The like/disagree is too open to abuse.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Very surprised that even "Bad spelling" reaction can give a person a negative.

I got a "bad spelling" once on a post that had no spelling errors. What?

We also had a guy do drive-by downvotes in a thread without posting anything, of stuff that made no sense to downvote. He disliked @IEC 's report on a dead 2080Ti (which turned out to be a very informative thread). The downvote has mysteriously disappeared. Probably a good thing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think, at the very least, the "bad spelling" reaction should count as 10 negatives.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The great thing about this system is that nobody cares about your reputation except you.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The great thing about this system is that nobody cares about your reputation except you.

Dunno, if you see a massive red bar next to someone the first time you see them posting, how does that predispose you to them? Personally I don't care about my rep. It's a social credit system designed to track behavior. It is not centrally-administered which is why it appears to be innocent upon initial examination.

If people have been downvoting you then assuredly new observers are likely to be more skeptical. A big green bar might make people predisposed to trust or like you (even if maybe they shouldn't).

Reactions: ao_ika_red

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Does dislike also count as negative? Perhaps a two tier system where dislike is neutral but shows you do not agree with a post and disagree would be negative and used for truly appropriate times.

Feel free to agree/disagree on this suggestion :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dunno, if you see a massive red bar next to someone the first time you see them posting, how does that predispose you to them? Personally I don't care about my rep. It's a social credit system designed to track behavior. It is not centrally-administered which is why it appears to be innocent upon initial examination.

If people have been downvoting you then assuredly new observers are likely to be more skeptical. A big green bar might make people predisposed to trust or like you (even if maybe they shouldn't).

From what I have seen, Red Bars are almost always well deserved.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

I guess. I've seen at least one good poster in the CPU forums who gets creamed in some other forum for having the wrong opinions, or something. Not sure why I'm supposed to care about that when talking CPUs.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I guess. I've seen at least one good poster in the CPU forums who gets creamed in some other forum for having the wrong opinions, or something. Not sure why I'm supposed to care about that when talking CPUs.

That's a good point. There's a few P&Ners that I down vote, but upvote in other forums on occassion.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
A green bar indicates behavior that doesn't deviate too far from accepted norms. Toe the line, don't be too controversial. Discourage dissent, and encourage the embrace of the consensus view.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

I don't judge people by their bars, I judge people by the things they write. I'd guess that 90% or more of the negatives are earned in P&N and have absolutely no bearing on what they have to say on other forums.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I don't judge people by their bars, I judge people by the things they write. I'd guess that 90% or more of the negatives are earned in P&N and have absolutely no bearing on what they have to say on other forums.
It's nice of you not to judge users based on such a superficial metric, but then again when you claim that negatives are "earned," there seems to be an implication that some sort of judgment is occurring, if not by you, then surely others.

I think the bar adds an ad hominem element to the discussion. Arguments are ideally judged on their merits alone, but a graphic indication of what other posters think can't help but add some measure of prejudice, however small. Whether one personally disregards it, as you say you do, says little about the effect it may have on the group as a whole.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I dunno really, I actually find it slightly weird that I can work out a poster's general political stance (at least as far as pro- or -anti- Trump) by the color of their bar. I mean, I suppose that's useful in some way, but I just feel irritated by the young-person-social-media-sillyness of it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Arguments are ideally judged on their merits alone

Exactly. I also find that being able to react positively (or negatively) to a post with a button press suppresses conversation by disincentivizing users from needing to post in order to render their opinion. Sure, we don't need thousands of "I agree" or "you're an idiot" posts, but it is nice to get some people adding to the conversation.

I dunno really, I actually find it slightly weird that I can work out a poster's general political stance (at least as far as pro- or -anti- Trump) by the color of their bar. I mean, I suppose that's useful in some way, but I just feel irritated by the young-person-social-media-sillyness of it.

Maybe we should turn the green bar blue instead?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

There is no such thing as a "wrong opinion."

Personally, I don't give two sh*ts whether someone "likes" my posts or not. The "dislike" comments I get are usually funny as hell to me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

very much this. This system simply doesn't work in a large forums model like this where something like P&N exists

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's nice of you not to judge users based on such a superficial metric, but then again when you claim that negatives are "earned," there seems to be an implication that some sort of judgment is occurring, if not by you, then surely others.

I think the bar adds an ad hominem element to the discussion. Arguments are ideally judged on their merits alone, but a graphic indication of what other posters think can't help but add some measure of prejudice, however small. Whether one personally disregards it, as you say you do, says little about the effect it may have on the group as a whole.

I will actually throw a positive vote or agree or like to someone that I have traditionally come to "downvote" very consistently. It does depend on the specific comment of course. Even among those certain posters, there are some that I actually like, even though they have substantial redbars which are, well, probably deserved for generally saying observably stupid things or using fundamentally broken logic...but still. I find the system repugnant no matter what. It is going to influence nearly anyone, regardless of their claims to judge on a post-by-post basis.

I know that some of my stupid posts and broken arguments have deserved some of the dislikes.

It is probably the worst thing to happen to these forums.

...one thing that no one has probably pointed out is that the system is completely agnostic to intent: I lot of posters will get the positive "laugh" vote when it is granted to them in obvious sarcasm. I find this fascinating.

Broken

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2000
I wouldn't mind a downvote for certain megalomaniacal moderators.....

Maybe that's just me though..

The sole legitimate venue for "discussing" moderator actions is Moderator Discussions.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
This thread is almost a month old but still no reaction from forum higher-ups.
In a nutshell, can we have the simple, old "like" button back?
We're entering half a year since this post was created and still nothing. I noticed some members deactivated their account, hopefully not because of this "rating system".

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The vote system will be going away.

I don't know when exactly, but we were told in the next forum update, they were going to disable it.

Until then, hopefully [most] users here will use some common sense, and some restraint.

But I'm not going to hold my breath on the last part of my paragraph. :p

Reactions: crashtech

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
The vote system will be going away.

I don't know when exactly, but we were told in the next forum update, they were going to disable it.

Until then, hopefully [most] users here will use some common sense, and some restraint.

But I'm not going to hold my breath on the last part of my paragraph. :p
Thank you. This is a great news.

Reactions: UsandThem