The last presidential debate is on...it's do or die!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Optoman:

Good idea, but did you notice that wasn't in The Contract With America? Yes, I think we need a few junk yard dog lawyers to draft up a really nasty document for these guys to sign. If you don't produce, you volunteered! Sex in the oval office? Pay a penalty to the U.S. Treasury. (But then the going rate for BJ's is so low it might not be worth it. :p )

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
chess9
I aggree with ya there. We at 50 now need to be responsive at the polls and vote Nov 7th. I just roll out of bed and put on the slippers.
;)

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
chess9,

I know you mean well. And, no, I don't believe you wake up every morning thinking you're in the 50's (though I'll bet that aged back of yours aches! j/k). I simply envy you because you lived in that time.

At Yahoo the other day I watched clips from debates as far back as the 60s (JFK vs. &quot;I'm not a crook&quot;). Damn you had good, quality candidates back then. And trustworthy government, too, from all I've read. Today is different and requires different &quot;handling&quot;. The two-party system is a polished machine that's great at selling pre-packages candidates and persuading people to vote for them. I completely agree with you when you said << The political system is way out of whack and this election will not do a damn thing about it. >>. The only solution I know of is to vote in third-party folk and independents. However, at AT here, that theme isn't resonating with some of you. ;)

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Hell, i wouldn't abide by the rules if my opponent spit out inaccuracies:p Can't let it stand hehe

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Red:

Sorry, man, but Bush tripped on his dong at almost every turn. The man is seriously deficient in brain cells. His closing statement was the only lucid thought he had all night. Gore devastated him. Bush should have stuck with the sit down model. He was best at that format.

Gee, I wonder what the debate coaches will say? I know. Who gives a sh*t! :p

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
>>We've seen three very different Gores...I wonder which is the real one. Bush has not changed his mannerism or modified his stance on the issues throughout the debates.<<

Easy pick. I take the third Gore.Thats the real one.( I NEVER trusted Shrub, and thats evident.)

Tonight you saw the next leader of the free world. I believe it is Al Gore!

pidge

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
Gore won the war as the best debater but Bush's policies are better for America IMHO.

Jazar

Mar 27, 2000
I've been undecided throughout it all but I must say that it looked terrible for Bush when he looked to Jim Laher (sp) during the direct affirmative action question from Gore.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
OK where's that fella that always mentions the lame vote.com results? Mmmmm, we're waiting? :p

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Uh... it didn't look bad at all... Gore was clearly breaking the rules and his question was COMPLETELY irrelevent (WHO CARES about the &quot;official&quot; terminology of affirmative action?) It's obvious where Bush stood.... and I have ALWAYS heard that Affirmative Action=quotas... so I don't know where Gore comes up with this stuff... I guess he's trying to catch him on a technicality.. but I didn't buy it.

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
ugh reddawn, let me guess, a conservative talk radio station. those are almost bad as tv talk shows.

and ND, bush couldn't even answer such a specific question. Do you support the supreme courts definition of afirmative action. Simple yes no.

pidge

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
Bush lost but....here are some things I noticed:

Many of the questions chosen to make Bush look like the candidate with the questionable policies.

Did he enjoy killing that guy from Texas?
The issue about the NRA?

There were two more questions but I forgot what they were. It just made this debate seem like it came from left field more than a balanced debate.

Also, anyone notice how Gore didn't mention Clinton at all. Everything was I. I made promises 8 years ago (I believe it was Clinton who was making promises 8 years ago). I saved social security. I lowered unemployment....etc. I have never heard a presidential debate where the incumbent VP hardly mentioned what he and the President did for the country. Anyways, those were two things that I noticed.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Bush did look tired tonight. I'll wager he spent much of the day studying, memorizing, (praying?), and otherwise prepping for what could be the most important debate (the last one often stands out in the undecided voter's mind). But he did actually do a bit better tonight than I thought he would.

The same is true for Gore: he also took it up a notch and I was impressed by him going into detail with his plans. He was overly abrasive again but this is a freakin' debate, is it not? Just wish he could have kept to debate rules, especially the one's he wanted, &quot;no asking questions to the crowd&quot;. But he had energy and he seemed &quot;hungry&quot; to win it. Plus as I said he knew he needed &quot;a big one&quot; (the polls told him). And I noticed he didn't mention Clinton much (at all?). I reckon that's good.

Who won? Hmmmm. It's a bit more difficult to say this time around. I'll stick with &quot;they both did a fine job&quot; but america still lost as a result of having only these two choices this year. Well maybe in 2004 we'll have a better selection of candidates. If this year's republican campaign debates (that included Keyes, McCain and others) is any indication of the kind of talent the two-party system can produce, it bodes well for the future. Same with Bradley on the &quot;other side&quot;, though only two choices democrats? Come on.

NEXT ISSUE!

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Kudos to FOX for allowing Lieberman and Cheney to come on and field additional questions! Better that than having the Brokjaws, Rather-bads, and Jenningses of this world spin what happened into insensibility. ;)

dl

Banned
Oct 29, 1999
I don't know what gen u young dood came from....but for me, I'm picking a pres that will benefit me the most...and well...I just can't see Gore do this...

It's time to see some new faces in the office trying to make a change instead of the same old boring crap that we've all proved to be useless and never really cared about our future.

Bore licked Bush and Dick in the 1st round ;) but it seems GW is on a comeback trail to beat da living crap out of the Borg! :)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
TS:

I think Bush will win and we'll have another lousy President. We have too many voters who went to school in the 70's and 80's and didn't learn a damn thing.

None of them post to this board, however. <cough, cough>

I see CNN's likely voters gave the edge to Gore. Well, duh! Bush had his derriere handed to him all gift wrapped and pretty. The guy is so stupid I can't imagine any world leader or American wanting such an intellectual embarrassment to lead our nation.

Gore's most serious failing is his wooden personality. He's about as warm and fuzzy as an iceberg. The Aamerican people love the Reagan types with their Will Rogers &quot;gee whiz we can lick 'em&quot; attitude.

I expect warm and fuzzy to beat competent and cold.

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
Chess9,
I must say you are perhaps the most biased member of the board I've seen yet. Can we lend any credence to what you say? You seem to put your own spin on everything and it is always Pro-Gore or Anti-Bush. You need to find some balance. We completely disagree on most everything, but I'll respect your right to an opinion. However, you would do well to actually talk about the issues instead of constantly repeating, &quot;Bush is dumb.&quot; or &quot;Gore kicked his ass.&quot; Give us something to talk about other than those pointless party lines.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
You guys an argue about the debating merits and stuff. But don't you agree that Al Gore's voice and the way he speaks is better suited for debates? I mean, everyone I met says Gore has a clear and loud voice, while Bush's is fuzzy and unclear.