The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Inspired by this thread, Shake Shack is doing a hot chicken sandwich.
Yes they are, the heat on mine was uneven, but overall a winner. Will try the extra hot next round.
Was there with other people, so I got the hot, and someone else got the regular and we exchanged samples.
It’s superior to CfA in every way and is priced accordingly.

$15 all in for the sandwich / drink / fries.
The meat itself still tastes better at CfA, but the breading at Shake Shack was superior. Dunno how much drinks are, but seems like probably a few bucks cheaper in Denver than where you are, sandwich was like $6 and fries $2-3. Overall it's better, but given the price premium, it oughta be.
Tasty burger too, I'll have to try it again when I get the chance but it might be #1 for chains.
The Chik'n Shack demolishes all other fried fast-food chicken sandwiches. Just be sure to order extra sauce, because it is delicious.
I can't vouch for the herb mayo, since I don't dig on mayo.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I tried Freddy's bacon double cheeseburger. It's pretty good, only a smidgen below A&W. The outside of the patties are nicely charred. The inside could stand a bit more cooking but it wasn't raw. Would eat again.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Went back to Freddy's and tried the patty melt combo.

The patty melt consists of their regular hamburger patties on soggy toast with uninspired grilled onions. Would not get again.

The fries are sized for a Barbie Doll House, more like shoestring potatos. Would not get again.

The chocolate shake was like store brand chocolate ice cream. The stupid double width straws Freddy's uses evokes the phrase, "suck a golf ball through a garden hose". Would not get again.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I like the fries there (yes, they are shoestring cut). I like a good patty melt too, but they use rye bread there IIRC, so I only had it there once.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
1. Go to McDonalds
2. Open BK app
3. If you're within 600 feet of a McDonalds, it will let you order a Whopper for 1 penny

BRB

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
^ Sounds like an urban legend.

I guess it's not. Supposedly a "prank" on McDonalds(?) So you drive to McDs, order a Whopper from your car in the parking lot, then go to Burger King to pick up your cold sandwich.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I found a McD and BK at the north end of town that are 500 feet apart, so wouldn't have to go through any of the nonsense. I might have to try it.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
^ Sounds like an urban legend.

I guess it's not. Supposedly a "prank" on McDonalds(?) So you drive to McDs, order a Whopper from your car in the parking lot, then go to Burger King to pick up your cold sandwich.

Nah, it pops up in the BK app. I just went. Parked at a McDonalds, got the coupon, and it said I had one hour to redeem it. There was a BK right across the street, so I just drove over & got it. 1-cent burger FTW!

Well, almost. I wanted cheese on it. +60 cents lol. So 61-cent Whopper. Not bad, not bad...

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I found a McD and BK at the north end of town that are 500 feet apart, so wouldn't have to go through any of the nonsense. I might have to try it.

Kinda felt like I should have sprung for a pack of Kraft cheese & then put that on the 1-cent Whopper instead of shelling out the extra 60-cents for the cheese (additional topping) lol.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Kinda felt like I should have sprung for a pack of Kraft cheese & then put that on the 1-cent Whopper instead of shelling out the extra 60-cents for the cheese (additional topping) lol.
I ordered a Whopper with a buy-one-get-one-free coupon. As usual I order nothing else. But the BK employee asked if I wanted it "all the way." Guess it's their last ditch effort to make some profit on my sweet deal. I suppose it means "with cheese."

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012

Is that a one-time deal per app/phone, or can you eat 1 cent burgers until Burger King runs out of cows?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Is that a one-time deal per app/phone, or can you eat 1 cent burgers until Burger King runs out of cows?

One-time use. The deals rotate on a weekly basis, but $1 Whoppers come up quite a bit, or buy-one get-one-free deals.

Right now, they're running the 1-cent Whoppers as a special...order near McDonalds to unlock the coupon, and then you have to redeem it within an hour. Genius lol.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
One-time use. The deals rotate on a weekly basis, but $1 Whoppers come up quite a bit, or buy-one get-one-free deals.

Right now, they're running the 1-cent Whoppers as a special...order near McDonalds to unlock the coupon, and then you have to redeem it within an hour. Genius lol.

Just before the end of every month, like clockwork, I get a pile of flyers in my mailbox with coupons for Burger King, Carl's Jr., Culver's, Wendy's, Fazoli's, Subway and a half dozen pizza places like Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the timing of the flyers. Maybe they figure everyone who lives on fast food is about to get their monthly welfare checks. I sometimes use one to get a few cents off a salad at Wendy's, but what the hell would I want with two Whoppers?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Been on a salty licorice kick lately. Got some of these...

maxresdefault.jpg

and some of these...

gott-blandat-super-salt-130g.jpg

An acquired taste, but addictive

Reactions: KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Been on a salty licorice kick lately. Got some of these...

maxresdefault.jpg

and some of these...

gott-blandat-super-salt-130g.jpg

An acquired taste, but addictive
last time i brought some of the real salty ones and salmiakki to work i was accused of trying to poison people

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
That licorice sounds absolutely horrible. I get nauseous from accidentally eating the black beans in a pack of Jelly Belly. That stuff might kill me.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Dark Chocolate Oreos

10/10

It tastes like how an Oreo should be...not really dark, but just more chocolately. Not super sweet like a chocolate-creme Oreo (which had the milk-chocolate-esqe filling). If you like Oreo's & if you like chocolate, then these are a treat! I will be buying more for sure! Also, they are now a permanent flavor.

K9Oqn88.jpg

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
2019, what a time to be alive. "Real flavor" is a selling point. Mr. Kaido, you owe me a instapot/anova recipe to try out for this.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
2019, what a time to be alive. "Real flavor" is a selling point. Mr. Kaido, you owe me a instapot/anova recipe to try out for this.

Kinda sad, huh? The problem isn't just that, however - natural flavors can be anything but natural, haha. "Natural flavors" is an umbrella marketing term for the food industry :p

https://eatsiptrip.10best.com/2018/03/15/the-ugly-truth-about-natural-flavoring/
...manufacturers aren’t actually required to list which of the oils, distillates, essences, juices or other food products are included to create a discernible natural flavor. And up to 100 different sources can be used to create a product’s singular natural flavor. Complicating matters even further, the FDA considers more than 3,000 chemical food additives to be, you guessed it, natural flavors.

So what is natural flavor, really? It’s an essential oil, or an essence, or a product of fermentation, or one of 3,000 chemical additives, or actually 100 different things vaguely related to food all conveniently (and anonymously) lumped together to form a cohesive taste reminiscent of a single real world flavor. Or, to put it another way, mostly just a lot of marketing speak.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Ritz Toasted Chips (oven baked) are the bomb:

http://www.ritzcrackers.com/Products/ProductDetails?productId=44000015596&&categoryId=73

Original flavor is the best so far. I like the idea of crackers, in general, but I don't actually like most of them - too dry, too mediocre, too whatever.

Town House Original Light & Buttery are one of the few crackers I'm willing to keep in stock in my pantry (way better than regular round Ritz cracker!), and now I've added these toasted chips into my rotation. Very tasty!

I3h2uhS.jpg