The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wait what? BK using a sauce that's not Mayo based? BK puts half a lb of it on everything. The sauce is definitely creamy like Mayo, but if it's not mayo based like you said, I'm scared because I taste mayo in it. And it has the consistency of a Mayo based sauce. I just Googled and read 5 reviews they all mentioned the sauce as Mayo based.

I think maybe you don't hate Mayo as much as you think. NOTE: I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I do like Aioli's where stuff is added to make it taste like something other than Mayo.
They put a disgusting "savory sauce" on it too, you have to tell them to keep that off.

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that, sorry :D

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
had the blazin' Reaper boneless wings from BWW tonight. They have some sort of challenge where if you eat 10 of them without drinking anything in 5 minutes you win. I got the boneless ones, so they're not as hot I guess. They're really spicy, my nose is kinda running and I feel some burn. But there's no way they can be serious about this heat being challenge worthy. I'm not a super chili head, I know 100% I couldn't handle a real reaper or ghost pepper. I would breeze thru this challenge if I ever tried it. I do think with wings and only having 5 minutes to eat 10 it would get much hotter though.

The sauce does taste pretty good, and as far as something from a chain, these are definitely the hottest thing I've had. But they're not all that much hotter than I remember the Atomic, or whatever their usual hottest level is. Inital there's very little heat and it build slow, but keeps going for an unusually long time. I would eat them again no question but I'll still have to look to find something spicy enough to knock me on my ass. And if these really are that spicy, maybe I am a certified chili head. But I'm going to have to go with this is a chain and they always tone shit down.

The blurb I found from BWW on Google they claim this sauce is 2 million Scoville. NO DAMN WAY. 2 million would have me crying in a corner lol.

*EDIT* Ok I just ate 3 in about a minute, 4 minutes later the heat's still building, these will definitely be too spicy for most people. But I still say they're not close to a challenge level

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I looked up the nutritional info on the Ch'King sandwich from BK.com and it says 4,500mg+ of sodium for all of them. I know fast food's packed with salt. But how the hell is that even possible? I Googled the sandwich, and everywhere else I'm seeing write up's on them the sodiums listed at 710mg. So I'm assuming the 4.5k on BK's site has to be wrong, but it's weird they have it 4.5+ for all 4 versions of the sandwich, so it can't just be a single typo. 710 seems a little low also, but much more reasonable than what's on BK's site.

Does anyone know anything here?
I was thinking of picking one of these up for dinner today, I noticed the calories listed had changed, so I looked at the full details, and it seems like they changed the sodium number too. Now it's listed at 1,670mg which seems more realistic.

Edit: that's for spicy, regular is 1,410mg .

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The Mexican Pizza is coming back to Taco Bell. The only good thing there besides the soft taco supreme is back baby!

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
For the price they are fantastic. I usually customize and get the swiss cheese sause added for extra juiciness. :D

Are they better then McDog's breakfast stuff?

Of course for $1 apiece who am I to ask a bunch of questions? :p

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've never tried this item before. Is it really all that good like people keep hyping it out to be?
I only had it one time, but I didn't like it. The texture was weird, and the flavor meh. It could have been a product of that particular restaurant, and/or my frame of mind at the time, but I wasn't impressed. I'd consider revisiting it some time in the future, but news of the re-release didn't excite me.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Are they better then McDog's breakfast stuff?

Of course for $1 apiece who am I to ask a bunch of questions? :p
Exactly. Cheap and filling plus quite tasty is a no brainer. Plus, I don't think you can even get a $1 sandwich from Mickey D's anymore.

Reactions: Captante

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I only had it one time, but I didn't like it. The texture was weird, and the flavor meh. It could have been a product of that particular restaurant, and/or my frame of mind at the time, but I wasn't impressed. I'd consider revisiting it some time in the future, but news of the re-release didn't excite me.
I'm going to try them out when they launch.

Oddly enough I found out they sell a Chili burrito at some Taco Bells. I want to try that out ASAP.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Exactly. Cheap and filling plus quite tasty is a no brainer. Plus, I don't think you can even get a $1 sandwich from Mickey D's anymore.

gotta use the apps for mcd's and BK and wedny's nowadays.

wendy's had dave's single, a 5$ sandwich, available for 1$ from 3/1 to 4/10. it was great!

plus mcd's recently had spend 1$ and get a free big mac - got my big mac and small fry for less than 2 bucks.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Panera Bread's new Signature chicken sandwich. Zero out of 10 stars. This falls below McDonald's new crispy chicken sandwiches. I'm surprised, as they usually have pretty decent stuff!

1650758632019.png

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm going to try them out when they launch.

Oddly enough I found out they sell a Chili burrito at some Taco Bells. I want to try that out ASAP.
For whatever reason, I like them.The only other thing I really like at Taco Bell are soft taco supremes. Maybe one other thing. I find most of their items have a shitty bread to filling ratio. Not enough filling and flavor to go with the surrounding wrapping materials.

From what I read the Mexican pizzas are really popular with vegetarians because they're easy to modify to be vegetarian and filling. Actually the guy who started the campaign/petition to get it back on the menu I think was a vegetarian.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Thanks .... saved me a few $'s was considering trying this. (I have a coupon!)

;)

Ranking:

1. 20 years ago, the McDonalds Crispy Chicken Sandwich was my JAM! I lived off these in college lol:

1650776556888.png

2. The new redesigned McDonalds Crispy Chicken Sandwich is pretty dang meh. I've tried it half a dozen times...regular, deluxe, spicy. I would rather eat their nuggets. Super disappointing. Previously was my least favorite crispy chicken sandwich (I love crispy chicken sandwiches lol)

1650776590085.png

3. I had high hopes for the Panera version. ESPECIALLY BECAUSE IT WAS $12! The taste was incredibly underwhelming. Sounded awesome on paper. Oh, and it's not crispy...their advertisements make it look like crispy fried chicken, but it's actually pan-seared. So kind of like a mildly breaded (well, seasoned) chicken breast. 100% bait & switched based on the photos. Look at their advertisement picture & tell me that that doesn't look like fried chicken. Note that the chicken breasts are sous-vided, but somehow, mine was dry lol.
1650776654362.png

This year, my goal is to perfect my homemade sous-vide deep-fried chicken sandwich. I'm about 80% of the way there. I have a good process, but I don't quite have it where I want it yet. Sous-vide chicken breast, double-breaded, pickle juice, buttermilk, etc. I limit myself to making about one a week right now so that I don't get sick of eating them too often lol. I'm also getting better at making hamburger buns at home. Currently liking potato brioche buns:

The end goal is:

1. Sous-vide the chicken breast, shock, and freeze. Then all I have to do is deep-fry (well, flash-fry) when desired. Possibly able to freeze the coating on as well, drop right into the wok to deep-fry.
2. Frozen bun dough balls. Then I can just proof & bake.

A few variations:

1. Spicy chicken sauce
2. Hot honey chicken (way better than it has any right to be, lol)
3. Nashville hot chicken (YUMMO!)

Right now, Popeye's still wins the game, although their quality has gone downhill since their initial launch, as expected. Not like, horribly downhill, but not as good as the OG one, which I used to get every week by one of my client's lol. But even the current one is still the clear winner! So if I can (1) nail the recipe, and (2) make it convenient enough, then I think I'll have a real homemade winner on my hands!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Arby's has a cheeseburger WTF? It's gotten some pretty good reviews, and as with most fast food, not surprisingly some bad reviews too. it contains some Waygu, probably Waygu style American beef, but that would be a big step up over whatever MCD & BK uses. 6oz patty too, which is good sized for fast food. I actually like Arby's, and their newer crinkle cut fries are awesome sauce. Will be trying this burger today.