The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I read something on a week or two ago. Sounded like it was a total change as in on this day they all change to new recipe.
I had two left over in the bag, even cool they had some crunch to them.
The fries were slightly salty imo.

Quick googling proved me wrong. I am not sure. I saw a mini sign at the drive thru.

I stopped by today. They had no idea what I was even talking about, they were like, what new fries? lol. Also, they ran out of Frosties, no joke. The guy behind me was so mad he floored it & drove off lol.

I tried the new Big Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger. It wasn't bad, but it was too much umami. Umami overload. It's like when something is way over-salted. This just had too much "punch" as far as flavor went. I battled through it & finished it tho! Once was enough however, lol.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I stopped by today. They had no idea what I was even talking about, they were like, what new fries? lol. Also, they ran out of Frosties, no joke. The guy behind me was so mad he floored it & drove off lol.

I tried the new Big Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger. It wasn't bad, but it was too much umami. Umami overload. It's like when something is way over-salted. This just had too much "punch" as far as flavor went. I battled through it & finished it tho! Once was enough however, lol.
I saw that when I was checking out the website, I would definitely skip out on the bacon jam if I try it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I saw that when I was checking out the website, I would definitely skip out on the bacon jam if I try it.

I've had good bacon jam before, but this wasn't it. It was too much for my tastebuds lol.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
some motherfucker besmirched Bojangles in here just reecently.

Some motherfucker does not deserve life.

I will be back. Too much anger, for now.

I will be back to this thread.

fucking hell...biscuit-hating son-of a whore-motherfucker.....etc etc etc....mumble

Who the fuck says such nonsense? seriously? people that don't have tongues and throats?

fuck sakes. I'll fix that.

Nm

I said what I said. LOL.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Went to Wendy's today for the first time in a while and had the new fries. I wasn't terribly impressed. Their old fries were slightly better than average when fresh and pretty bad when more than about 10 minutes old. The new fries have some sort of additive or coating or something that keeps them from going soggy. Unfortunately it also makes them taste artificial. It very much reminds me of the Burger King fries from the late 90's/early 00's. The effect then is the low end of their quality is higher than the old kind but the top end is lower than the old kind. Is rate the old fries a 6/10 when fresh and a 2/10 when not fresh. The new fries are a 4/10 when not fresh and a 5/10 when fresh.

Reactions: nakedfrog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Went to Wendy's today for the first time in a while and had the new fries. I wasn't terribly impressed. Their old fries were slightly better than average when fresh and pretty bad when more than about 10 minutes old. The new fries have some sort of additive or coating or something that keeps them from going soggy. Unfortunately it also makes them taste artificial. It very much reminds me of the Burger King fries from the late 90's/early 00's. The effect then is the low end of their quality is higher than the old kind but the top end is lower than the old kind. Is rate the old fries a 6/10 when fresh and a 2/10 when not fresh. The new fries are a 4/10 when not fresh and a 5/10 when fresh.
I think that's when BK fries were at their best, so that comparison intrigues me.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Iirc all fast food fries from frozen have some sort of light coating

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Went to a Jollibee, a Philippino fast food chain. Friend had the spicy chicken sandwich and loved it. I had a 3 piece of the fried chicken. It was good fried chicken but not as good as Popeyes. Juicy but the crust, while quite crunchy, was just not as voluminous as Popeyes. Needed a touch of salt. Fries were pretty good. The mango peach pie was tasty for a fast food pie, very crunchy in a good way.

Will go back and try their yumburger, they also have like a salisbury steak dish, a Philippino spaghetti dish and some shrimp and rice noodle dish. Plus the halo halo!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Went to a Jollibee, a Philippino fast food chain. Friend had the spicy chicken sandwich and loved it. I had a 3 piece of the fried chicken. It was good fried chicken but not as good as Popeyes. Juicy but the crust, while quite crunchy, was just not as voluminous as Popeyes. Needed a touch of salt. Fries were pretty good. The mango peach pie was tasty for a fast food pie, very crunchy in a good way.

Will go back and try their yumburger, they also have like a salisbury steak dish, a Philippino spaghetti dish and some shrimp and rice noodle dish. Plus the halo halo!

Never eaten there, I am intrigued by how random the menu is. Also I laugh when I think about how real Italians would react to the Spaghetti there using ketchup for sauce and also having cut up hot dogs in it. I don't know how authentic their spaghetti is as far as how people in the Phillipians make it. But it sounds like something I need to try once just to understand why.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Never eaten there, I am intrigued by how random the menu is. Also I laugh when I think about how real Italians would react to the Spaghetti there using ketchup for sauce and also having cut up hot dogs in it. I don't know how authentic their spaghetti is as far as how people in the Phillipians make it. But it sounds like something I need to try once just to understand why.

Fried Chicken and Halo Halo are pretty much the only items of quality at Jollibee.

The Phillipines, like Korea, got hooked on American GI Military food dating back to WW2 - hence the hot dogs, Spam, beans and other items they use. The local banana catsup was available hence the "sweet" pasta sauce. And yeah, Jollibee US is very similar to Jollibee in PH from what I've been told. The spaghetti is nauseatingly sweet and is inedible unless you grew up on that flavor.

Jollibee is one of those place you go once and never return - its just not good.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Fried Chicken and Halo Halo are pretty much the only items of quality at Jollibee.

The Phillipines, like Korea, got hooked on American GI Military food dating back to WW2 - hence the hot dogs, Spam, beans and other items they use. The local banana catsup was available hence the "sweet" pasta sauce. And yeah, Jollibee US is very similar to Jollibee in PH from what I've been told. The spaghetti is nauseatingly sweet and is inedible unless you grew up on that flavor.

Jollibee is one of those place you go once and never return - its just not good.

The spaghetti dish just looks and sounds questionable and in the youtube video I saw on them the American military ration story was told. Whatever dish the shrimp and rice noodle dish is based on is what I want to eat, but at a real Philippino restaurant done authentically.

I will go back and try the large yumburger and the spicy chicken sandwich, plus the halo halo, and call it a day. The crust on my friend's spicy chicken sandwich looked superior to my fried chicken pieces.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The spaghetti dish just looks and sounds questionable and in the youtube video I saw on them the American military ration story was told. Whatever dish the shrimp and rice noodle dish is based on is what I want to eat, but at a real Philippino restaurant done authentically.

Pancit (panseat) is the noodle dish - every Phillipino restatuant will have that in abundance and if you have a Jollibee near you, you have a sizable Phillipino population so lots of great authentic food to be had. Get some Lumpia while your at it!

Reactions: MrSquished

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
cantina crispy melt taco is pretty great but needs to be eaten pretty much immediately. unfortunately my two nearest taco bells got scraped. one looks like it's getting rebuilt but other might be gone.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Not fast food, but at Ralphs (Krogers) I found Feast & Fury Smoky Ghost Pepper kettle chips last night. These legit have a good amount of kick to them that has a slow build-up and a pretty strong smoky flavor. Nowhere near as hot as the Paqui Haunted Ghost Pepper tortilla chips. But for something I found at a major chain I was pretty impressed. This company also has a dual one chip challenge where you go heads up with another person and whoever wins gets a coin. One of the people behind it created the Paqui one chip challenge and claims this one is much hotter. I wanna try it, but I don't know anyone who'd be stupid enough to do the challenge with me - which kind of defeats the purpose.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd go up against you. Win or lose, I'd be happy to find a chip that was hot. Hasn't happened yet.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'd go up against you. Win or lose, I'd be happy to find a chip that was hot. Hasn't happened yet.

Have you tried the Paqui Haunted Ghost Pepper? By far the hottest chip I've tried that I'm able to find regularly around here. I can dust an entire bag but it leaves my mouth and tongue burning for a while. If you've tried them and don't consider them hot I couldn't possibly do the chip dual against you lol.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Have you tried the Paqui Haunted Ghost Pepper? By far the hottest chip I've tried that I'm able to find regularly around here. I can dust an entire bag but it leaves my mouth and tongue burning for a while. If you've tried them and don't consider them hot I couldn't possibly do the chip dual against you lol.
I tried some a couple years ago I think? Does that sound right? If so, I wasn't terribly impressed. I saw them a couple weeks ago at wawa, but I had just paid for my order, and already got a bag of regular chips, so I didn't get them. I was hoping to get some a couple days later, but they were all gone by then.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I tried some a couple years ago I think? Does that sound right? If so, I wasn't terribly impressed. I saw them a couple weeks ago at wawa, but I had just paid for my order, and already got a bag of regular chips, so I didn't get them. I was hoping to get some a couple days later, but they were all gone by then.

They use to bring them out as a special release around Halloween, at least here, which makes sense with the name. I see them year-round now. If you had them and weren't impressed with the heat and don't even remember them you're definitely a hardcore chili head. I've given these to some of my Mexican friends who claim they laugh at spicy and none wanted more. You might want to give them a 2nd chance if you see them. If nothing else they'll be the hottest chips on a national level that aren't the One Chip Challenge. Which aren't really comparable because it's 1 chip and costs $8. The Smoky Ghost Pepper ones I got at Ralphs are decent hot and have a great flavor. I've never eaten an actual Ghost Pepper so I don't know what they taste like. But these chips have a ton of flavor and the heat's definitely well above anything from a worldwide brand. Everything from big brands makes me laugh when I see Ghost Pepper in the name. I tried the Ghost Pepper nuggets from BK. Even with my almost zero expectations, I was still disappointed by the complete lack of heat.

Reactions: lxskllr

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I agree that those Paqui chips are spicy. The One Chip is hotter but its taste is horrendous.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Saw the commercials for the new-ish KFC chicken sandwich and how they were preferred like 3 to 1 over Chick-Fil-A. I'm a big CFA fan so I thought I'd try the KFC sandwich, given I do like KFC chicken. Verdict:disappointed.

Comes with pickles and mayo, but not a buttered bun. It had none of the signature KFC "herbs and spices" taste, and that surprised me. Overall very bland. It was huge though. Had it tasted like regular KFC original chicken I would have enjoyed it.