The last presidential debate is on...it's do or die!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I can't believe all of you are saying how responsible the rich should be for paying taxes, and still not get cuts too. Its easy to say you don't care now if you aren't rich, but if I were I know I'd be fuming! Its a capitalist system, if you made the money its yours, just because I'm poor doesn't mean I deserve to get a chunk of your money and that you should be supporting me!

Bush just got spanked on affirmative action

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Optoman:

Your father is the kind of guy who made this country great. Here's a salute!

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Just be glad that we don't live in the UK. I hear that if you make over $100,000 you start to pay through the nose in taxes. Something like 80% when you hot a million. Don't know the exact numbers but that is why so many English performers claim residence in the US, less taxes.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not saying that the rich shouldn't get tax cuts...I'm just saying that their percentage of tax cuts shouldn't be the same or more than middle class and lower...the rich do make more money you know ;)

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Damn, I've said it before and here it is again: I really miss hearing the voice of Harry Browne, Darth Vader and even Pat Buchanan. These guys are lame. :disgust:

Marty

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Me too! I want my Mustang! Seriously though, If you are feeling so generous with this hypothetical $10 mil, wouldn't you rather determine where it goes on your own rather than having it simply taken away and spent without any say on your own part? Its not whether or not you keep the money, its whether or not the government takes it.

Marty

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< I'm not saying that the rich shouldn't get tax cuts...I'm just saying that their percentage of tax cuts shouldn't be the same or more than middle class and lower...the rich do make more money you know >>

I believe, unless I have it totally wrong, Bush's tax plan is all about that! (e.g. >$100,000, only a 10% cut... <$37,000 I think it's like 50%...?).

Marty

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
I believe you are correct. Bush said something along the lines of even though the rich(est) pay 1/3 of the taxes, they only get 1/5 of the tax relief.

Marty

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
JellyBaby:

They rarely invest their own money to grow. Remember the stock market? Going public is the way to get really rich. Even if the company folds in a year, you could rake in a mil just in salary and perks.

Folks like the Mars brothers are very rare.

Gore stumbled a bit on AA. Sounded fuzzy. I hate to admit I agree with Tom on that. But I support AA.

pidge

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
&quot;I keep promises&quot; - Al Gore

I almost choked on my piece of chicken while he said that.

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
omg, the smackdown continues.. i almost feel sorry for bush. I said almost:) He can no longer rely on generalities.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
On taxes it seems a common theme is whether or not you trust government to wisely spend your money. Obviously, they do not spend it wisely and that's a big issue to most of us. Tripleshot and chess9 are still living in the 50s and 50s where perhaps it was spent wisely. Today, that's not the case. I need only point to the $6 trillion credit card bill politicans have charged us. Gore say's he'll &quot;balance the budget every year and will pay down the debt every year&quot;. Yet look at his spending plan in relation to what Greenspan advises...and look at his record...will he do it? I'm doubtful, especially if democrats take control of congress.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< I'm not saying that the rich shouldn't get tax cuts...I'm just saying that their percentage of tax cuts shouldn't be the same or more than middle class and lower...the rich do make more money you know >>

I agree with this statement...I think. What do you mean by percentage- the rate at which taxes are assessed, or the amount of money that each sector is allowed to keep. If you mean the tax rate cut, I agree with that completely. If you are talking about the dollar amount, I disagree.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Why doesn't the new president sign some kind of a contract stating what they promise to do. If they don't do then we shouldn't pay and boot their ass out of office. We are voting (hiring?) them to do a job and if they fail one what they promissed to do then we should can them.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Modifying one of Gore's closing statements: &quot;I have not spent the last 25 years persuing personal wealth...I have dedicated that time to spending your personal wealth&quot; ;)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
JellyBaby:

The 50's had its advantages, particularly if you were interested in getting an education. But I don't think TS and I are living in the 50's. When you get up every morning and need a fork lift to get your fat *ss out of bed, you KNOW it ain't the 50's.

Anyway, Gore will never get all those programs through Congress unless Congress changes radically. I don't think so. I support MODEST social spending, which to the right wingers means I'm a left wing whacko. :p

Anyway, none of us matter a whit, except for our vote, and this year even that may be meaningless. The political system is way out of whack and this election will not do a damn thing about it.

pidge

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
I liked GW's closing statement better than Gore's. But overall, another lame debate.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
optoman,

There has been talking of allowing citizens to sue government officials for overspending and mismanaging funds. In the two party system, I doubt much will come of this. And I personally hate the idea of lawsuits to make amends on issues like this...but it is an interesting idea.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
optoman Because we would not have a Democrat as President!;)

Spit and Polish and I'll give it to Gore...except in his inability to abide by his own rules!

Bush spanked him in the closing statement to be sure!

We've seen three very different Gores...I wonder which is the real one. Bush has not changed his mannerism or modified his stance on the issues throughout the debates.

Who do you trust?