The New and Improved "G80 Stuff"

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Creig
Come on, you two. Initial price gouging has nothing to do with either manufacturer, it has to do with retailers. How the price goes from there will depend on MSRP, supply, performance and popularity.

actually initial pricing has to do with initial supply ;)

and we expect gouging with both g80 and r600

just don't tell me to stfu ... it is 'news' ... it is 'real' ...
... and yes, it will be brought up again at r600's launch ... even IF i were an 'angel' and 100% faultless. :p

:D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You use too many smilies and are becoming quite the little troll.

The first run of GPUs is always more exensive than when supply catches up with demand. It always has and always will.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
It provides dual 400MHz RAMDAC and Dual - Dual Link DVI output, TV Out and HDCP. Our informative friends call the chip External Video I/O Chip or simply External RAMDAC. We don?t have any idea why Nvidia needed that, as RAMDAC has been normally part of the chip for generations.

Damnit where is the Video IN???!!!! Pay that much for a vid card and no Video IN?? ATI gives it on almost all their cards. I hope eVGA has Video IN on their cards.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Come on, you two. Initial price gouging has nothing to do with either manufacturer, it has to do with retailers. How the price goes from there will depend on MSRP, supply, performance and popularity.

... and yes, it will be brought up again at r600's launch ... even IF i were an 'angel' and 100% faultless. :p

Not by me, it won't be, if you zip it now.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Since the card can't be sold yet, I think we can safely say that the pre-sales price gouging we're already seeing is completely the fault of the retailers. They know it's going to be a hot item and they also know that some people will pay ANY amount to own one on the day of its release. It wouldn't matter if they had a million cards sitting in a warehouse somewhere. They would STILL price gouge the first week or two to make as much profit from the desperate rich before dropping the price to a level that will result in sustained sales figures.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gstanfor

Not by me, it won't be, if you zip it now.

agreed

and i will hold you to it

not another peep about pricing . . . from me [unless it is a Hot deal!]
[can't speak for others, either]

... and also at least until a genuine trend in pricing becomes clear ... much later

[a few disclaimers were needed]

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
BFG and PNY jump the guns on 8800 GTX ...Only $800

Nvidia's G80's I/O chip has implications for GPU futures

i does look like it will be 50% faster than the 1950xtx . . . better than that +30% nonsense. :p

Try $623

I'll bet the prices are closer to the $750-800 range during the first couple weeks. Remember when the X800XT PE was coming out? Vendors would entice you in with low prices (CDW was $425 if I remember correctly) with no available stock and then when they finally came in they were a lot more ($525+).

It would be nice if they were in the $600 range but I'll bet we'll get price gouged for a long while, especially with the R600 coming out in Q1 '07.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Im more interested in the GTS pricing.

Im thinking there COULD be a GT version of G80. Looking at the specs, both the gap between the GTX/GTS is a little bit too wide.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I think the purported 700 USD for GTX is almost beyond the many buyer's tolerance. I don't see myself throwing that kind of money for this crude-looking, brute-force (in contrast to sophisticated and lean G70) GPU. A possible explanation for such an outrageous gouging is that these retailers got the very small number of batch (i.e. short supply) and are trying to maximize their profit.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Crude looking and brute force? i think this card will be much more sophisticated and efficent than G70 even though of its size.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
So, NDA will cease on November 8th, right ?

If so, that's a Sunday, will Anandtech post a full review that Sunday (Anand or others work on-week ends ?), or only Monday November 9th ? Anyone know ? I assume they actually wrote and prepared the review some time ago already, and all they need to do it to put it on-line.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Probably Monday since they'll have to say something about price/availability.

Edit: Hey, Nov 8th is Wednesday!

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
I have two midterms on wednesday, so I'll have a good relaxing article read after getting my brains bashed. And I might be stepping up :)

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Centurin
Is it a pretty safe bet that the 8800GTX will cause the 7950GTX prices to drop?

Already dropped. 7900 GTX: ~$299 AR, 7900 GT: ~$199 AR

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024
Originally posted by: CaiNaM
Originally posted by: JAG87
They clearly said its some chick from playboy

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34992

Adrianne Curry

Nice. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer though.

She watches Rome (great show IMO) and describes how people "have sex in front of, like their mom and stuff."

Those are their slaves.

i dunno . . . didn't Emperor Nero have sex with his mom . . . and stuff?!
:Q

:confused:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
the inq's 'latest':

G80, Geforce 8800 GTX is very CPU dependent
If you test 3Dmark06 with a 1000MHz overclocked Core 2 Quad or Duo you get 11300 marks. But when you test the same card, same test on a same non overclocked CPU at 2.66GHz the situation completely changes.

You score about 8000+ with a single card, almost identical to our score with 7950 GX2, the two GPU card. Shocking isn't it, as you'd expect more? To be fair to Nvidia's latest greatest card, the Geforce 7800 GTX scores some 5200+ in the same test so Geforce 8800 GTX is significantly faster than this single GPU card but not from the dual chip one. We are sure that this is just case for 3Dmark and that games will benefit more.

Don't say that we haven't warned you - you will need a faster CPU to push this card to its limits.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
the inq's 'latest':

If you test 3Dmark06 with a 1000MHz overclocked Core 2 Quad or Duo you get 11300 marks. But when you test the same card, same test on a same non overclocked CPU at 2.66GHz the situation completely changes.

You score about 8000+ with a single card, almost identical to our score with 7950 GX2, the two GPU card. Shocking isn't it, as you'd expect more? To be fair to Nvidia's latest greatest card, the Geforce 7800 GTX scores some 5200+ in the same test so Geforce 8800 GTX is significantly faster than this single GPU card but not from the dual chip one. We are sure that this is just case for 3Dmark and that games will benefit more.

Don't say that we haven't warned you - you will need a faster CPU to push this card to its limits.

Assuming its true and its a big *if*. Is anyone really suprised? The bottleneck has been the GPU for gamers for a while now. Is it really suprising they came out with a card that'll need more CPU horsepower to run it? I'm not really suprised considering how things have been lately. If true I guess the question is how much CPU do you need for this next generation of cards thats about to be unleased from nVidia and ATI?. I guess we'll find out next week which rumors are true and which arent.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
the inq's 'latest':

I'm really not too worried, but I'm glad that agpoppin is concerned for us early adoptors... :)

I don't spend my time running 3DMock, which has a built in physics/cpu test, is apparently highly mutli-threaded (unlike any game), and is generally run at 1280x1024 sans AA/AF... No wonder it's "cpu dependent" - it looks like ass and it's benching the cpu in part... 3DMock has gone from being somewhat useful for comparing video cards to almost useless IMO as it attempts to bench too much and fails to isolate the component that it was originally intended to. I'm sure I'll see plenty of G80 goodness, and it won't be cpu dependent when I crank up the AA/AF candy in real games.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
apoppin isn't 'concerned' about anyone but himself :p

i did NOT comment on that story . . . i simply posted it
;)

and i REFUSE to be drawn into a discussion ... now

3DMark has it's uses . . . and it's limitations

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

i did NOT comment on that story . . . i simply posted it
;)

and i REFUSE to be drawn into a discussion ... now

The usefulness of 3DMock is obvioulsy debatable (and this isn't the thread for it), my point is that it's just the usual sensationalism from the inq... I'm not overly conerned that my C2D won't be able to hang with G80 on any real games. Nothing wrong with posting the info though...

XNice

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2000

QFT.... 3DMark is just one tool to benchmark cpu hardware. There are others, and many games also.