The like/disagree is too open to abuse.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
As admin to a site that faced a similar situation, we had to implement limits on the voting to keep certain members in check. It wasn't foolproof, there will always be trolls who have nothing better to do all day long than create new accounts and switch to them to tally up more votes, even switching IP addys if forced to do so, but it does make a significant dent in such activity in all but the most pathetic worst cases, which is why we also database it and can pull for accounts giving and receiving.

The choice was that or do away with votes because as time passed, more and more people realized the abuse potential. Similar had to be done about reporting posts as offensive/spam/etc too, since that's a feature that can't go away.

Last edited:

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Or at least change the ratio for like 10 down votes to start changing the bar from green to red. But, I'd hate to be the minority ... where everyone votes you down, just a month later find out that you were right. I'm thinking this might be a way people may not post a certain opinion in fear of losing their green bar. Hopefully it can be fixed here.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I haven't wholeheartedly participated in the forum since these changes took effect. I don't believe anything will change, and therefore I will eventually be forced to leave for good. It's an unjust system that I don't want to be associated with.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I haven't wholeheartedly participated in the forum since these changes took effect. I don't believe anything will change, and therefore I will eventually be forced to leave for good. It's an unjust system that I don't want to be associated with.

Sorry to see you go if that's the case. Can't say that I blame you though.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I hate that I find myself paying any attention to that stupid bar. Rationally there's no reason to attach any significance to it, but I bet I'm not the only one who does so despite themselves.

Also, I find it irritating when someone downvotes without posting to say what their disagreement is. It seems a bit cowardly, like throwing an egg and running away.

Usually when I disagree with someone I don't want to click a stupid button, I want to unleash my devastating logical argument as to why they are wrong, which will cause them, by sheer force of logic and wit, to reassess all their previous opinions and actions and agree with me. (It never actually happens, but I am unable to learn from experience)

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Same, been spending more time over at H recently and i dont even really like H lol.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'm also vehemently opposed to adding social network elements to forums. A major reason I still hang out on forums is to get away from that nonsense.

Also, aren't 'likes' just a way to collect user's data to show them targeted advertising?

Reactions: ao_ika_red

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I like having expanded options for flagging posts. Sometimes you don't have anything to add to a thread, but want to notify a member of agreement or whatever.

Don't think it should be tied to some visible "reputation" indicator. It's not about personalities.

Why not have a Member Rating separate from a Post-content Rating?

looniam

Feb 23, 2013
i beg y'all pardon but where are these buttons?

it may be due to low post count but all i see are up/down arrows in question threads.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
i beg y'all pardon but where are these buttons?

it may be due to low post count but all i see are up/down arrows in question threads.

There's a cartoony yellow "thumbs up" button on the bottom right of every post. Hover over that and you'll see various feedback icons.

looniam

Feb 23, 2013
There's a cartoony yellow "thumbs up" button on the bottom right of every post. Hover over that and you'll see various feedback icons.

i see no thumb except when it has already been liked, reacted or whatever:
Capture.PNG

fwiw, i agree that a "rep" system is highly susceptible to abuse esp in a toxic discussion. now i feel like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. :X

so stay outta the P&N sub forum?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
i see no thumb except when it has already been liked, reacted or whatever:

Looks like the feature is disabled on your end. It should be above the reply button.

fwiw, i agree that a "rep" system is highly susceptible to abuse esp in a toxic discussion. now i feel like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. :X

so stay outta the P&N sub forum?

Duck and cover. Honestly I never use the button anyway, so you aren't missing much.

tommo1982

Jan 9, 2019
I seem to be missing this functionality as well. I didn't disable it. Was there a reaction from admins to this post? I'd like the "Like", "Agree" buttons to be restored. Perhaps in other way if current one is undesirable. I wish to reward people who answer my questions.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Based on this thread ... I surmise you will gain the capability to "like, etc" once your postcount reaches an unknown threshold.

I don't know for certain how it works here though.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Based on this thread ... I surmise you will gain the capability to "like, etc" once your postcount reaches an unknown threshold.

I don't know for certain how it works here though.

You may be right. Sadly, we have some long-term users who appear to abuse the buttons.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Would be cool if those who don’t like it could put it on ‘ignore’.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Would be cool if those who don’t like it could put it on ‘ignore’.
But certainly there are those who do like it, and those who like to use it for their own ends. It's reminiscent of China's Social Credit System, the modern authoritarian's wet dream. Let's make sure everyone is thinking the right way, and that those who don't are exposed for the deviants they are, a danger to the collective.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's official, people whom you have on ignore can downvote you. NostaSeronx has downvoted me at least twice since I put him on ignore.

Can we please stop that nonsense? I won't downvote him or anyone else. I wouldn't before, and I won't now. The practice is too ripe for abuse.

@jpishgar is there anything you can do to remedy this situation?

Reactions: Thunder 57

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I vote to remove all the negative "like" options .. neutral (zzz) and positive only. Maybe a negative when ever you have gotten a warning from a mod :).

neutral counts as negative in bar it seems.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Enough dislikes would hurt my feelings is I had any.

Would enough likes make you feel good about yourself? It goes both ways. The bar is pointless. All it does is help people judge you based on someone else's opinion of what you did in the past. Instead of, you know, what you're doing right now.