The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So yeah my kid dumped some gummy bears in the sausage feeder while I was tying the sausages er I mean totally cool hipster recipe! You'll love it!

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Bill Gates getting a burger:

yfgpcqi57za21.jpg

Reactions: Muse

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Honey Baked Ham makes an excellent ham sandwich. And omfg, the honey mustard is out of this world.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
BK original chicken sandwich is so much more better with the addition of bacon and cheese.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Got some yogurt today packed in a terra cotta pot, La Fermeire. Spendy; $3 for 5oz, but it's pretty good. I got the orange blossom honey...

http://www.lafermiere.us/our-products/?product=1

Has a unique flavor I can't quite put my finger on. Kind of herbal. The terra cotta pot is what sold me. It's a really cool container. They pitch it as being an environmental choice. Pretty debatable imo. Firing clay at high temperature in Spain, then shipping it around the world? It's heavy, and takes a lot of fuel every step of the way. You might have a point if the whole process never left the county it was sold in, and the containers got returned to be used again, but it's one hell of a "disposable" container. I'll be keeping mine of course. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but it's a pretty little thing.

edit:
A link to the company that makes the packaging...

https://cermer.com/

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My local CVS had limited-edition strawberry Twinkies. First, the new Twinkies (under Chinese ownership) have a funky taste (even the regular ones). Second, the strawberry filling is excellent. Strawberry puree is listed as an ingredient, so it actually tastes good & not like a Starburst version of strawberry.

I own a Twinkie baking pan & will try to replicate it this weekend. I'll either try using roasted strawberries or else do the freeze-dried strawberry trick.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Also at CVS, I got some "Sour Patch Xploderz" gummy candies. These are probably the best gummy candy I've ever eaten. They are way better than they have any right to be, lol.

They aren't very sour at all, and while they are sweet, they aren't quite saccharine sweet. They're kind of like a Gusher mixed with a gummy Lifesaver with the sandy sugar coating on the outside. I will be keeping these in a jar on my desk from now on...

sour.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
If they were more sour, I'd be more interested.

Yeah, they're like "hardly any sour, if at all" level.

I'm usually disappointed in gummy candies because they're either ridiculously sweet or else fairly flavorless. These ones are just perfect...great texture, really sweet without being over the top, and perfect for a delicious sugar hit.

Also, I feel like the gummi bears we had as kids were like a million times better than anything they sell today. On a side note, if you haven't read the glorious reviews of the sugar-free gummy bears on Amazon, well:

https://www.amazon.com/Albanese-Candy-Assorted-Sugar-Free-Flavor/dp/B00DE4GWWY/

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Heh, I have read them, I was thinking about buying some for the office and warning everyone except the one fucking jerk that I hated. But he's no longer with the company, so that worked out.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Not many great dining options in my town but it's somewhat satisfying to see subpar chains closing their doors due to lack of support. Gives me hope.

A few weeks back the local Five Guys closed. That place was terrible. Five Guys as a chain may or may not be bad but the one in our town was awful. Surprised it lasted this long.

Just saw today that the local Papa John's went under over the weekend. Goodbye to the worst pizza place in town. The wife went to their ribbon cutting in 2016 she was on the Chamber of Commerce board or some such. She got a card for twelve free pizzas. We couldn't use them, after a couple of free press they were just too gross to eat. Not worth the money, even for free!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The Five Guys I normally go to is great, went to one downtown because we were nearby, and have never gone back to that one. The burgers and fries were both disappointing.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Bill Gates getting a burger:

yfgpcqi57za21.jpg

Can you imagine being famous and trying to do something simple like that, constantly worrying crowds of people were going to start coming up and bothering you. I don't think I could handle fame.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Not many great dining options in my town but it's somewhat satisfying to see subpar chains closing their doors due to lack of support. Gives me hope.

A few weeks back the local Five Guys closed. That place was terrible. Five Guys as a chain may or may not be bad but the one in our town was awful. Surprised it lasted this long.

Just saw today that the local Papa John's went under over the weekend. Goodbye to the worst pizza place in town. The wife went to their ribbon cutting in 2016 she was on the Chamber of Commerce board or some such. She got a card for twelve free pizzas. We couldn't use them, after a couple of free press they were just too gross to eat. Not worth the money, even for free!

My favorite story is from my wife when she was a police officer:

"We worked 3rd shift and would often go in and grab a pizza because we could keep it in the car and eat it between calls. Papa John's ran a promotion to give officers free pizza, so we got one. Neither of us liked the sweet sauce or the bland crust. We saw a homeless guy, pulled over and offered it to him. The guy took a look at the box being handed to him and said "I can't eat that Papa John's crap! It gives me the shits!"

Papa John's- so bad even the homeless won't eat it :D

(Honestly they've improved a bit since those days. Their sauce still sucks though)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My local CVS had limited-edition strawberry Twinkies. First, the new Twinkies (under Chinese ownership) have a funky taste (even the regular ones). Second, the strawberry filling is excellent. Strawberry puree is listed as an ingredient, so it actually tastes good & not like a Starburst version of strawberry.

I own a Twinkie baking pan & will try to replicate it this weekend. I'll either try using roasted strawberries or else do the freeze-dried strawberry trick.

My local mini-mart got in some more flavors of Twinkies:

1. Chocolate twinkies: Not good. Just like, cocoa powder (not bitter, but getting close) mixed in with a regular twinkie. Chocolate zingers are a million times better.

2. Chocolate peanut-butter-cream twinkies: Disappointing, primarily due to the not-so-great chocolate flavor. I think I may have reviewed this one before. Meh. Could've been awesome!

3. Fudge-dipped twinkies: This is a regular twinkie, dipped in chocolate. It was pretty decent (the chocolate coating was waaaaay better than the chocolate twinkies), but I've had it before & that one had the same problem - the shell falls right off the twinkie. Messy to eat.

All of them still had that weird funky aftertaste. Even after looking at the ingredients list, I don't know what ingredient is causing that effect; my guess would be that it's hidden in one of the natural or artificial flavorings. I used to live near a bakery that made custom-flavored twinkies (raspberry-coconut, legit peanut butter-chocolate ones, etc.) & they were so good that I bought a twinkie pan to make them at home. I don't make them super often, but they're always pretty dang good when I do!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i mentioned that to my boss at the bank drive thru years ago when he was making somewhat inappropriate comments about the tellers. "you know they can hear you, right?"

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Papa John's- so bad even the homeless won't eat it :D

(Honestly they've improved a bit since those days. Their sauce still sucks though)
I eat pizza at events, never order it myself. I make it at home on occasion using my homemade sauce which I can from home grown fully vine ripened tomatoes. I made some sauce last year that I labeled Italian Sauce Supreme, because it was just the greatest imaginable. I can eat it right out of the jar. So sweet you'd swear I added sugar, but no, the tomatoes are just that sweet. It gets sweeter and thicker the more you cook it down before canning.

Reactions: Fritzo