The "known" Corsair HX Series problems?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
When you see the value line with a 50C rating and top end Japanese capacitors, kind of says it all about their attention to detail..........and it doesn't matter if it's CWT or Seasonic building them, the quality is outsatnding....

So can we infer from your statement that even though Corsair does not make there own PSU`s that they have such a great say in what goes into building them that there is no loss of quality?

There are other brans that are the same way!

Peace!

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
So can we infer from your statement that even though Corsair does not make there own PSU`s that they have such a great say in what goes into building them that there is no loss of quality? There are other brans that are the same way!

That is exactly what I am saying. You have to admit the quality is pretty high for the price of admission. I haven't seen very many slights against Corsair psu's, something I can't say about other manufacturers. Corsairs psu logic is pretty good, make very few models, and make them well.

Peace to you too bro ;)

rodrigu3

May 14, 2007
My goodness, fierce battling going on here - I run an HX620 on my IP35-E with no problems whatsoever - one thing I did notice was the following. One day I accidentally hit my surge protector's power button and turned everything off. I turned it back on but no motherboard lights. Tried the switch on the back of the PSU, no dice. So I just turned it off for about 5 min and let it sit there. Turned the switch back on, and the mobo lights came on. Turned on the system - no problem.

This seemed like more of a safety feature to me than a problem. I started panicking at first from all of the posts of issues regarding the HX620 and IP35-E, but I took my time trying to address the issue and was able to fix it. Besides the usual double boot, everything works fine. Hell, it worked fine the first time I even started the damn thing up and I haven't built a rig in 3 years! Some people just have bad luck. If something doesn't work for you, don't assume a QC issue. Be patient, return or exchange the part and try again.

I posted a while back that when I first received my IP35-E from MWave.com that it came poorly constructed with the northbridge heatsink off completely and strange coloration on the chip itself. I didn't take a chance and just returned it. Serpent has helped elucidate a number of things regarding this board and it doesn't seem to me that he's trolling at all. He just read this thread, noticed that it was a similar problem to one that he encountered in his thread, and posted a reply. In the end it's up to the OP whether to take his advice or not. If you're just sick of reading serpent's posts, you have a scroll wheel for a reason.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: rodrigu3
My goodness, fierce battling going on here - I run an HX620 on my IP35-E with no problems whatsoever - one thing I did notice was the following. One day I accidentally hit my surge protector's power button and turned everything off. I turned it back on but no motherboard lights. Tried the switch on the back of the PSU, no dice. So I just turned it off for about 5 min and let it sit there. Turned the switch back on, and the mobo lights came on. Turned on the system - no problem.

This seemed like more of a safety feature to me than a problem. I started panicking at first from all of the posts of issues regarding the HX620 and IP35-E, but I took my time trying to address the issue and was able to fix it. Besides the usual double boot, everything works fine. Hell, it worked fine the first time I even started the damn thing up and I haven't built a rig in 3 years! Some people just have bad luck. If something doesn't work for you, don't assume a QC issue. Be patient, return or exchange the part and try again.

I posted a while back that when I first received my IP35-E from MWave.com that it came poorly constructed with the northbridge heatsink off completely and strange coloration on the chip itself. I didn't take a chance and just returned it. Serpent has helped elucidate a number of things regarding this board and it doesn't seem to me that he's trolling at all. He just read this thread, noticed that it was a similar problem to one that he encountered in his thread, and posted a reply. In the end it's up to the OP whether to take his advice or not. If you're just sick of reading serpent's posts, you have a scroll wheel for a reason.

Same thing happens to me with the Antec TPQ 850 Watt. It is the board, not the PSU in this instance and isn't really a problem. It is a major PITA though, because you have to unplug the power cable and let it sit for a few minutes in the case of power loss.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
I have an HX520 with an Abit KN8 Ultra. My roommate has a HX620 with a Gigabyte DS3. Both of our computers are running fine with no issues.

DarkManX4lf

Jan 24, 2006
I have two HX520 psu's. One on a ASUS board and another on a Asrock board no problems here at all.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
So can an AnandTech moderator please delete this thread so it doesn't confuse people? There are obviously no widespread issues with Corsair's HX series. The problems of a few do not equal the problems of many.

Fordy

Nov 9, 2007
Im planning to buy a new system and Ive chosen all of the parts. It contains both the IP35-E and the HX520W PSU. I will also be using a 2gig kit of Corsair xms2 6400C4 800mhz Ram that i believe runs at 2.1V. I'm assuming that i will be able to at least boot with one stick of the 2.1V Ram and change the Vdimm in the BIOS.
I was about to buy everything when i came across this issue on a few different forums. Ive been following the issue closely for nearly a week or so now and am dieing to order my new system. I know that there is only a small number of cases of the issue, but do you think i should buy a different combo of Motherboard and PSU / wait to see if there is a solution to this problem, or do you think I will be fine with the said combo?
Thanks

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
I am not going to try to convince you either way on the PSU issue as you should be comfortable with what you order. The vast majority of people using the ABIT IP35 boards and our PSUs are having no issues at all. Rest assured that we will support you if there is an issue.

As far as the RAM goes, it is programmed with a JEDEC spec SPD so it will boot just fine in your board at stock settings and with both modules installed based on my testing.

tomoyo

Oct 5, 2005
I have to say my HX520 is rock solid...sadly the one part that's not really corsair's fault is failing me now. The psu fan is making a rather grindy noise now...tweaking with the screws on the fan casing didn't really help. I guess I'll need to get that fixed :/

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Fordy
Im planning to buy a new system and Ive chosen all of the parts. It contains both the IP35-E and the HX520W PSU. I will also be using a 2gig kit of Corsair xms2 6400C4 800mhz Ram that i believe runs at 2.1V. I'm assuming that i will be able to at least boot with one stick of the 2.1V Ram and change the Vdimm in the BIOS.
I was about to buy everything when i came across this issue on a few different forums. Ive been following the issue closely for nearly a week or so now and am dieing to order my new system. I know that there is only a small number of cases of the issue, but do you think i should buy a different combo of Motherboard and PSU / wait to see if there is a solution to this problem, or do you think I will be fine with the said combo?
Thanks

Why would you fork out $ for something that may cause problem? Get another PSU that's known to work well with this board. Earthwatts 500 was $30 AR from Frys.com this week. FREE SHIPPING, too. Watch the HOT DEAL forum!

The rig should not consume more than 350 watts. Any PSU with more than 25A continuous at +12VDC should do the job. Earthwatts 500 is rated at 34A/12VDC.

pennhunter

Jan 9, 2005
I'm buying an HX520 next week to replace my Antec power supply that just died. Stay away from Antec, some of their power supplies are known to have bad caps.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: pennhunter
I'm buying an HX520 next week to replace my Antec power supply that just died. Stay away from Antec, some of their power supplies are known to have bad caps.

This is true, however all the newer Antecs don't have a problem. Trio, Quattro, Earthwatts, Basiq, and NeoHE don't have this problem anymore. I think they finally learned ;)

tomoyo

Oct 5, 2005

Very true of older models such as truepower/smartpower which had terrible caps. Not so true with newer models, they don't have very high quality caps, but they ARE using at least a decent japanese primary cap along with some moderate quality secondaries.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO

This is true, however all the newer Antecs don't have a problem. Trio, Quattro, Earthwatts, Basiq, and NeoHE don't have this problem anymore. I think they finally learned ;)

About time huh????:)

Fordy

Nov 9, 2007
Ok I think I'm gonna go with the hx520, its just looks like such a great unit. If I do have problems, I have you guys to help me and I can surely get it replaced. The site I'm buying of has a one year warranty. They test the part and if it fails send it back to base. I will most likely order tomorrow. Thanks for your advice guys, ill be sure to come back here regardless of the result.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Fordy, ignore any stupid rumors that these HX series have any problems. The problems of a few do not equal that of many. I got mine after a bunch of people on Rage3D recommended them. None of them had any issues.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Ok I think I'm gonna go with the hx520, its just looks like such a great unit. If I do have problems, I have you guys to help me and I can surely get it replaced. The site I'm buying of has a one year warranty. They test the part and if it fails send it back to base. I will most likely order tomorrow. Thanks for your advice guys, ill be sure to come back here regardless of the result.

Don't forget it has 5 years direct through Corsair as well.

Fordy

Nov 9, 2007
I just put together my new system with the ip35-e and the hx520, and everything went fine. It's been running for a couple of weeks now without even a hickup, everything worked perfect first go. Just letting you guys know cause I said I would. Thanks for all your help guys. =)

tomoyo

Oct 5, 2005
I just put together my new system with the ip35-e and the hx520, and everything went fine. It's been running for a couple of weeks now without even a hickup, everything worked perfect first go. Just letting you guys know cause I said I would. Thanks for all your help guys. =)

It's clear to me that any possible combination of psu and mobo can run into an isolated problem. Sometimes it'll occur more than once and make it seems like it's a regular issue. I'm sure in some random cases, there WILL be compatability issues like the Neohe/Asus problem of old, but generally the concern should be determining what caused the isolated issue. I'm betting it's often not the mobo/psu at all and some other interference. Anyways I'm glad we have some great support from Corsair in the first place just in case of such an issue.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I bought the HX520 because it got good reviews from reputable reviewers & because I got a darn good price (~$70).
I bought the IP35-E because it got good reviews from reputable reviewers & because I got a darn good price (~$69).
I bought the CoolerMaster RC690 because it got good reviews from reputable reviewers & because I got a darn good price (~$39).
I bought the HP DDR2 667 ram because it got good reviews in general & because I got a darn good price (~$19 for 2GB).
So far, i've had no problems, except w/the known double-boot issue w/the IP35-E which is a non-issue to me.
Corsair makes good stuff. Abit makes good stuff. Everyone & everything has problems occasionally.
I'm happy with mine! :)

aussiestilgar

Dec 2, 2007
Where'd you get the HX520 for $70?!

EDIT: Just saw that Frys.com has the HX520 for 99.99 -30 MIR right now

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I like my HX520, only thing I wish was all the cables were modular, I was spoiled by my Ultra X where even the ATX was modular and small/easy to work with. Well I guess since you have to have ATX having it modular is stupid, but I loved how thin and flexable my Ultra's ATX connector was.

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
For the OP (FYI) and YB (Question):

On my Main Rig (below), occasionally it takes more than one press of the power button to get the computer to power up. Never does it take more than five tries, but I don't think it's normal.

Is this something I should explore with the mobo on the ASUS forums? Or have you heard of this issue associated with Corsair PSU's?

Other than that issue, this HX520 is rock solid (voltages are pretty much stationary) and cool running.

Any info is appreciated.