flavors. For low-fat, I would recommend steak, 90/10 ground beef, turkey sausage, bean & cheese (low-fat cheese), and if you want to try something different - tofu. Use spices liberally & sauces as necessary. Sometimes I eat them straight-up, sometimes I dip them in salsa, and lately I've been doing smothered burritos. This recipe has a good trick:

So the trick here (since the burrito is already cooked) is to mix the cream of mushroom soup with the sour cream & top the burrito with that, then finish it with shredded cheese, and then bake it until the cheese melts & the sour cream mixture warms up. It's a bit of a different flavor on breakfast burritos, but pretty good if you want something hearty in the morning!

Reactions: Linux23

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Ouch! So a really good trick I learned was to grill the burrito in butter to make it nice & crispy on the outside:

If you're going low-fat, then switch to low-fat cheese & stuff like turkey sausage & turkey bacon & low-fat sour cream. Fold them, griddle them, and then let them cool on a cookie rack, then wrap in Press 'N Seal tightly, put those into a Ziploc freezer bag, and chuck in the freezer. I create a variety of flavors. For low-fat, I would recommend steak, 90/10 ground beef, turkey sausage, bean & cheese (low-fat cheese), and if you want to try something different - tofu. Use spices liberally & sauces as necessary. Sometimes I eat them straight-up, sometimes I dip them in salsa, and lately I've been doing smothered burritos. This recipe has a good trick:

So the trick here (since the burrito is already cooked) is to mix the cream of mushroom soup with the sour cream & top the burrito with that, then finish it with shredded cheese, and then bake it until the cheese melts & the sour cream mixture warms up. It's a bit of a different flavor on breakfast burritos, but pretty good if you want something hearty in the morning!
awesome and definitely will give this a trial run. thx kaido.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
awesome and definitely will give this a trial run. thx kaido.

To freeze - let cool, wrap in Press 'N Seal (waaaaay better than Saran Wrap), put in a Ziploc gallon freezer bag, and toss in the freezer.

It's easy to make a variety of flavors (just use a Sharpie to label the different bags of flavors). You can eat them plain, or with a sauce to dip or cover them in (ex. Frank's hot sauce or Sriracha or salsa), or do the smothered version (been using stuff like crema fresca lately with pretty good results!).

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Went to the Amish hardware store today, and they had the most amazing hard pretzels I've ever had; Martins Special Handmade. I've never had a pretzel this good before. I'm currently deciding whether I should order from the company(not too much more expensive if I buy 8#), or go back to the hardware store to get a bunch more.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Totally addicted to Chick-Fil-A's breakfast bowl, grilled chicken, light cheese covered in their jalapeno salsa.