The like/disagree is too open to abuse.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Our reputation should not define us.

The fact that an actor can go through your posts and red you is bad.

Even more, simple disagreements can make someone look less agreeable and thus bias future reactions to ones posts.

I never really noticed it till it happened.

Likes are good. Shames are bad.

Edit: I just went back and removed most of my disagrees as I did not realize how they were painting people.

Last edited:

trollspotter

Jan 4, 2011
I also didn't realize this. My selective "disagree" clicks were meant simply for that, to disagree, not make somebody's reputation bar red... A simple solution to somewhat alleviate this would be to disable reactions on posts older than a week so that it can't be abused in a retaliatory way.

Also, internet points are silly. Why even have this system?

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
My selective "disagree" clicks were meant simply for that, to disagree, not make somebody's reputation bar red...

You are not very good at lying.

You were told to knock it off in the other thread,
and you are not going to continue it in this one.

AT Mod Usandthem

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Our reputation should not define us.

The fact that an actor can go through your posts and red you is bad.

Even more, simple disagreements can make someone look less agreeable and thus bias future reactions to ones posts.

I never really noticed it till it happened.

Likes are good. Shames are bad.

Edit: I just went back and removed most of my disagrees as I did not realize how they were painting people.

I think the bar should removed.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I've stopped using disagree since I realized it counts as negative. There are other forms that I've been on where this isn't the case and I think that's a better system.

I think that disagree should be neutral (if anything) instead of negative. Just because I disagree with a post does not mean that I feel negatively towards it or the poster. There's still "dislike" for that and maybe that shouldn't be negative either.

Perhaps consider adding "Off Topic" or other reactions like that which serve as the only negative moderations.

Reactions: cytg111 and Schmide

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It's an awful system, and I think is actually deterring people from participating in forums. Just get rid of every reaction other than 'agree', 'funny' and 'informative' (is there any other reason to 'like' something but those three?). If something is truly offensive report it to a mod for deletion or ignore it. I don't see what is gained by this 'reputation' system.

If something has errors of reasoning, false information or bad premises, post and say so. And then anyone who also thinks that can 'agree' with your reply. But simply downvoting a post tells the reader nothing useful.

(Also, this social-media voting stuff is for young people. Aren't we all aging here? Should there not at least be buttons for 'get off my lawn' and 'I've forgotten why I came in here?')

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. If you lurk certain forms enough eventually you recognize posters by reputation (good or bad) but one other thing I realized is that the system can be deceptive for another reason.

I saw one person who had made what I thought was a good post who had a really terrible like/dislike ratio. I was kind of curious about how that was possible, especially if their other posts were of a similar quality.

Essentially what had happened is that they had a lot of posts in the Social section (OT and politics) that were not popular. I don't know if it's possible, but it seems like ratings (good or bad) within the Hardware section should have nothing to do with the other sections.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I vote to remove all the negative "like" options .. neutral (zzz) and positive only. Maybe a negative when ever you have gotten a warning from a mod :).

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Just get rid of every reaction other than 'agree', 'funny' and 'informative'

If something is truly offensive report it to a mod for deletion or ignore it. I don't see what is gained by this 'reputation' system.

If something has errors of reasoning, false information or bad premises, post and say so.

100% Agree. And please stop showing the bar. A forum should keep it as simple as possible.

It's ridiculous there are so many reactions. For what purpose? We got smilies already.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I see there's a "bad spelling" button. Never seen anyone bother with that one. You could have a reaction button for "misuse of apostrophe". But then I'd get RSI from clicking it on every second post. Including some of my own.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Count me in the "reputation systems are bad" crowd. This is not Facebook. We don't need likes. Hell look at SlowSpyder. I have no problem with his posts in CPU&OC but apparently he is getting hammered somewhere else. P&N I guess? Anyway his rep is in the toilet. Why? I don't know. I've never even seen anyone dislike one of his posts.

It is kind of nice to have a way to thumbs up or "I agree" a post to cut down on "me too" replies that contribute nothing to the thread. BUT! That should not contribute to one's future reputation. Ditto for basic disagreement.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Get rid of it, it's just promotes animosity which is the last thing we need more of.

Seconded.

Can we at least set things up so that we can get rid of positive and negative "votes" from people whom we have on ignore? Is it already set up that way? We have at least one or two posters now that take it upon themselves to "downvote" every post they reply to with any semblance of disagreement.

There was a thread in CPU&OC where two people "downvoted" a poster for doing nothing more than linking a video after another user requested a link. It wasn't just another user, it was @Markfw who made the initial request! The guy who responded to him did exactly as asked, and he was punished on the basis of the content. What is up with that?!?!? If someone did that to me, it would be instant-ignore for both of them.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I think the bar should removed.

It's only getting worse, now we are getting people going on mass downvote sprees, "Measly Twerp" gave me over 220 down-votes in one day by mining my post history, and in the last day, he seems to have encouraged a follower who I notice is now mass downvoting the same posts Twerp did.

I also notice getting votes from accounts that don't actual post in the community, they just spend all their time voting, just like that second account matching Twerps downvotes. It has only ever posted 1 time, but voted over 250 times...

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's only getting worse, now we are getting people going on mass downvote sprees, "Measly Twerp" gave me over 220 down-votes in one day by mining my post history, and in the last day, he seems to have encouraged a follower who I notice is now mass downvoting the same posts Twerp did.

I also notice getting votes from accounts that don't actual post in the community, they just spend all their time voting, just like that second account matching Twerps downvotes. It has only ever posted 1 time, but voted over 250 times...

Agreed, the amount of trolls abusing this "feature" that nobody wants anyways is going to get out of hand real quick. Just wait till the next major GPU launch lol.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The rep-bar colour scheme is also quite insensitive for anyone in Northern Ireland!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The rep-bar colour scheme is also quite insensitive for anyone in Northern Ireland!

Do fights break out over there at traffic lights then? ;)

They could make the colors scheme red and blue, but then the P&N forum would collectively lose its mind. :p

Reactions: pmv

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I’m here because this isn’t a social media site. Reputation bars, etc. just annoy me. I’m trying to ignore all the forums changes and start posting more, but it’s a pain.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
This thread is almost a month old but still no reaction from forum higher-ups.
In a nutshell, can we have the simple, old "like" button back?

Reactions: ericlp

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
And add my vote as a 4th. To me the Thumbs Up or Like is simply a way of agreeing - in yesteryear, "ditto." I see no point to a down vote - if you disagree, say so or move on.