The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Saw the commercials for the new-ish KFC chicken sandwich and how they were preferred like 3 to 1 over Chick-Fil-A.
Had it tasted like regular KFC original chicken I would have enjoyed it.

The Fast Food Chicken Sandwiches ranked - Final Results or you can watch the entire 15-minute video...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They use to bring them out as a special release around Halloween, at least here, which makes sense with the name. I see them year-round now. If you had them and weren't impressed with the heat and don't even remember them you're definitely a hardcore chili head. I've given these to some of my Mexican friends who claim they laugh at spicy and none wanted more. You might want to give them a 2nd chance if you see them. If nothing else they'll be the hottest chips on a national level that aren't the One Chip Challenge. Which aren't really comparable because it's 1 chip and costs $8. The Smoky Ghost Pepper ones I got at Ralphs are decent hot and have a great flavor. I've never eaten an actual Ghost Pepper so I don't know what they taste like. But these chips have a ton of flavor and the heat's definitely well above anything from a worldwide brand. Everything from big brands makes me laugh when I see Ghost Pepper in the name. I tried the Ghost Pepper nuggets from BK. Even with my almost zero expectations, I was still disappointed by the complete lack of heat.
Yeah, I was thinking of trying the BK Ghost Pepper nuggets too, fully expecting them to be Midwest-spicy, so maybe hotter than Taco Bell fire sauce (which isn't saying much).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Fast Food Chicken Sandwiches ranked - Final Results or you can watch the entire 15-minute video...

No Bojangle's cajun filet biscuit tested, so the list is illegitimate. And if you think Bojangle's is "too local," then wtf is Raising Caines? Never seen that crap before.

Bojangle's has also been around longer with their sandwiches than all those pretenders, except maybe Chik Fil-A. (actually, they had the "spicy" thing long before anyone else)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
No Bojangle's cajun filet biscuit tested, so the list is illegitimate. And if you think Bojangle's is "too local," then wtf is Raising Caines? Never seen that crap before.

Bojangle's has also been around longer with their sandwiches than all those pretenders, except maybe Chik Fil-A. (actually, they had the "spicy" thing long before anyone else)
Guthrie's = original
Zaxby's = copy of Guthrie's
Raising Cane's = copy of Zaxby's

I remember eating at Guthrie's in Athens, GA, back in the early 1990s. My sister attended UGA and she said I had to try Guthrie's chicken fingers. I did and thought it was really good. But the owner lacked vision and didn't expand like Zaxby's and Raising Cane's. Those two companies stole Guthrie's chicken fingers and made it their own.

Bojangle's is alright but tastes little too processed and cheap to me. I think CFA has the best chicken sandwich. Bojangle's has excellent biscuit.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

No Arby's either, and they've been doing chicken sandwiches for a pretty long time.
Wendy's introduced their spicy chicken sandwich in 1995 though, and the data I can find says CFA launched theirs in 2010.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Just had a Double Bacon breakfast sandwich from JiTB. They're small, and I could barely even detect there was bacon on it. I didn't expect much, but they have some decent fast food breakfast so I bought 2 for $6. f you buy one it's like $4.50 or some shit. I thought maybe they made the 1st one wrong. So I ate the 2nd, it was exactly as boring. Oh yeah, and after eating both I don't feel like I ate much, so yeah they're way too small.

When bacon is on the line, sometimes, you just have to go double or nothing. Featuring hearty bacon strips, American cheese, and a freshly cracked fried egg with cooked-in bacon crumbles, all on a buttery bakery bun. The Double Bacon Breakfast Sandwich is a reminder that victory tastes good. And well, the no-bacon breakfast sandwich just wouldn’t be the same.

1st. Bacon strips weren't hearty, fuckers. Their bacon has always been whatever, but this was extra whatever.
2nd. egg cooked in bacon crumbles sounds delicious, egg was actually decent enough. Bacon crumbles were worse than the hearty strips, fuckers.

JiTB's Extreme Sausage breakfast sandwich is really good, or at least use to be (haven't had one in a while) This sucks, and even at 2/$6 it's not a good deal. This is like a slightly enhanced Breakfast Jack.

BOOOOOOOOOO.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Jack in the Box buys Del Taco

Some consolidation in the fast food industry. In the rare instance that I want fast food "Mexican" Del Taco has been my go to. I find Taco Bell to be revolting. As such I am interested in the long term results of this acquisition as consumers typically see location closures, menu changes, price increases and degradation of 'quality.'

• Wow
Reactions: Kaido

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I noticed a Del Taco when I was driving the other day, I haven't been to one yet. Suppose I ought to before this merger inevitably drops their quality (as I assume it will do).

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I noticed a Del Taco when I was driving the other day, I haven't been to one yet. Suppose I ought to before this merger inevitably drops their quality (as I assume it will do).
It's probably been over 15 years since I last ate at Del Taco. It wasn't horrible but I don't remember being that good either. If the place was any good, I would kept going back. Pretty meh food. I always thought Taco Bell was better.

Unless you live in middle of nowhere America with zero hispanic population, skip Del Taco. It's not worth it unless you have no other options. I have great local Mexican place less than a mile from my house. The food there is better than the foods I've had in Mexico. So I go there when I want Mexican. Once I discovered this local place several years back, I stopped going to Taco Bell and Chipotle.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's probably been over 15 years since I last ate at Del Taco. It wasn't horrible but I don't remember being that good either. If the place was any good, I would kept going back. Pretty meh food. I always thought Taco Bell was better.

Unless you live in middle of nowhere America with zero hispanic population, skip Del Taco. It's not worth it unless you have no other options. I have great local Mexican place less than a mile from my house. The food there is better than the foods I've had in Mexico. So I go there when I want Mexican. Once I discovered this local place several years back, I stopped going to Taco Bell and Chipotle.
I don't really ever find myself pondering whether I should go to Taco Bell or a Mexican restaurant, the restaurant is always going to be more expensive. It's more of a "fast food or restaurant" decision, and when I lived in an area where there was Taco John's, sometimes I'd want their fast food, sometimes I'd want Taco Bell. They each had their strengths, the plain old tacos at Taco John's were unremarkable, if that's what I wanted, I'd go to TB. But they have crispy potato rounds that are pretty good, TB's potatoes are shit. And they do a crispy stuffed taco that I like.
Which is to say, I'm still going to try Del Taco and see what I think :D
We do have hispanic population out here, but everyone says you can't get good Mexican here--I don't really believe it, because they say you can't get good pizza out here either, and I know that's false. The one Mexican place I tried wasn't impressive, but I mostly went there because it was right on the water (literally, the patio we ate on was on a dock).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I havent eaten Del Taco in 15 years as well. Last I remember, it was actually good. Way better than Taco Bell. Of course, in the last two years almost all restaurants have gone to shit.

Reactions: IronWing

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I can't remember Del taco from like 25 years ago at all. Taco Bell sucks but it is a bit of nostalgia from my youth - only the soft taco supremes though, never anything else. Only the mexican pizza was any good there. The rest of their menu is hot garbage. The soft supremes remind me a bit of the flavor we used to make taco nights at home with - that El Paso yellow packet seasoning stuff they have in the grocery store, so that's the memory trigger.

Luckily have like 5 Mexican joints within a 5 minute walk here. None is amazing at everything, each does 2 or 3 things great. Pick up some Al Pastor and Carnitas tacos here, an enchilada and burrito there, etc... Another place like 10 minute drive away has a long list of truly amazing tacos, tortas, a few other dishes including a chicken soup, plus margaritas, and one around the block from that has quite a few good tacos as well. Birria tacos are in the area as well. Braised beef tacos with the braising juice for dipping.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I can't remember Del taco from like 25 years ago at all. Taco Bell sucks but it is a bit of nostalgia from my youth - only the soft taco supremes though, never anything else. Only the mexican pizza was any good there. The rest of their menu is hot garbage. The soft supremes remind me a bit of the flavor we used to make taco nights at home with - that El Paso yellow packet seasoning stuff they have in the grocery store, so that's the memory trigger.
That's a little silly, since most of their menu uses the same ingredients as that soft taco supreme and/or Mexican pizza :p
I use the El Paso packets when I make tacos at home, I've tried various other ones, and tried making my own, but ultimately that's what I decided to go with. I do add a shit ton of smoked paprika and chipotle powder though.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That's a little silly, since most of their menu uses the same ingredients as that soft taco supreme and/or Mexican pizza
I use the El Paso packets when I make tacos at home, I've tried various other ones, and tried making my own, but ultimately that's what I decided to go with. I do add a shit ton of smoked paprika and chipotle powder though.
They do but the ratios are off on the other products like meat to filling and carb ratios. I've tried a few other stuff with the ground beef in them and it's like eating some bread carby products with a bit of tasteless fillings and a hint of the beef. In a soft supreme I still taste that childhood memory beef taste, since it's not even mostly real beef

My most recent ex and I did a taco night with two of the El Paso products, except we got better flour tortillas, used fresh cilantro to the usual tomatoes, onions and lettuce and whatever fancy blend of cheeses whole foods had. Plus lots of sour cream. So fucking good!

That will never not be good

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They do but the ratios are off on the other products like meat to filling and carb ratios. I've tried a few other stuff with the ground beef in them and it's like eating some bread carby products with a bit of tasteless fillings and a hint of the beef. In a soft supreme I still taste that childhood memory beef taste, since it's not even mostly real beef

My most recent ex and I did a taco night with two of the El Paso products, except we got better flour tortillas, used fresh cilantro to the usual tomatoes, onions and lettuce and whatever fancy blend of cheeses whole foods had. Plus lots of sour cream. So fucking good!

That will never not be good
Yeah, I'm definitely known to have them add extra meat to a given menu item.
I'm keen on the Guerrero tortillas, and I'm a whore for Tillamook so I use their shredded cheese and sour cream (dunno how likely it is they're available on your coast)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I get the same thing from tacobell every single time. Four basic crunchy tacos, a bean burrito, and usually some kind of side; generally the potatoes. My yearly average is probably once a month, but I might go a few months without, then go a couple times in a single month. I like it a lot on that schedule.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The only thing I get from Taco Bell is crunchy taco. When I was in high school, it was 39 cents for crunchy taco. I stopped going to Taco Bell once the crunchy taco hit $1.19. I have no idea what it costs now with covid inflation as I haven't had Taco Bell in more than a year.

My local Mexican place has Mexican style tacos for $1.49. It used to be 99 cents and then $1.19 before covid inflation pushed it to $1.49. I get 4 al pastor tacos on corn tortilla.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Looks like a crunchy taco is $1.39 at Taco Bell out here.
I don't dig on corn tortillas, flour all the way.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's meat, cheese, and sour cream, IDGAF, I'm calling it a taco if it's folded over and a burrito if it's rolled up. I don't like corn tortillas, so I'm not going to use them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Looks like a crunchy taco is $1.39 at Taco Bell out here.
I don't dig on corn tortillas, flour all the way.

Agreed. Much prefer flour tortillas. I mean if you like corn then get corn, but maize is just what they had lots of since it was basically native or created in that area so they had to use it. It doesn't make it better at all, it was necessity to use it, not a luxury or choice. There is a great Mexican taco cart near me, they do use a soft corn tortilla but it's definitely toned down as far as corn to other ingredient ratio, so the corn does not overpower the flavor of the fillings, it's excellent. She presses the tortillas fresh at the car. It's phenomenal. They are immigrants, with not the best English. I should ask what region they are from, perhaps that style of tortilla is a specialty of their area.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's meat, cheese, and sour cream, IDGAF, I'm calling it a taco if it's folded over and a burrito if it's rolled up. I don't like corn tortillas, so I'm not going to use them.

btw if you are ever in NYC and want some great tex-mex in homemade flour tortillas, this place Javelina is excellent. My ex who grew up in Austin said it was the best tex-mex in all of the city, which didn't have too many options for that, but she loved it. Whatever it is, it is amazing. The flour tortillas are made there and perfection. Tacos and fajitas and enchiladas - plus multiple quesos and some other dishes. Went there this past weekend for the fourth time. Did not disappoint. I have yet to have the sizzling fajita plates yet though, that's next.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Taco Bell barely qualifies as "edible" nevermind decent food.

Compared to that slop McDonalds is high quality nutrition. :rolleyes:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
btw if you are ever in NYC and want some great tex-mex in homemade flour tortillas, this place Javelina is excellent. My ex who grew up in Austin said it was the best tex-mex in all of the city, which didn't have too many options for that, but she loved it. Whatever it is, it is amazing. The flour tortillas are made there and perfection. Tacos and fajitas and enchiladas - plus multiple quesos and some other dishes. Went there this past weekend for the fourth time. Did not disappoint. I have yet to have the sizzling fajita plates yet though, that's next.
In the fantastically unlikely event that I find myself in NYC again, I'll hit you up for recommendations :D