The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Anyone try these yet? Dairy Queen.

53376428_342658849687437_2979670049822661792_n.jpg

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Avoid McD's Cheesy Bacon Fries (on their Worldwide Favorites menu). I say this as a big fan of McD's fries. These are their regular salted fries, covered in a salty cheese-ish sauce, with bacon-colored bits of salt, in a covered cardboard box. By the time you get to eat them, the sauna (i.e. the box) has steamed away any semblance of crispness out of the fries, turning the whole ensemble into a soggy tri-colored salt pile. I mean overwhelmingly salty.

Perhaps better if they started with unsalted fries, but no, they just grab the ready-to-go fries, and dump on the yellow glop and brown salt nuggets.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Oreo Marshmallow Moon:

Package glows in the dark, pretty cool. Filling flavor (purple color) tastes like those dry marshmallows you get in breakfast cereals, like Lucky Charms. Those are actually fun to eat, but in an Oreo...not so much. The taste contrast works in the cereal, but in the Oreo, (1) you don't have the cereal to contrast the marshmallow against, (2), the "marshmallow" is creamy, and if you grew up on the cereal, then you brain wants to bite into it & have some texture, and (3) it's not a great pairing with the chocolate cookie. It tastes spot-on to the breakfast cereal, not regular marshmallow. I was expecting like a regular marshmallow flavor. This might have worked if they had used the yellow (golden) Oreo cookie instead. Overall, not my favor, will not buy again.

So far, the Oreo winners are:

1. Thin Oreos (if you like Pringles, and regular Oreos, you'll love these!)
2. Double Stuft (Mega stuffed is too much cream imo, but I prefer Double over regular Oreos)
3. Dark chocolate Oreos (one of the best flavors out there, and not really dark, so much as super chocolately...I didn't care for the Chocolate Creme version, the Dark Chocolate version is far suprior)
4. Fudge-dipped (white or chocolate)

I've tried the Oreo candybar & didn't care for that either. There's a specific Oreo-ness that I look for, and oddly enough, both the thin & the Double-stuffed Oreos embody that better than the regular Oreo, haha.

Random pic of the packaging off google: (can I just say how much I love the Lift tab? such a great idea)

marsh.jpg

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Way back in my youth when I could get away with that kind of thing, I would separate the cookie, eat the filling, and throw both parts of the cookie away :p
That or make a quad stuffed, so the mega would be right for me... if I were willing to spend that kind of calories on Oreos, which I'm not.
Curse this feeble, ancient body!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Way back in my youth when I could get away with that kind of thing, I would separate the cookie, eat the filling, and throw both parts of the cookie away :p
That or make a quad stuffed, so the mega would be right for me... if I were willing to spend that kind of calories on Oreos, which I'm not.
Curse this feeble, ancient body!

Ah. In that case, you'd want the new Most Stuf Oreos, which are even thicker than the Mega Stuft Oreos! 13 grams of filling as opposed to the standard 3 grams you get with a regular Oreo:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/food...exactly-how-much-creme-is-in-a-most-stuf-oreo

most.jpg

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I did like the yellow Oreos more when I tried them a few years back.
Yeah, I'd eat one of those Most Stuf ones, but I don't need a whole bag hanging around :D

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Not sure where current Halo Top buzz comes from ...

Subway's testing market demand for Halo Top milkshakes in select markets in the US.
I look forward to trying one myself between July 22 - Sept. 4.

Starting July 22, the day after National Ice Cream Day, participating restaurants will have shakes in three classic flavors: vanilla bean, chocolate and strawberry. The 16-ounce shakes each have at least 20 grams of protein, according to Halo Top.

If you want a "hand-spun" dessert, the 350-calories-or-less snack will be available in the following six test markets through Sept. 4:

Colorado Springs, Colorado;
Hartford, Connecticut;
Longview and Tyler, Texas;
Salt Lake City;
Toledo, Ohio;
and West Palm Beach, Florida.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lo-top-milkshakes-1-000-locations/1621053001/

0157c72a-064f-4d3d-89b0-dc4da2682d74-Subway_Halo_Top_milkshake.jpg

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I had a register coupon print out for some Halo Top, so I tried it. Decent for low calorie ice cream. Haven't bought more.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Got some yogurt today packed in a terra cotta pot, La Fermeire. Spendy; $3 for 5oz, but it's pretty good. I got the orange blossom honey...

http://www.lafermiere.us/our-products/?product=1

Has a unique flavor I can't quite put my finger on. Kind of herbal. The terra cotta pot is what sold me. It's a really cool container. They pitch it as being an environmental choice. Pretty debatable imo. Firing clay at high temperature in Spain, then shipping it around the world? It's heavy, and takes a lot of fuel every step of the way. You might have a point if the whole process never left the county it was sold in, and the containers got returned to be used again, but it's one hell of a "disposable" container. I'll be keeping mine of course. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but it's a pretty little thing.

edit:
A link to the company that makes the packaging...

https://cermer.com/
Found another one in the fancy pots; Culina...

http://www.culinayogurt.com/our-flavors

It's a fake yogurt that tastes quite good, but again, it's expensive. I got the blueberry lavender. Highly recommended if you like yogurt but can't have dairy, or even just cause. I like trying different things, and I love a quality container.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Costco's Very Berry Sundae: (I think this was the name...just strawberries tho, no other berries)

* $1.75
* Easily feeds an adult. I couldn't even finish mine. Awesome!
* Vanilla soft-serve in a cup (decently thick!)
* Real strawberries in strawberry sauce

I've been disappointed in McDonald's soft-serve lately & extremely disappointed in Dairy Queen's soft-serve for the last couple of years. It's some emulsified garbage, not real ice cream. Costco's soft-serve isn't the "best" soft-serve, but on the scale of Terrible, Bad, Mediocre, Good, and Great, it's a solid Good. And for $1.75 with strawberries, and it actually feeds a grown adult male, I'm willing to bump it up to Great. 10/10 will definitely be a part of all of my future Costco visits lol. Not my pic:

swirl.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Luna1968

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Pure Pineapple & Passionfruit Layered Fruit Bars:

I tried these as a sample at Costco and they are DELICIOUS. Costco had a dual-pack that included Strawberry-Banana (meh) & Pineapple-Passionfruit (YUM!). Texture is kind of like a "That's It" fruit bar, so a little bit gummy. Kind of like a Fruit Rollup, but thick (small bar). Here's the Costco pack: (wasn't a fan of the other flavor)

https://www.costco.com/Pure-Organic...ack,-0.63-oz,-24-count.product.100405492.html

Amazon sells a 20-pack of just the passionfruit-pineapple for $35 shipped, so $1.75 a pop if you order online. A bit pricey imo; don't know if they sell these locally or not:

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Organic-Passionfruit-Gluten-Free-Ingredients/dp/B00BS45746

Official website:

https://shop.pureorganic.com/Pure-P...ruit-Bars/p/PURE-100056&c=PureBar@LayeredBars

Ingredients list:

* Apple Puree Concentrate
* Apple Juice Concentrate
* Natural Flavor
* Passion Fruit Juice Concentrate
* Pineapple Juice Concentrate
* Citrus Pectin
* Lemon Juice Concentrate
* Vegetable and Fruit Juice for Color (Carrot, Blueberry)
* Citric Acid
* Ascorbic Acid

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Not sure where current Halo Top buzz comes from ...

Subway's testing market demand for Halo Top milkshakes in select markets in the US.
I look forward to trying one myself between July 22 - Sept. 4.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lo-top-milkshakes-1-000-locations/1621053001/

0157c72a-064f-4d3d-89b0-dc4da2682d74-Subway_Halo_Top_milkshake.jpg
I tried one yesterday. I'm in one of their six select markets for this trial run.
It was ... $4.50 approx. I was thinking it was 280 calories for some reason - which doesn't match this photo. I'd say the cup was about 10 oz. It's displayed in a cabinet on the counter. When you order, they take the lid off one and attach a bubble-top lid with a hole. Then they tear open a pre-packaged additive - some milky juice - and pour it onto the frozen ice cream. The cup is then hand-held under a powered agitator rod and "Hand-spun" as advertised - except the rod is doing the spinning. After a bit you have a milkshake.

I had the strawberrry. Didn't taste unusual or special. Maybe a bit less sweet and more salt than other shakes. First time trying Halo Top ice cream so ... I had no expectations. I'd be willing to give the Vanilla Bean a shot.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I tried one yesterday. I'm in one of their six select markets for this trial run.
It was ... $4.50 approx. I was thinking it was 280 calories for some reason - which doesn't match this photo. I'd say the cup was about 10 oz. It's displayed in a cabinet on the counter. When you order, they take the lid off one and attach a bubble-top lid with a hole. Then they tear open a pre-packaged additive - some milky juice - and pour it onto the frozen ice cream. The cup is then hand-held under a powered agitator rod and "Hand-spun" as advertised - except the rod is doing the spinning. After a bit you have a milkshake.

I had the strawberrry. Didn't taste unusual or special. Maybe a bit less sweet and more salt than other shakes. First time trying Halo Top ice cream so ... I had no expectations. I'd be willing to give the Vanilla Bean a shot.

I swore off Subway years ago, but I may revisit them:

1. Halo Top milkshakes
2. King's Hawaiian bread
3. Beyond Meat meatless meat

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a27721864/subway-kings-hawaiian-rolls-subs-testing/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/7/2...ara-sub-meatless-restaurant-testing-us-canada

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Burger King's Impossible Whopper:

Tried the new one today, just rolled out to all 50 states:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...per-vegan-burger-going-nationwide/1821429001/

I think it was $1.50 more than a regular Whopper where I live.

Pros:
* Zero grease
* Texture was spot-on
* Mouthfeel was similar (minus the grease)

Cons:
* No meaty taste (no grease, no meat flavor)
* Slight planty (like gamey but for plants) taste (not super noticeable if you get pickles, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, etc.)
* A bit more expensive than a regular Whopper
* Ingredients list make me question whether it's really a healthier alternative (ex. "yeast extract" is the new word for MSG)
* Probably made on shared equipment, thus not vegan (plus mayo has eggs, and if you get cheese...)

The price is a lot better than when I first tried the Impossible Burger & Beyond Burger previously (was over $10 at another chain). In terms of texture, if you compare it to a standard BK or McDonalds patty, it's pretty dang spot-on. The one I had before had a much different texture; the one today was essentially a meat patty. If they passed this off as a real-meat patty in high schools, no one would know the difference (given the quality of high school lunch food).

I think they'd be wise to add a beefy flavor to it. They already do it with fake cheese (like canned Easy Cheese) & various fruit snacks & slurpees & whatnot, so they could probably make some lab-made "natural flavoring" to emulate beef molecules & add some olive-oil grease or something. Here are the ingredients:
Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

I will try it again, but with cheese this time. Aside from the lack of beefy, greasy flavor (which is, to me, what makes a Whopper a Whopper), the texture & chew was spot-on. Cook it in some bacon grease & add some liquid smoke & it'd probably be a fantastic-fast food burger, haha!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Pure Pineapple & Passionfruit Layered Fruit Bars:

I tried these as a sample at Costco and they are DELICIOUS. Costco had a dual-pack that included Strawberry-Banana (meh) & Pineapple-Passionfruit (YUM!). Texture is kind of like a "That's It" fruit bar, so a little bit gummy. Kind of like a Fruit Rollup, but thick (small bar). Here's the Costco pack: (wasn't a fan of the other flavor)

https://www.costco.com/Pure-Organic...ack,-0.63-oz,-24-count.product.100405492.html

Amazon sells a 20-pack of just the passionfruit-pineapple for $35 shipped, so $1.75 a pop if you order online. A bit pricey imo; don't know if they sell these locally or not:

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Organic-Passionfruit-Gluten-Free-Ingredients/dp/B00BS45746

Official website:

https://shop.pureorganic.com/Pure-P...ruit-Bars/p/PURE-100056&c=PureBar@LayeredBars

Ingredients list:

* Apple Puree Concentrate
* Apple Juice Concentrate
* Natural Flavor
* Passion Fruit Juice Concentrate
* Pineapple Juice Concentrate
* Citrus Pectin
* Lemon Juice Concentrate
* Vegetable and Fruit Juice for Color (Carrot, Blueberry)
* Citric Acid
* Ascorbic Acid

I like how we've managed to convince ourselves that this candy is healthy. "Look hun, passion fruit! That has to be good for you, right?!?"

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I like how we've managed to convince ourselves that this candy is healthy. "Look hun, passion fruit! That has to be good for you, right?!?"

Zero protein
Zero fat
Zero fiber
Zero Vitamin A
Zero Vitamin C
Zero Calcium
Zero Iron

...14 grams of carbs. Yeah, it's pure sugar :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I went back for Round 2 on the Impossible Burger, this time with my standard order:

1. All default toppings
2. With cheese
3. Add heavy mayo

tbh...it was virtually indistinguishable from their regular patty with this combination. No greasy beefy taste, but that was the only thing missing, and that was far more noticeable without the cheese. The cheese make a big difference in making me believe that it was a real beef patty.

No negative stomach effects FWIW.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tried the new Cheese-shell Chalupa from Taco Bell. Great idea...not fantastic in execution. I tried all 3 flavors (beef, steak, chicken). I managed to get through one whole one & half of each of the others, but it was just too much, so I ate the fillings out of the rest of them.

tbh I thought they would be amazing, but they were kind of hard to stomach & get through. Kind of a dense shell that was just hard to get down. Taco Bell comes up with some pretty good stuff sometimes, but I won't be buying this one again. It wasn't bad, it was just...hard to power through & eat, lol.

chaulpa.jpg

Reactions: Luna1968